Windows 10: Problem while decryption of Files

Discus and support Problem while decryption of Files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there, I decrypted a few of the folders and files while in my last windows. But a few weeks earlier I reinstalled my Windows and now when I tried... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AhadBajwa, Jul 21, 2018.

1. AhadBajwa Win User

Problem while decryption of Files

Hi there,

I decrypted a few of the folders and files while in my last windows. But a few weeks earlier I reinstalled my Windows and now when I tried to decrypt my files I was unable to access them. Some error 80070771 keeps on prompting. Can anyone help me out so I may able to regain the access to my files.

:)

AhadBajwa, Jul 21, 2018

2. How to Decrypt *.cerber3 files?

AFAIK it's still not possible to decrypt your files for free...

In addition to what has been mentioned in the prior posts, you might want to read this:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/cerber-ransomware-switches-to-cerber3-extension-for-encrypted-files/

And I strongly suggest to read/do:

Jsssssssss, Jul 21, 2018
  3. How to Decrypt *.cerber3 files?

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber Ransomware will be renamed with 10 random characters plus the
    .cerber (i.e. 2C1OlcaXdF.cerber, Ku7dYlcvkj.cerber) or .cerber2 extension (see

here
    ) appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html.

The newest variant of Cerber Ransomware will have a .cerber3 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, # HELP DECRYPT #.html, and # HELP DECRYPT
    #.url.

Trend Micro released a
    Ransomware File Decryptor
    for victims of earlier Cerber infections but it has limitations...must be used on the infected machine, may take several hours to complete decryption, some files may be only partially decrypted.
    However, victims of Cerber Ransomware have reported the decryption tool does not work on cerber3 encrypted files.

In cases where a decryption tool does not work and you do not plan on paying the ransom, the only other alternative is to
    backup/save your data as is and wait for a possible breakthrough...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a potential solution so save the encrypted data
    and wait until that time. Imaging the drive backs up everything related to the infection including encrypted files, ransom notes and registry entries containing possible information which may be needed if a solution is ever discovered.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

quietman7 - MVP, Jul 21, 2018
  4. ErvSch Win User

Cannot decrypt folder but files and sub-folders contained do decrypt

Hi Paola,

Thank you for your interest in this problem.

• Which encryption software did you use to encrypt the files?

All of the encryption done was using EFS in Windows 10 Pro.
    • How did you encrypt the files?

The files were encrypted by selecting a folder in File Explorer then right clicking to choose Properties, pressing the Advanced button to the Advanced Attributes screen then checking the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data." Then pressing “OK”
      back to Properties, “OK” again to the Confirm Attribute Changes, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files," and OK once more. The encryption then proceeds and all subfolders and files are encrypted. The files were then decrypted by much
      the same process but rather unselecting the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box. This decrypted all the contained files, but the folder and all subfolders remained encrypted. After this the contained files could not again be encrypted by encrypting the
      folder because the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box for the folder was already checked.
    • How are you able to verify that the files inside the encrypted folders were already decrypted?

By selecting a file and again choosing Properties / Advanced to observe whether the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data" was or was not checked.

ErvSch, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem while decryption of Files - Similar Threads - Problem while decryption

2. Decrypting file is impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypting file is impossible: I have a couple of files that are encrypted by doing right click -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Encrypt contents to secure data. But I can't decrypt them anymore. Everytime I diable that checkbox and apply my changes I get this:When going into "Details" next to the checkbox...
  3. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  4. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  5. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File Encryption and Decryption Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Encryption and Decryption Problem: So recently, i faced issues with my windows laptop, i decided to do a complete backup of all my files and then reset the laptop. My laptop had encrypted most of the files which i only realised after having reset everything. Now, i cant grant ownershipt of the files nor modify...
  7. Problem decrypting files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem decrypting files: I have encrypted a folder containing many subfolders and files. Then I had to remove and reinstall windows on my device for some reason. Now I can't have access to the previously encrypted folders. Even though I am logged in to windows using the same Microsoft account and...
  8. Decryption problem

Decryption problem: Hi I encrypted some files on my computer, then the computer permanently broke down...luckily I had the encrypted files backed up on a external hard drive. After purchasing a new computer I've tried to decrypt the files on the external hard drive but with no luck. Any...
  9. Decrypt .Nusar files ?

Decrypt .Nusar files ?: Hello, I have got infected by Nusar virus, and all my files are crypted now, I removed the virus by Kaspersky, but I couldn't decrypt the files, please help me ! 136298
  10. Cannot decrypt files

Cannot decrypt files: I had encrypted some pictures on windows 8 pro and then transferred it to hard disk without decrypting them. Now problem is that I have updated to windows 10 pro and I can no longer decrypt the images. It says access denied. What do I do now and how can i get back my...