Windows 10: Problem when using "Save as" on a download document

Discus and support Problem when using "Save as" on a download document in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I updated Windows 10 yesterday and since the update I have been having an issue when using save as on documents that I am downloading. I have seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarcHogg, Jul 8, 2019.

1. MarcHogg Win User

Problem when using "Save as" on a download document

I updated Windows 10 yesterday and since the update I have been having an issue when using save as on documents that I am downloading.

I have seen the issue with my Quick Books software, Chrome and other applications.

I select download from within the application that I am using and then the save box appears. I look to enter the name that I want to save the file as but the keyboard input produces a range of random characters. To overcome the problem I have to save the file and then use the "rename" function to change the file name to what I want.

I have tried re-starting the machine and logging in and out of the applications where I have seen the issue but with no luck.

This is really frustrating.

I appreciate any assistance to solve this issue

:)

MarcHogg, Jul 8, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 8, 2019
  3. BobZ Win User
    Unable to Save to Documents

I can't move, copy or save anything to my Documents folder. I checked the properties of the folder, under serurity it listed only Home Users and WMP Network Svc. My account name is listed in the srcurity tabs of Pictures, Music, etc., and I am able to save, copy and move to those folders. My account is listed in C:/Windows/Users/myname/Documents under the security tab. How do I add my name to the Documents folder in File Explorer? I think that should fix my problem.

In a not so critical glitch, my computer will not go to sleep using the power settings in the control panel.

BobZ, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Problem when using "Save as" on a download document

how to save scanned photos and documents to computer

Unfortunately, after following your instructions, the problem persists.

Vasileios Vlachos, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Problem when using "Save as" on a download document

1. Problem when using "Save as" on a download document - Similar Threads - Problem using Save

2. My downloads are being saved as PUB documents and I want to save them as PDF Documents....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My downloads are being saved as PUB documents and I want to save them as PDF Documents....: My downloads are being saved as PUB documents and I want to save them as PDF Documents. How can I change the settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-downloads-are-being-saved-as-pub-documents-and/a222facc-2e4f-4875-b985-75afba5c45c0
  3. My downloads are being saved as PUB documents and I want to save them as PDF Documents....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My downloads are being saved as PUB documents and I want to save them as PDF Documents....: My downloads are being saved as PUB documents and I want to save them as PDF Documents. How can I change the settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-downloads-are-being-saved-as-pub-documents-and/a222facc-2e4f-4875-b985-75afba5c45c0
  4. Downloading and Saving Files problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading and Saving Files problem: I received emails of files I needed.From gmail, I opened the email, opened the file, proceeded to Download the file. Then from Downloads, instead of Open, I did a Save As. I put the pdf docs into a different subfolder under Documents. After I confirmed the document looked...
  5. Downloading and Saving Files problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading and Saving Files problem: I received emails of files I needed.From gmail, I opened the email, opened the file, proceeded to Download the file. Then from Downloads, instead of Open, I did a Save As. I put the pdf docs into a different subfolder under Documents. After I confirmed the document looked...
  6. Downloading and Saving Files problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Saving a document.

Saving a document.: When I save a word or any file it automatically saves in 4 locations. Even though I want it save in This PC. When I delete the file in one it deletes in all. I do I get this to stop?...
  8. Saving Documents Created Using WordPad

Saving Documents Created Using WordPad: I would like to know WHERE documents go when I click on "Save" as opposed to using "Save As." I've kind of "lost" a couple. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-documents-created-using-wordpad/252404a9-b76e-4798-8bed-883fdd83c7f0"
  9. Scanned documents will only save to "Downloads" flolder

Scanned documents will only save to "Downloads" flolder: My HP Photosmart 6520e will scan but the file will not save to any folder other than downloads. It has always worked well until yesterday. It has been some time since it was used so there may be an update to Win 10 that changed things. I reloaded and updated the printer...
  10. Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account: When trying to add an email account to Outlook 2013 on my daughters Surface Pro 3 running Win10 I get the following error message AFTER the test message is successfully sent. The specified device, file, or path cannot be accessed. It may have been deleted, it may be in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Save as on a download document not working