Windows 10: Problem when I Right Click on a Desktop Icon or on any file

Discus and support Problem when I Right Click on a Desktop Icon or on any file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just sat and read through all 27 pages in case someone had already posted about my problem, but this is not the case. I upgraded to 20H2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ukpeterg, Nov 22, 2020.

1. ukpeterg Win User

Problem when I Right Click on a Desktop Icon or on any file

I have just sat and read through all 27 pages in case someone had already posted about my problem, but this is not the case. I upgraded to 20H2 yesterday. All very painless and relatively fast.

However, I have a problem that when I Right Click on a Desktop Icon or on any file in Windows Explorer, I get the small round revolving circle and nothing happens, except that I cannot do anything else on my computer, other than Ctrl-Alt Del to go to Task Manager to click on Windows Explorer and click Reset to get myself out of this loop.

I cannot find a fix for this on the web. Does anyone else have this problem, or better still, has anyone got a fix for this?

Kind regards,

:)

ukpeterg, Nov 22, 2020

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Nov 22, 2020
  3. No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Nov 22, 2020
  4. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem when I Right Click on a Desktop Icon or on any file - Similar Threads - Problem Right Click

2. the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?: how to fix the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?This situation only happen in some of folders and desktop, some other folder is act normally....
  3. the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?: how to fix the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?This situation only happen in some of folders and desktop, some other folder is act normally....
  4. the hung problem when I right click or left click on a desktop file name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem with right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with right click on desktop: I have an issues on Windows 10 Desktop where when I right click , I get the circle for minutes, and then nothing happens. When I click on a file on desktop it works fine but it only hangs when I hit an empty space in the desktop and I can't figure out the reason. Anyone ever...
  6. Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer

Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer: I'm having major issues with right clicking things on the desktop and with right clicking in file explorer. When I right click on both the desktop and in file explorer, I get the blue spinning circle and it never returns back to normal. The right clicking on desktop started...
  7. window installer is not working when right click on any desktop file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window installer is not working when right click on any desktop file: Sir, window installer is not working when right click on any desktop file and at the same pop up is opening shown as windows is preparing. Please give the answer....
  8. Re; a problem with right clicking on any file

in Windows 10 Support
    Re; a problem with right clicking on any file: This is on a Gateway laptop NV570P-18U OS Win 10 Home 64 bit. It doesn't mater what file or folder that I right click on. The menu is very slow to come up. And sometimes the blue circle just sits there and goes around and around and that's it. I have researched this problem...
  9. Desktop icons and right click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and right click: I can not find my desktop icons nor can I right click on my desktop this is what my desktop looks like[IMG] this is what I want it too look like how do I fix this? thank you [ATTACH]...
  10. Remote desktop crashes when right click icon on desktop

Remote desktop crashes when right click icon on desktop: Hi friends i have 2 computers one is laptop and the other is desktop.Both are on windows 10 with genuine windows license and 100% updated. I am having a weird problem and it started recently. When connected to laptop via remote desktop, if i right click on any icon then the...