Windows 10: Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

Discus and support Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I hope this is the correct place to post this question. So i have 2 Toshiba laptops and I have them in a workgroup so that Laptop 1 (1803) can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bartjunited, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

Hi all I hope this is the correct place to post this question.

So i have 2 Toshiba laptops and I have them in a workgroup so that Laptop 1 (1803) can sync files with Laptop 2 (1803) using Free File Sync.

I rebuilt Laptop 2 using Macrium the other day and now I cant seem to see Laptop 2 from 1.

I have tried to re add Laptop 2 to the workgroup and also reshared the folders that I want to share.
    In doing this I have added the group Everyone and given it Read/Write permissions
    Ive also checked that network sharing is on too.

What am i doing wrong

and is there a better more secure way to do this? essentially I just want to sync some files between the 2 laptops

TIA Bart

:)

bartjunited, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Issue with accessing shared files on Homegroup

Original title: Homegroup Issue

<p>I have a laptop and a desktop both running W10 home.&nbsp; Homegroup on both.&nbsp; Each can see the others shared files, pics, etc..&nbsp; The laptop can access the shares on the desktop.</p><p></p><p>The problem is that when I try to access the shared
    file on the laptop from the desktop I get an error message:

Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops 7570a866-eeab-4fe6-8a1a-4e8f6c8bdcfb.jpg

I have tried many solutions from other sites, but they don't related directly to W10. Many of the methods suggested seem to call for steps that cannot be done on W10.

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    W10 cant access WS2008 file shares

I have the following setup:

Server: Proliant series, with my required folders shared with 'Administrators', WS2008

Clients:
    2 Laptops, W10 Home installation |
    1 Desktop, W10 Pro installation

All are connected to the same router, there is only 1 router which is also our internet gateway

Previously

Whenever I wanted to retrieve or store files on the server, I would navigate to it through explorer \MY-SERVER\ and be prompted for login credentials. I provided the Administrator credentials and I could then see and interact with the file shares, as expected. This was true of all clients on the network.

Changes

Yesterday an order for a new mobo/cpu arrived for the Desktop. After installing these I flattened the boot drive and reinstalled W10 (for good house keeping)

Now

If I try to access the server (nav to \MY-SERVER) I am presented with the following message:
    "Windows cannot access \MY-SERVER\

You do not have permission to access \MY-SERVER. Contact your network administrator to request access"

It is not even prompting me for login credentials. Whats curious is that if I navigate to a specific shared folder, eg \MY-SERVER\stuff, then I AM prompted to login (after a long pause), but the login dialog is captioned "Access denied", and providing the correct login credentials presents a similar Network Error message.

The server also does not appear in the list of network places on the Desktop. The other clients (2 W10 laptops) can still see and access the Server as normal.

Notes

• The desktop can reach the server through ping and Remote Desktop (I
      would just live with it and copy files through the tsclient share
      which appears during an RDP session, but I cannot stream files this
      way).
    • The server has not stale credentials in Credential Manager
    • All systems are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP)
    • Reg keys for 'restrictanonymous' are set to 0, although this surely would not affect an authenticated login anyway?

What am I doing wrong? Why is the W10 Desktop not able to access the shares in the same way the other W10 clients can?

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

How to file share between 2 pc's only?

Ok I've been looking all over the net and cant find a clear way to connect my pc and laptop to each other. I have a router Linksys 160N. The problem is I charge my neighbor $20 a month to use my network wireless only. They have 3 pc's on it. I have 3 pc's and 2 laptops on it. No im not having lag. The question is how in a step by step way how can I connect my new laptop and my main pc to each other over the network only. secure of course to be able to get any file from each of the 2 comptuers anytime I want.

The os im using is windows 7 home premium 64

details please i am a bit of a noob when it comes to this.

thank you

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

1. Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops - Similar Threads - Problem Sharing Files

2. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  3. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  4. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. sharing files between W7 & W10 pc's

in Windows 10 Customization
    sharing files between W7 & W10 pc's: I have literally spent a full week trying to get my W7 & W10 pc's sharing. I have read thru dozens of online articles, none of which are helpful. I don't want to share individual files & folders... I want to share everything between these two pc's as I transition from W7 to...
  6. File sharing between 2 computers

File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  7. File Sharing with 2 x W10 PC's

File Sharing with 2 x W10 PC's: I think I have done everything correctly ....but.. I can see the ICONs for both PCs in the NETWORK sharing Explorer window on PC1 I can see the ICON for one PC in the NETWORK sharing Explorer window on PC2 - I only see the ICON for PC1 I am on PC2 but no icon showing I...
  8. Sharing documents between 2 users on a laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sharing documents between 2 users on a laptop: Ho w do you share all the documents between 2 different family member accounts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-documents-between-2-users-on-a-laptop/c57adc3b-51a5-47c3-bfc3-de3a70e7fa74
  9. Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops: Hi all I hope this is the correct place to post this question. So i have 2 Toshiba laptops and I have them in a workgroup so that Laptop 1 (1803) can sync files with Laptop 2 (1803) using Free File Sync. I rebuilt Laptop 2 using Macrium the other day and now I cant seem to...
  10. Sharing data between 2 home laptops

Sharing data between 2 home laptops: I have recently rebuilt both my laptops and now can't seem to share data between them I have previously managed to do this using homegroups and file sharing but not sure if I'm using best practices. Can you advise what's the simplest way. It's mainly to back up music and...