Windows 10: Problem when installing W10 in SSD

Discus and support Problem when installing W10 in SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I'm going to describe inch by inch every single detail of my problem. Thank you everyone for trying to help and please someone like me who is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Problem when installing W10 in SSD

Hi.

I'm going to describe inch by inch every single detail of my problem. Thank you everyone for trying to help and please someone like me who is dying about this issue...

1) I have a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and ALL my precious files.

2) I used to have Windows 7 in there. It was really slow. So then I updated to Windows 10.

3) "Marvelous, it's fast!". However, many devices (BlueTooth, gamepads, etc.) and Windows Update didn't work properly.

4) I contacted Microsoft service. After some research, they asked me to force an 'inplace update'. I did.

5) Now everything works fine. I have my BlueTooth connection, I can share files with my mobile, I can plug in every single USB thing I had here around...

6) ... except the Internet. It's gone. Simple as that. Ethernet into the motherboard doesn't work and neither an extra ehernet card, a WiFi card or a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor.

7) I asked again the Microsoft service and they just asked me to use an anti-malware tool which obviously said everything ruled fine.

8) I decided to do a clean installation of Windows 10, which I assume is what I had to do from the beginning.

9) Since I didn't want to loose all my files, I have bought an SSD.

10) The idea is: install W10 from scratch into the SSD and remain the old HDD as a slave. In other words: OS in SSD; personal files in HDD.

11) I downloaded Media Creation Tool from Microsoft website and created a bootable flash drive.

12) I plugged both the SSD and the USB flash drive and booted the latter. I also unplugged the old HDD.

13) I selected a "CUSTOM" install.

14) In the partition menu, I selected the SDD and pressed "NEXT".

15) Error message as following (Spanish):

Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition

16) Can't go any further.

So, the issue is: What do I have to do in order to...

1) ... install Windows 10 in this new SSD from scratch (clean install)?

2) ... avoid losing files in HDD?

Thank you VERY much!!!!!

:)

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  2. Rober194 Win User

Windows 10 Upgraded and Activated

I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro And it is Activated. I've decided I want to install a new SSD. Will I be able to install the new SSD and install W10 Pro on my New SSD and will it activate?

Rober194, Apr 1, 2016
  3. pinarello Win User
    Settings app hangs on storage and "apps and features"

Thanks for that reply. Yes, when I broke the mirror, problem went away. But then I reestablished a fresh mirror under W10 and the problem returned. Since I went back to 8.1 I have been unable to set up the mirror again. Of course, the whole purpose of
    the mirror is to protect data so if one ssd fails, I can boot off the other then replace the failed ssd. I may try installing W10 back on the 2nd ssd as a fresh install and run in a dual boot arrangement for a while just to see if W10 alone can function
    without a series of issues creeping in. As long as I still have a 8.1 installation I can boot, then I can do my work (as a photographer) without system issues.

pinarello, Apr 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Problem when installing W10 in SSD

Leave the SSD and HDD data cables unplugged. Boot the computer from Windows 10 install USB/DVD. Once you get the the first blue screen "install now" - carefully plug the SSD data cable in. Then continue. Sandisk recommends unplugging and plugging in the SSD power cable, might want to try that before plugging in the data cable.

NavyLCDR, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Hello DiegoPonga Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The first thing needed would be to unplug the 1tb drive 7 was installed onto. Apparently the 10 installer may have already tried placing boot files as well as one or two temp installation folders onto the wrong drive. For a step by step clean install of 10 there are a pair of guides for seeing a Clean Install of 10 without the Need to Upgrade First you can look over carefully.

The part of not seeing a clean install of 10 make an SSD bootable seems to be a recurring problem. You won't need to unplug the power plug but simply the data cable which will instantly make the drive totally invisible to the bios as well as everything else including the 10 installer! The 7 drive is however what needs to be removed from the equation as that can confuse the 10 installer at times. Seen more often however when having any non OS drives present that will do more to prevent a working install.

Night Hawk, Apr 1, 2016
  6. Thank you very much! However, It didn't work *Sad.

Is W10 related to the motherboard in some way?

Thank you very much for your response.

My HDD is not W7. It used to have W7, but it is now W10. It has been W10 for about 4 months. Last week I made an inplace update that solved everything but ****ed up my Internet connection.

