Windows 10: Problem while booting from new SSD in Lenovo laptop.

Discus and support Problem while booting from new SSD in Lenovo laptop. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I installed a new WD green SSD in my laptop and cloned windows 10 on it from old hard drive. I installed SSD in Disk drive portion. Now when I try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ashu....., May 18, 2019.

1. Ashu..... Win User

Problem while booting from new SSD in Lenovo laptop.

So I installed a new WD green SSD in my laptop and cloned windows 10 on it from old hard drive. I installed SSD in Disk drive portion.

Now when I try to boot from my SSD/HDD in legacy, it shows error 'Media test failure.Check cable.'But when I boot it from Windows boot manager, it boots from hard drive,and doesn't show any errors. Both HDD and SSD are detected in device manager,so there is no connection problem.

So how should I boot from new SSD??

:)

Ashu....., May 18, 2019
  2. user33331 Win User

Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    BIOS doesn't recognize the second HDD (hard drive caddy)

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, May 18, 2019
  3. organDan Win User
    stuck after adding SSD to my new Lenovo desktop

I planned to migrate Windows 10 from my new Lenovo desktop's C: drive with a 1T HDD to a newly-installed SSD. Cloning the OS (and a few other C: files) to the new SSD with EaseUS Todo seemed to go successfully, but I don't know how to complete the process
    - here's why....

The Lenovo boots successfully when ONLY the HDD drive is disconnected, and the C: drive is the SSD. All installed programs run normally.

But when I restart with both drives connected, I have a Windows A: drive (SSD) and Windows C: drive, and don't know which I'm booting from. I can't use Disk Manager (or EaseUS Todo) to wipe / reformat the HDD, because it has a boot partition, and neither
    software will let me.

I don't care what letter drive the SSD is, as long as I can boot from it, and use the HDD however I want, but I can't get there. What do I do now? This can't be a very hard problem to solve, but I am very eager to hear suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks

--Dan

organDan, May 18, 2019
  4. Problem while booting from new SSD in Lenovo laptop.

SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, May 18, 2019
Thema:

Problem while booting from new SSD in Lenovo laptop.

1. Problem while booting from new SSD in Lenovo laptop. - Similar Threads - Problem while booting

2. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD boot problem: Hi! I bought SSD and i wanted to install win 10 for this. But when i installed the first part in setup my pc restarting but my SSD cant boot. My ssd settings: gpt and bios on UEFI only mod. And the UEFI doesnt see my SSD either. But if i chose Legacy and UEFI option just my...
  3. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD boot problem: Hi! I bought SSD and i wanted to install win 10 for this. But when i installed the first part in setup my pc restarting but my SSD cant boot. My ssd settings: gpt and bios on UEFI only mod. And the UEFI doesnt see my SSD either. But if i chose Legacy and UEFI option just my...
  4. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. SSD Boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Boot problem: Hi, I'm having an issue with my SSD. In my computer I have a Samsung Evo 860 with windows 10 installed on it and a HDD just for backup with no OS installed. I bought a new SSD same model than mine and wanted to install windows 10 on it. So I just disconnected the SATA cable...
  6. Booting problems on SSD

Booting problems on SSD: Hi everyone! I have been using my PC with an SSD as my primary drive for about half a year now. I used a cloning software to clone my old HDD onto the SSD, and it worked perfectly, until now. Today my pc bluescreened while playing Overwatch, don't know if thats relevant and...
  7. New SSD is not an option to boot from

New SSD is not an option to boot from: I have a MSI B450 Gaming pro wifi max which has 2 M.2 slots on the board. I started by installing one in M2_1 and that booted fine had it for about a month. I then wanted to change things up (long story) so I bought another SSD exactly the same. The new SSD was placed in M2_2...
  8. SSD booting problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD booting problem: I recently purchased an SSD drive Lexar 480GB and installed Win10 on it. I had 3 other hard drives but when I installed Windows on the SSD, I had all 3 hard drives disconnected to ensure the whole installation is all on the SSD. After the installation, I confirmed the SSD...
  9. Adding SSD As New Boot/Primary Drive While HDD Is Used For Storage In Laptop.

Adding SSD As New Boot/Primary Drive While HDD Is Used For Storage In Laptop.: How do I make an SSD NVMePCIe M.2 as your new boot drive while not getting rid of my HDD. I want to use my HDD for storage but do not want to format it or anything I want to keep it in my laptop and just have the important stuff like windows windows 10, steam, and a few other...
  10. Help with booting windows from new SSD

Help with booting windows from new SSD: Dear all, I recently bought a new SSD with the intention to run Windows and other programs from it, because my old HDD became terribly slow. Setting it up turned out to be a little more difficult than expected. There's a lot of information on this topic available but I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lenovo l340 migrate to ssd