Windows 10: Problem setting PIN in new computer

Discus and support Problem setting PIN in new computer in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I just bought a new desktop Acer with Windows 10 installed. The second time I started it up, I was asked for my Microsoft account username and... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by dnirody, Mar 3, 2021.

1. dnirody Win User

Problem setting PIN in new computer

I just bought a new desktop Acer with Windows 10 installed. The second time I started it up, I was asked for my Microsoft account username and password. I had a Hotmail address but it lapsed and the username/password were no longer valid. Using another PC, I opened a Microsoft account with a new Outlook account and a new password. Now when I turn on the new PC I get through the Microsoft account screens with no oproblem. But then it invites me to click on Next to install a PIN code. There is no scope for NOT having one. When I click on Next I get a message that there has been a mistake and the programme cannot continue with generating a PIN. I am asked to either click on Reetry or to skip the step tillo later. Having clicked Retry a large number of times on several fruitless attempts at opening a session, I tried skiop the step. When THAT is done, I go back to the introductory screen where I can either restart, turn off or sleep the PC. None of which helps me.

I've ensured that 1 caps lock is not activated and 2 that I am connected to the Internet. So this should not be the origin of my difficulty.

The computer is an Acer XC-895 desktop .

I have as yet not found a solution. So a helping hand would be truly appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

dnirody, Mar 3, 2021
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

Cannot set up PIN after Creators Update

In this case, we recommend to repair and set up a new PIN by doing the following steps:

• Open File Explorer and browser to this location:
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

• Delete everything within that folder. You must be logged in as the Administrator to do this.
    • Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.
    • Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN.
    • PIN sign in should work moving forward.

Let us know if the steps above works.

Rey Bel1, Mar 3, 2021
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    Why doesn't my pin work with the anniversary edition?

Hi Nancy,

We would like to know more about the issue. Before you had the Anniversary Update, were you using an 8-digit PIN?

For the meantime, we suggest that you remove the current PIN and create a new PIN. You can do that by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Settings, and select it from the list of results.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, select Remove.

After you have deleted your current PIN, create a new 4-digit PIN by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Settings, and select it from the list of results.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, select Add.

Once you have created your new 4-digit PIN, restart your computer and sign-in using the new 4-digit PIN.

Note: It is very important that you remove then create a new PIN rather than changing the current PIN.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Mar 3, 2021
  4. Problem setting PIN in new computer

Can't create pin for login. Pin stopped working

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern about creating pin to your computer, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC (click to get permission when prompted).
    • Delete the contents of that folder (delete everything in that folder, but leave that folder and everything above it).
    • Go back to settings, accounts, sign in options.
    • Your non-working pin will now be gone, and you can just click 'add a pin' and set it again.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

Problem setting PIN in new computer

1. Problem setting PIN in new computer - Similar Threads - Problem setting PIN

2. Set up new pin error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up new pin error: My laptop just came back from repair… for a 2nd time. I go on to use it and I can’t get past entering a pin.It says my old pin doesn’t work and I need to set up a new one. The problem with that, is that I click set up a new pin and it doesn’t do anything....
  3. Set up new pin error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Set up new pin error: My laptop just came back from repair… for a 2nd time. I go on to use it and I can’t get past entering a pin.It says my old pin doesn’t work and I need to set up a new one. The problem with that, is that I click set up a new pin and it doesn’t do anything....
  4. How to remove Hello pin and set new pin

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove Hello pin and set new pin: How to remove Hello pin and set new pin[move from Microsoft 365 and Office / Subscription, account, billing / For business / Domains in Microsoft 365]...
  5. SET UP NEW PIN AFTER UPDATE PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SET UP NEW PIN AFTER UPDATE PROBLEM: Last night before turning off my pc windows 11 i pressed update and shut down then went to bed. Next day i turn on my pc and it asks me to set up a new pin so i press it then it asks me to sign in to Microsoft. I put in my info but then it asks me to verify via a old number...
  6. SET UP NEW PIN AFTER UPDATE PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SET UP NEW PIN AFTER UPDATE PROBLEM: Last night before turning off my pc windows 11 i pressed update and shut down then went to bed. Next day i turn on my pc and it asks me to set up a new pin so i press it then it asks me to sign in to Microsoft. I put in my info but then it asks me to verify via a old number...
  7. Can't set up a new PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't set up a new PIN: "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again." This what I got after the latest update. If I click on "Set up my PIN", either nothing passes, or there's another notification showing that sends me to the store to get an app in order to do...
  8. unable to set a pin on new computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    unable to set a pin on new computer: hi i have just got a new mini computer that i am setting up an acepc i have got as far as the set up pin screen "request set up" and have now had a working "just a moment " screen which ive had for over half an hour i assume it doesnt take this long to get me to a...
  9. New computer- pin not working

New computer- pin not working: Hello-- I just bought a new Dell XPS and installed a PIN and password. The Pin hasn't worked since the get go? I reset the PIN to ensure it wasn't my error, but whenever I reboot, I have to default to use the password. I searched and found that deleting the NGC folder...
  10. setting pin on new laptop error

setting pin on new laptop error: dont see any options to enable using pin with my windows devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/setting-pin-on-new-laptop-error/ead9827d-c76a-4f8a-a787-1b00ebac51e8"