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Few questions:
    Do you see SSD in BIOS ?
    Is SATA set to AHCI mode ?
    Is SSD plugged in first SATA port ?
    When SATA is set to AHCI mode, SSD might not show up in usual place in BIOS but only in the place where you set which disk is first in the list to BOOT from.
    You may also want to turn off Gigabyte logo screen at starting so it shows exactly what is going on during the POST.

CountMike, Apr 1, 2016
  8. Problem when installing W10 in SSD

Yes, I can see it. And yes, it is now in AHCI. Some people claimed IDE mode didn't work well with SSD for intalling W10, so I changed. Maybe I should turn back to IDE and then unplug-plug like NavyLCDR recommended?

Ok, I'll disable logo screen *Wink

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  9. Problem when installing W10 in SSD [​IMG]

This is my BIOS configuration screen. There are a couple of options related to IDE/AHCI. What would you recommend?

By the way, let's assume I buy a new motherboard. Would I be able to install W10 with the same product key?

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    AHCI mode is essential for Trim to work and trim is needed to keep SSD from slowing down after a while so it's important.
    That eSATA you can leave in IDE mode. "OnChip SATA Type" can be in AHCI mode too. That's native SATA on South Bridge while the other ones are probably Marvel chip.
    If you still have OS on HDD, you may want to BOOT from it and initialize and format SSD in NTFS and set it as Active before trying to install windows on SSD again.

CountMike, Apr 1, 2016
  11. Thank you very much for your quick answer!!

It is somehow extrange, because the BIOS recognises perfectly the HDD and the SDD, while in Windows 10 (booted from HDD), it just recognises the former. The latter, however, is invisible in Windows. Maybe I need some cmd stuff?

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    Maybe you'll see it better with Download Active@ Partition Manager and be able to do it from there. I had that MB just UD3 and Kingston SSD Now V300 was working on it.

CountMike, Apr 1, 2016
  13. Problem when installing W10 in SSD

Sorry. It does recognise my SSD. I used WinKey + X, then Disk Manager and then it shows an unassigned SSD. How do I format it into NTFS and how do I assign it a letter?

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  14. Okay. I did it using Disk Manager. It is now E:/ and it has an NTFS format.

DiegoPonga, Apr 1, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    You can try installation now and see if it's recognized. As only disk and in first SATA3 port.

CountMike, Apr 1, 2016
Thema:

Problem when installing W10 in SSD

1. Problem when installing W10 in SSD - Similar Threads - Problem installing W10

2. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  3. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  4. Install W10 on new SSD Failing

Install W10 on new SSD Failing: I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VPCYB15KX), a bit old but working nonetheless currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and works fine, but is quite slow so I decided to upgrade to an SSD. Picked up a crucial MX200 250 GB SSD and was going to upgrade to Windows 10 (fresh install)...
  5. ssd problem installing

ssd problem installing: hey everyone when i put this pc together i've built it with a m.2 950pro, install win10 from a usb, system is awesome. problem, i wanted to install the crucial for games, i know the m.2 shares pci-exp, but i've tried all the sata ports and new cables while using onboard...
  6. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  7. W10 installation problem

W10 installation problem: I installed W10 on my W7 machine the first day it was available but I reverted back to W7 after two weeks due to video driver problems. Now I plan to install 10 again on a brand new hard drive in the same machine and I'm hoping that I can switch hard drives back and forth...
  8. Installation problems on SSD

Installation problems on SSD: Hi there, I hope you guys can help me with a little problem I encountered while installing. I got a new Computer (new mb, a ssd, new cpu etc) and after assembling it I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the SSD via a bootable USB drive. Only the SSD, the dvd drive and the usb...
  9. Problem with installing W10

Problem with installing W10: Hi I'm having problems with installing W10. First of all, for some reason, I'm still waiting for the upgrade to commense automatically. When checking the PC, via the installation tool, I'm told that there's a problem with the driver for the network card. Maybe this...
  10. Problems since W10 Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems since W10 Install: Since the W10 upgrade I have experienced problems. Firstly in any browser I am unable to use Ctrl c, Ctrl v or any other command that starts with Ctrl. When I press Ctrl the browser immediately zooms to maximum size and I am unable to reduce the magnification at all....