Windows 10: problem sharing files between computers on the same network

Discus and support problem sharing files between computers on the same network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I have (successfully) connected/shared my old Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop (via an Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Desert2som, Dec 7, 2015.

1. problem sharing files between computers on the same network

I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I have (successfully) connected/shared my old Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop (via an Ethernet cable) so that I can copy files from the old to the new. An odd problem has occurred: When attempting to copy some folders (e.g., "My Pictures", "My Music"), only a portion of the existing files are getting copied. When I look at the "Properties" of the folder on my old computer, I see the true folder size and number of files in that folder. However, when I view the properties of that same folder on my new computer (via the shared network; and before I initiate any copying to the new computer), the folder size and number of files is far less. For other folders I've shared between the two computers, all files are present and accounted for (e.g., "My Documents"). For the folders on my old laptop where the folder size and file count don't match what I see on the new laptop, I have "unshared" those folders and "re-shared" them to see if that made any difference, and it didn't (even after rebooting both laptops). Any ideas why I'm not seeing the same folder size and number of files for the same folder when viewed on my old laptop and when viewed as a networked/shared folder on my new laptop (before any copying)?

:)

Desert2som, Dec 7, 2015
  2. CraigLong Win User

Why does the networking on windows never work?

Same problem I face with Remote Desktop Connection. It works one way but not the other. I'm connected to my homegroup.

But I have no problem with 3rd party software. And I can share folders between computers with no problem if I go to "Network" in file explorer to find them.

CraigLong, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Computers disappeared from network

Problem: Cannot share files between two computers on the same network anymore - Computers have disappeared from "Network" in windows explorer on both ends. Both computers are using Windows 10.

The files are still shared, the same as they have been for years.

I can ping both ways across the network.

Network discovery is ON on both computers.

File and Printer sharing is ENABLED.

Computers have no connectivity problems aside from not being visible.

Computers are still not visible when Windows firewall is disabled, when antivirus is disabled, and when the router firewall is disabled.

Homegroup has been bugged since windows 10 update, cannot be used. (Computer A sees a homegroup to join, hosted by itself from when it was still running windows 8, but Computer A cannot join a homegroup that it hosts, and cannot host a homegroup while it's
    trying to join one. None of it works for anyone.) Sharing files via the network has been working since the windows 10 update until a couple weeks ago when all computers vanished from windows explorer. What's funny is that I have software that relies on network
    sharing to access the host computer and that works fine. They seem to be connected, I just can't see the files to access them.

Fyresparxx, Dec 7, 2015
Thema:

problem sharing files between computers on the same network

1. problem sharing files between computers on the same network - Similar Threads - problem sharing files

2. computer sharing files in same network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer sharing files in same network: Both my computers are running Windows 11. Both are on the same network and set as Private connection. Both computers have the documents folder set as Shared with everyone. Shared Experiences -Nearby sharing is turn on. One computer lets me move files to the other, while the...
  3. computer sharing files in same network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer sharing files in same network: Both my computers are running Windows 11. Both are on the same network and set as Private connection. Both computers have the documents folder set as Shared with everyone. Shared Experiences -Nearby sharing is turn on. One computer lets me move files to the other, while the...
  4. Sharing folders and files between two PC's on the same network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders and files between two PC's on the same network: I have two computers on my LAN. Desktop is Homeuser-pc. Laptop is User-pc. I can access shared Homeuser-pc files from User-pc. I can’t access User-pc files from Homeuser-pc. I have pinged both computers from the other and parcels have been received. I have shared all of my...
  5. sharing file between computer

sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  6. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Support
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  7. File Sharing between 4 Windows 10 computers on the same network

File Sharing between 4 Windows 10 computers on the same network: We have 4 computers running Windows 10 on the same Local Area Network. Using File Explorer, they can usually see each other but when an attempt is made to access one from another, I am asked to enter theNetwork Credentials User Name and password}. I have tried every...
  8. trying to share files between computers on the same wifi network

trying to share files between computers on the same wifi network: Struggling to share files between my desktop and laptop on the same wifi in the same house. Had no problems with HomeGroup, but that's long gone. File Explorer = share file with Specific Person...all I get is Windows cannot find that person Anyone figure this out?...
  9. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...
  10. share file between computers

share file between computers: Trying to share files between computers on same Wifi network but when I click on file to share.. Share icon is gray and not available to click on. Using Win 10 home edition and other computer is using Win 10 pro...