Windows 10: Problem Selecting Multiple Files

Discus and support Problem Selecting Multiple Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Suddenly I can't select multiple files in Windows 10 File Explorer. While holding CTRL or SHIFT, I select the second file and the first one is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Travelling Gal, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Problem Selecting Multiple Files

Suddenly I can't select multiple files in Windows 10 File Explorer. While holding CTRL or SHIFT, I select the second file and the first one is deselected. This is very annoying when I want to do a group action. What has happened and how can I fix it?

:)

Travelling Gal, Sep 14, 2020

2. Can't select multiple files in windows 10

I know this is an OLDER post, but this issue still arises in Whinedows 10

Until now, I have been unable to select multiple files by the standard left click and hold then dragging a box over them, in any folder or on the desktop. Right clicking will multiple select files, but on releasing the button, it only offers the standard
    right click menu not the drag and drop or copy and paste option I am wanting.

As NONE of the suggestions above fixed the issue I had, I kept looking until I found the REAL FIX for
    MY problem. If this is shared by anyone else, this is how I fixed the issue on my PC.

In the control panel options mentioned in many replies, the box to be unticked is " Use check boxes to select items ". This does NOTHING to fix the drag and drop fault. All this option does is add a tick box next to the list of folder items. The " FIX "
    is the button BELOW this one. UNCHECK the stupid "Use Sharing Wizard" checkbox and drag/drop and copy/paste are all working fine now.

Dont AskDont Tell, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Jennlarin Win User
    Can't select multiple files in windows 10

Finally!!!!! YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT!

It was most definitely the

"Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended)" that needed to be unchecked in order to select multiple files. I never thought to even uncheck that one since it says its (recommended) that the "Use sharing Wizard" be checked.

It completely threw me off bc i assumed that Microsoft wouldn't be stupid enough to "recommend" using a particular setting that disables something as useful as selecting multiple files. But, turns out, i assumed wrong. Either way, my problem is solved. Thank
    you so much!

Jennlarin, Sep 14, 2020
  4. xypha Win User

Problem Selecting Multiple Files

Open With on multiple files?

you can do this using a workaround by using "Send to" on the right click context menu in Windows File Explorer. Here's how

Step 1 - Add Chrome shortcut to SendTo folder so that chrome may appear in the send to menu.

SendTo folder:%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

This can be done in one of several ways. I will mention one of the easiest below.

• Right-drag the Google Chrome shortcut that was created on the Desktop when Chrome installed, or the Chrome shortcut in the Start menu, to the SendTo folder and select Copy.

Note: Right-click this shortcut, select Properties, and confirm that the Target field contains no command line options, just the path + file name for Chrome.

Step 2: Select the 16 JPGs, right click, go to "Send to" & select "Google Chrome".

That's it. All JPGs will open in Chrome, each in its own tab.

I use this with Firefox, but it should work with Chrome too.

Problem Selecting Multiple Files AOrAC.png

Troubleshoot #1

If Google Chrome doesn't appear in the "Send to" menu, try restarting Windows File Explorer from Task Manager.

Troubleshoot #2

If the JPGs open in multiple windows, you might want to consider installing an extension in Chrome to prevent this behaviour. I suggest One Window.

xypha, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Problem Selecting Multiple Files

1. Problem Selecting Multiple Files - Similar Threads - Problem Selecting Multiple

2. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  3. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  4. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. select multiple files without losing selections

select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  6. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  7. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Select multiple files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Select multiple files: Selecting multiple files using control key has stopped. What has happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-multiple-files/6d74d5ba-2fb5-4c21-bd6c-56cf151b442f
  9. Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.

Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.: Hi For some reason my computer which runs Windows 10 started to select multiple files in File Explorer automatically. For example, when I single click a file followed by single clicking a file 5 positions below, all 6 files are highlighted the behavior that would have been...
  10. Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problem selecting multiple files in Windows explorer: I'm using a new laptop running on Windows 10 64-bit. Since installing Office 2019 I have been having a few problems. The first problem is that I cannot select multiple Office files in Windows explorer. If I try, explorer freezes for about 15 seconds and then reverts back to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer Send to several files issue