Windows 10: Problem switching to GPT

Discus and support Problem switching to GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The background :- 1. I installed Win10 pro over Win7x64 ultimate on Computer A which went smoothly. 2. I noted the install was on a single partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by meditek, Jan 8, 2019.

1. meditek Win User

Problem switching to GPT

The background :-

1. I installed Win10 pro over Win7x64 ultimate on Computer A which went smoothly.

2. I noted the install was on a single partition on the SSD. The SSD over provisioning area had vanished. There was no separate boot partition presumably because there had not been one with the Win 7 install.

3. I built computer B, swapped the SSD, changed the bios to MBR and booted into Win 10 which I re-registered and installed the new MB drivers. I deleted the recovery partition as I prefer regular back ups.

4. I decided to change MBR to UEFI using MS's MBR2GPT which failed with a 'could not find an OS' . I assumed this was because I did not have a separate boot partition so I added a 200mb partition prior to the OS partition but got stuck looking for a way to move the MBR to this new partition. Tried MBR2GPT again with the same result.

5. Getting a little desperate I bought AOEMI partition Assistant which was a dud as it could not find 2 DLL's presumably because the installer hadn't registered them. They refused to register for me too as they must be corrupt!

6. It seems that a) I wipe the disk and re-install win10 with UEFI or b) find a way of moving the MBR to the new partition and then hoping that MBR2GPT decides to work. Not keen on (a)

Any suggestions would be appreciated except for 'I should have stuck with Win7' or 'why change to UEFI',

Thanks

:)

meditek, Jan 8, 2019

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Smittychat., Jan 8, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Problem switching to GPT

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Problem switching to GPT

1. Problem switching to GPT - Similar Threads - Problem switching GPT

2. Problems after convert MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems after convert MBR to GPT: I was having issues with BSOD while playing games and was recommend to either reset or fresh install. I have a M.2 WD black as my system disk partitioned with one other partition. I have a 500 gig WD blue 2 partitions one for backup\programs and other as downloads and another...
  3. changing drives from mbr to gpt problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    changing drives from mbr to gpt problems: hi really after my previous question i find out my pc's only problem is when i try to shutdown or restart or sleep or even when windows get a problem and wanna restart its self cant do it i remember while installing my windows i had the problem but not in my previous...
  4. GPT - UEFI problem, reinstall required?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT - UEFI problem, reinstall required?: Hi guys, New to the forum, thanks for the help you provided in the past *Biggrin Hope you can help as my PC is now inaccessible. Yesterday I installed the new MB and CPU/RAM. Everything was fine, I started Windows, installed chipset drivers (moved from Intel to AMD),...
  5. MBR to GPT problem

MBR to GPT problem: While picking a partition for dual boot windows says it cannot be installed on mbr drive. Now i used diskpart to split the partition then nothing happened, it says it cannot process because the memory was low. How can i fix it....
  6. Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Problem creating GPT VHD automatically: I have a script which produces a diskpart script to create a virtual hard drive. Code: create vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx" maximum=60000 type=expandable select vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx" attach vdisk create partition...
  7. Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem creating GPT VHD automatically: I have a script which produces a diskpart script to create a virtual hard drive. Code: create vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx" maximum=60000 type=expandable select vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx" attach vdisk create partition...
  8. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  9. GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR

GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR: Why windows 10 is not getting reinstalled on GPT or MBR partition on same PC? I am reinstalling fresh windows 10 in my PC. But this time I got this ERROR. Why this ERROR as windows 10 was previously intalled on this same PC, same partition? Why I need to convert my...
  10. switch-on problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    switch-on problem: After upgrading my Win 10, I now find at 'switch-on', the P.C now LOCKS at initial switch-on and needs to be switched , on/off, before booting Greatly appreciate any help, why this should happen. 86123