Windows 10: Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge

Discus and support Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have not had a problem setting the default browser, which for some time has been Maxthon. But suddenly (perhaps due to the April update?) not only... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by clayto, Apr 17, 2016.

1. clayto Win User

Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge

I have not had a problem setting the default browser, which for some time has been Maxthon. But suddenly (perhaps due to the April update?) not only has Edge taken over, I cannot now find a way to change it. When I go to default apps in Settings I am only offered the choice of Edge or 'look for an app in the Store'. The latter is plainly useless, there are very few browsers in the Store. In Maxthon it is still set as the default, but it just aint so. I do not know how to make the default browser in Edge itself. There is no reference to it in Edge Settings.

I doubt that this is deliberate on the part of MS? If it is I take a very dim view of it!

:)

clayto, Apr 17, 2016
  2. Tuomo_K Win User

Default Browser

I can not change default browser from Windows 10 setting. In setting / default browser setting, there is a plus sign. When I select default browser settings it opens the browser selection window showing Edge, Firefox, Chrome and other alternatives. When
    selecting some of those alternatives, window closes but the plus sign still remains in settigs window. Default browser selection does not cause any action. When I open a web page, Win10 every time opens a selection window to let me select which browser should
    be used. In addition, use always this browser checkbox is also turned on but with no affect.

Operating system Windows 10 Prp 1511 64bit Finnish language version.

Tuomo_K, Apr 17, 2016
  3. AnnekaVK Win User
    class not registered windows 10 edge

Hi,

I started to get this problem today and could not open anything on my desktop as it all depended on the new Edge browser. I tried everything suggested here with no success. I have now just changed my default browser back to Internet Explorer, and now
    everything working OK again. Go into Start, > Settings > Default apps and you will find Edge is default. Right click and you are given alternative browsers. I didn't particularly want all the new features on Edge so will stick with Internet Explorer.

Anne

AnnekaVK, Apr 17, 2016
  4. Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge

I've never heard of Maxthan before. Perhaps maybe try reinstalling the browser?

LovingWindows, Apr 17, 2016
  5. clayto Win User
    Maxthon has just been reinstalled, as it was updated about a week ago (one might think that could have caused the problem but it hardly explains why W10 is not allowing a choice: including Chrome, Firefox, etc.). By the way, it is long established and well regarded browser, fast, with good options & extensions, an apps Store, active forum and much else but it is true, for some reason it gets little attention.)

clayto, Apr 17, 2016
  6. clayto Win User
    As I have lost the ability to click a link, say in an email, and have it open my browser and the url, I decided for the time being I would set Edge as the default. I found I could not do it, in Setings / default apps. There is no response from clicking. So something is going wrong with default settings.

clayto, Apr 17, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I understand you're not able to set programs as default using Settings- presumably this didn't respond when you clicked one:

Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge [​IMG]

Do you notice anything else- like Some settings are managed by your organisation e.g. in Settings, Privacy, General? Or right click not responding on the taskbar.. any other symptoms?

If not, that's fine.

Note in passing for now, that 'As I have lost the ability to click a link, say in an email, and have it open my browser and the url,' - requires this to be set here if changing browser, as my (and others') experience shows this is not set by Settings, Defaults, peculiarly.

Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge [​IMG]

Now you have just installed Maxthon, but it has not appeared in your list of browser options (Like Firefox, Pale Moon in my first screenshot). Also you can't click to select a browser.

I'm wondering if you may have -for whatever reason- a permissions problem so things are not being written to the registry correctly.

Apart from the browser, can you change defaults for anything else or does the same thing happen?

First check for user profile corruption.
    Create a new user and see if you can set defaults there and post back.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge

1. Problem setting default browser to any alternative to Edge - Similar Threads - Problem setting default

2. Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10: Can't change the default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-any-browser-as-the-default-browser/29c54e57-06dd-48ca-9883-13d71614fc47
  3. Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10: Can't change the default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-any-browser-as-the-default-browser/29c54e57-06dd-48ca-9883-13d71614fc47
  4. Default browser setting will not stick including Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default browser setting will not stick including Edge: We have multiple Windows 10 Pro machines where the default browser for any domain user will be set to nothing upon login. We can set the default browser to Edge or anything else, but as soon as the user signs out and back in the setting is lost and there is no default set,...
  5. Set default browser to alternative browser

Set default browser to alternative browser: In the "Set Default Apps" settings page, there is no possible way to select a browser that is not either on the Windows store or has large userbase like Chrome. You used to be able to use Control Panel for this, but you changed that to just redirect to the same Settings page...
  6. Set Edge as Default Browser through GPO

Set Edge as Default Browser through GPO: Hi All, I am trying to set the default browser to Edge for all computers in my company's domain via a GPO. We are fully a Windows 10 shop, and I have followed Microsoft's instructions on how to do this for Windows 10, but the default browser is not being changed to Edge....
  7. Alternating Default Browser

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alternating Default Browser: So my usual browser is firefox. When I'm writing my paper I use Google Docs and I'd imagine it'd be easier to go with Chrome for that (and also i often use public computers for writing, so chrome is easier) Is there a feature (such as virtual desktop) that makes this...
  8. Cannot set Edge as default browser on Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot set Edge as default browser on Windows 10: Edge does not appear on the default browser list. [img] 113324
  9. Cannot set Edge as default browser | Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot set Edge as default browser | Windows 10: Edge does not appear on the default browser list. [img] 113324
  10. Windows won't set ANY default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Windows won't set ANY default browser: Pressing + will bring up the list but not set/keep the selection. 75048