Windows 10: Problem upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support Problem upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I performed the upgrade from 7 to 10 on my laptop with no issues. However the upgrade on my desktop didn't go well. Home built computer, Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Larry S_222, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Problem upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I performed the upgrade from 7 to 10 on my laptop with no issues. However the upgrade on my desktop didn't go well. Home built computer, Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel I5-2500 processor, 16GB ram, 64bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 graphics card, 931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A SCSI Disk Device SATA , 465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500G SCSI Disk Device SATA SSD.

I updated my drives before hand. Downloaded the Windows Media Tool and followed all the prompts. I selected to save all my files and not do a clean install.

Windows 10 loaded and proceeded to the sign in page. Signed in and got the select privacy settings page. Did that and hit accept. Showed my desktop until all the taskbar icons loaded, the went to blue error screen and the restart loop.

Restarted and functioned normally in SAFE MODE and SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. Shut off anything in startup menu that didn't look necessary. I did a boot log, but don't have the understanding to make use of it. Same with the error log.

What would be my next steps to rectify my issues with Windows 10?

:)

Larry S_222, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Problem upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Problem upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

1. Problem upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Problem upgrading

2. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  3. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  4. Problem upgrading Windows 10 Enterprise LSTC build 1809 to Windows 11 Enterprise

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem upgrading Windows 10 Enterprise LSTC build 1809 to Windows 11 Enterprise: HiOne of my friends ran into a problem when she tried to upgrade her Windows 10 Enterprise LSTC build 1809 to Windows 11 EnterpriseAccording to the upgrading tool her CPU, memory and disk space were all ok, but...Her regarding her operating system for the upgrade to windows...
  5. Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10: I bought a new HP PC that came with windows 10. I received a notification that I can upgrade to windows 11 for free, which I did. I have continued to stay updated since then and my PC now runs on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2.I keep getting this error: We can't activate Windows...
  6. Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10

Activation Problems after Upgrading from Windows 10: I bought a new HP PC that came with windows 10. I received a notification that I can upgrade to windows 11 for free, which I did. I have continued to stay updated since then and my PC now runs on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2.I keep getting this error: We can't activate Windows...
  7. We have two Windows PCs and one upgraded to Windows 11 no problem, but the other cannot be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We have two Windows PCs and one upgraded to Windows 11 no problem, but the other cannot be...: We have two Windows-based PCs.Both are only running Windows security no Kaspersky, etc..Both are running the same applications.They were both on Windows 10.We agreed to the free upgrade on both.One of them upgraded to Windows 11 without any trouble.The other refuses to be...
  8. We have two Windows PCs and one upgraded to Windows 11 no problem, but the other cannot be...

We have two Windows PCs and one upgraded to Windows 11 no problem, but the other cannot be...: We have two Windows-based PCs.Both are only running Windows security no Kaspersky, etc..Both are running the same applications.They were both on Windows 10.We agreed to the free upgrade on both.One of them upgraded to Windows 11 without any trouble.The other refuses to be...
  9. Upgrading from Win 11 HSL to Pro using OEM license and Office Home Student problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 11 HSL to Pro using OEM license and Office Home Student problem: im currently helping a client who just bought a bnib HP Laptop that came bundle with Win 11 HSL & Office 2021 Home Student its still hasnt been setup yet and they were asking to upgrade it into Win 11 Pro using OEM license they already bought the license from internet and...
  10. Upgrading from Win 11 HSL to Pro using OEM license and Office Home Student problem

Upgrading from Win 11 HSL to Pro using OEM license and Office Home Student problem: im currently helping a client who just bought a bnib HP Laptop that came bundle with Win 11 HSL & Office 2021 Home Student its still hasnt been setup yet and they were asking to upgrade it into Win 11 Pro using OEM license they already bought the license from internet and...