Windows 10: Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions

Discus and support Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem with a program that routinely copies files from one network drive to another. After much work, it appears the problem is due to file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gvm7777, Jul 9, 2019.

1. gvm7777 Win User

Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions

I have a problem with a program that routinely copies files from one network drive to another. After much work, it appears the problem is due to file permissions that prevent the copy. All files are my own and I need a way of forcing permissions on all files as a means of getting around this problem.

This is how the permissions currently appear:

Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions 7ec25d19-1b18-4f4a-8f72-9fb791878c75?upload=true.png

And this is what I attempt to change them to:

Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions 795b3ffd-df26-4b38-bbab-d8e1615351b9?upload=true.png

But it fails with the following message:

Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions 801d8da4-f9e6-4b2b-a524-5ae993217351?upload=true.jpg

How do I get around this please?

TIA ,.... Greg

:)

gvm7777, Jul 9, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions :)

Frogger, Jul 9, 2019
  3. tom acito Win User
    how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions

How to edit permission of folders in vista

In vista if some software try to copy files or folders to original directory then installation fails or programms cant run due to permission.
    i want to edit permissions of folder ..but cant select any option..
    rightclick on any folder- properties-security-edit-select writre..but i'm unable to edit it.

that's y i'm unable to run some application
    even i'm not able to run emule.

plz solve my problem.

freebird_9924, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions

1. Problem setting/over-riding file/folder permissions - Similar Threads - Problem setting riding

2. Folder and files doesn't allow me to set permission.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder and files doesn't allow me to set permission.: A program that has been installed on my Windows 11 has do something that never allow me to delete the folder or to change permissions.If I go on advanced security settings and press the change owner nothing happen but the change owner link is disabled.Is all disabled and I...
  3. Folder and files doesn't allow me to set permission.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder and files doesn't allow me to set permission.: A program that has been installed on my Windows 11 has do something that never allow me to delete the folder or to change permissions.If I go on advanced security settings and press the change owner nothing happen but the change owner link is disabled.Is all disabled and I...
  4. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  5. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  6. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. setting file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    setting file permissions: Is there a way of doing "chmod 600" and "chmod 700" on Windows 10? I need to set these permissions for the key pair I need to make ssh passwordless. I've looked at answers posted here but none are very recent and seems very manual and tedious. There is no command? Ideally,...
  8. File & Folder permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File & Folder permissions: I have downloaded a game Forza Horizons from the Microsoft store. while trying to find the location of the exe to add to my Dragon Centre app i have unintentionally moved the exe to my desktop. when trying to move it back to the original location it gives me an error...
  9. Picture file trying to over-ride my existing picture files

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture file trying to over-ride my existing picture files: As a keen flickr member I have a lot of photographs on my computer. These are all neatly allocated to different files, depending upon a variety of variables. So far....all is well. Yesterday my neighbour kindly upgraded me to Windows 10. Everything seemed fine. Today I...
  10. Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem permissions for modify Files on programs folder: I come from windows 7 and i have not problem to copy delete etc. files on programs. Now every time i search to change file o delete or copy a windows appear ask me a permission... There is a way to disable this warning or ahve full acces to programs ? Thank Hispa 11933