Windows 10: Problem setting up alias for Microsoft Account

Discus and support Problem setting up alias for Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am trying to set up an alias for my Microsoft account as I eventually want to change my sign in and billing email. Currently it is tied to a .edu.au... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PeterKriesler, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Problem setting up alias for Microsoft Account

I am trying to set up an alias for my Microsoft account as I eventually want to change my sign in and billing email. Currently it is tied to a .edu.au account, and I want to change it to my .hotmail.com account. However, I am getting an error message: This email is part of a reserved domain. Please enter a different email address.

Since I will lose my edu account, I want to move everything to my hotmail account, but it won't let me.

:)

PeterKriesler, Nov 26, 2020

2. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Change Account Primary Alias

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

By follow the steps below you can login using the alias and not the Microsoft account.

I suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.

• In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.

• Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Problem setting up alias for Microsoft Account

Microsoft account email alias problem

Hello Steven, *Smile

Your aliases share a single password, and you can send and receive email with each. Your primary alias will be the username you use to sign in to your account, the username that appears on your Windows 10 devices, and how you show up to recipients in email.

Is this what you did below to try and change your primary alias?

Change Primary Alias for Microsoft Account

Brink, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Problem setting up alias for Microsoft Account

1. Problem setting up alias for Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Problem setting alias

2. Setting up a Passkey for my Microsoft Account - Problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a Passkey for my Microsoft Account - Problem.: I am trying to set a Passkey for my Microsoft Account. Its a YubiKey OTP+FIDO+CCID. It says its set up and it shows in Devices and Printers.I go into Security Key and click Manage.I then get a message saying Touch Your Security Key and I can't get past it.I am running Windows...
  3. I want to set up a new laptop with a gmail account as an alias, but Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to set up a new laptop with a gmail account as an alias, but Microsoft account...: I'm trying to setup a new laptop for a friend. She had an old laptop running Windows 8 using an e-mail address from an ISP that no longer exists. I want to set up the new laptop using her existing gmail account as an alias, but I am getting a message back saying that this...
  4. I want to set up a new laptop with a gmail account as an alias, but Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to set up a new laptop with a gmail account as an alias, but Microsoft account...: I'm trying to setup a new laptop for a friend. She had an old laptop running Windows 8 using an e-mail address from an ISP that no longer exists. I want to set up the new laptop using her existing gmail account as an alias, but I am getting a message back saying that this...
  5. Account set-up problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account set-up problem: In setting up my account, I typed my email with a "2" instead of an "@" — that is, jrmfpc2gmail.com instead of *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Can you fix that for me or help me do it? Because of this mistake I can't access my account or use Office.Jim McCrea...
  6. Account set-up problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account set-up problem: In setting up my account, I typed my email with a "2" instead of an "@" — that is, jrmfpc2gmail.com instead of *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Can you fix that for me or help me do it? Because of this mistake I can't access my account or use Office.Jim McCrea...
  7. Microsoft account alias

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft account alias: I am trying to add my email to another Microsoft account as an alias, so I deleted the account that the email had my email so it would not say "This email address is already taken. Please try another." Do I have to wait the 60 days until my account is permanently closed to...
  8. Microsoft account email alias problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account email alias problem: My default alias used to be my default email address. Now I changed the alias not knowing that I would not be able to revert back to my @HOTmail.com alias.... so now unless I send a email to the alias all mail becomes undelivered. How can I switch the alias back to my...
  9. Microsoft Account primary alias

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Account primary alias: How do I change my Microsoft account primary alias? I am currently blocked from changing it. It is a personal account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account-primary-alias/578b7a78-249f-4040-b056-c2ca4cb18c8c"
  10. My microsoft account alias

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My microsoft account alias: Need to change my microsoft account alias and need to know how that will affect my windows 10 license and Xbox account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-account-alias/dc504620-df5f-491a-983d-442efb07e366"