Windows 10: Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer

Discus and support Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm using a new laptop running on Windows 10 64-bit. Since installing Office 2019 I have been having a few problems. The first problem is that I cannot... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by TheLyppardMan, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer

I'm using a new laptop running on Windows 10 64-bit. Since installing Office 2019 I have been having a few problems. The first problem is that I cannot select multiple Office files in Windows explorer. If I try, explorer freezes for about 15 seconds and then reverts back to only one file selected. The second problem is that sometimes after closing Word files, I see a message about recovering corrupted data from Normal (there's another message I've seen a couple of times as well, but I can't remember what it said, just that it didn't mean anything to me). This is usually followed by all my macros disappearing, but when I restart Word, they are all back again and working normally. At first I thought this might all have something to do with the solid state drive in my laptop, so I copied all the files onto my NAS, but the same behaviour occurred. Then I ran the check disc and check system files routines, but no errors were found. Hard Drive Sentinel also reports that my drive is in 100% perfect health. So I'm at a loss as to what might be the cause of all this. I did check and other files seem to behave normally in Windows explorer.

:)

TheLyppardMan, Jul 16, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 16, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jul 16, 2020
  4. desibabu Win User

Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer

Problems selecting multiple files in file explorer

While in file explorer (fe) I start by selecting the first file, press the shift key and start to scroll down using the down arrow key in order to select multiple files - by the time I've got to the 10th file the first x files have been automatically unselected
    - the x is a variable sometimes all of the above files have been unselected and not necessarily consecutive files have been unselected its totally random.

HOWEVER - if I click the down arrow key very slowly one file at a time - they remain selected.

This is a DELL laptop with the latest windows 10 (loaded laptop i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd etc.

Anyone encountered this?

desibabu, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer

1. Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer - Similar Threads - Problem selecting multiple

2. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  3. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  4. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  6. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  7. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.

Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.: Hi For some reason my computer which runs Windows 10 started to select multiple files in File Explorer automatically. For example, when I single click a file followed by single clicking a file 5 positions below, all 6 files are highlighted the behavior that would have been...
  9. Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer

Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer: I can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer. I select a file and my whole computer lags / freezes. It does select eventually. I go to select while pressing shift and my whole computer freezes again and the action isn't completed. It's only Microsoft files. I can...
  10. Problem Selecting Multiple Files

Problem Selecting Multiple Files: Suddenly I can't select multiple files in Windows 10 File Explorer. While holding CTRL or SHIFT, I select the second file and the first one is deselected. This is very annoying when I want to do a group action. What has happened and how can I fix it?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix multiple selection in file explorer

2. windows 11 stuck when selecting multiple files