Windows 10: Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS

Discus and support Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am looking for some assistance with the partitioned Windows 10 hard drive on a friends laptop. Unfortunately, she was tricked into letting a scammer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Telcomspec, May 17, 2020.

1. Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS

I am looking for some assistance with the partitioned Windows 10 hard drive on a friends laptop. Unfortunately, she was tricked into letting a scammer complete a remote connection to her laptop to remove "malware and viruses" from her laptop. I realize this is an ongoing story, but they succeeded in causing major problems with her laptop. She was told she would have to pay $300 to make the repairs and when she refused, she was left with a laptop that had the password changed and she could no longer log into it. She then contacted HP technical support and paid for a service agreement in order to get assistance with problem.

HP tech support tried to reboot the laptop with a flash drive that had a bootable Windows 10 media installed. Unfortunately, after several hours online they were not able to get the Windows 10 reinstall or repair. The laptop would reboot from the flash drive and go through the entire install process, but when it got to the HP logo, it would go back to the install menu.

I decided to take look at the DISKPART and found something I thought was a bit strange:

Volume 0 is the Recovery Partition and the status reads healthy,Volume 1 is the System partition C: and it reads healthy, Volume 3 is the Removeable USB and it reads healthy also. What I found to be strange was the Volume 2 Partition. I don't understand why this partition is formated in FAT32 or why it would be hidden. Is this something that would stop Windows 10 from being reinstalled from a boot flash drive. Any assistance that anyone could provide would be helpful. Thank you

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------------- ---- ------------- ----- ------------- ---------- ----------- ------------

Volume 0 Recovery NTFS Partition 529 MB Healthy

Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 930 GB Healthy

Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy Hidden

Volume 3 D ESD-USB FAT32 Removable 29 GB Healthy

:)

Telcomspec, May 17, 2020
  2. AddSub Win User

what is the difference in fat32 and NTFS HDD formating???

No, FAT32 partitions are limited to about 8 terabytes.

Built-in Windows XP tool will let you format FAT32 but only @ 32GB or less. Another Microsoft tactic to force people to use NTFS. Much like Vista and Directx 10. With third-party tools you can go above 32GB easily.

AddSub, May 17, 2020
  3. kenkickr Win User
    FAT32 formatting

If you can plug the drive into a XP system you can partition and format to FAT32 through Drive Configuration. Heres the steps

1. Click Start and go to your control panel

2. Go into Administrative Tools and then open up Computer Management

3. Now click on Disk Management that is located under Storage.

On the right you should see your drive that you want to format to FAT32. Just right click the drive, select format, and switch partition to Fat32. You may need to delete the volume if it will not let you change to Fat32 and then repartition. I have used this many times.

kenkickr, May 17, 2020
  4. AddSub Win User

Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS

what is the difference in fat32 and NTFS HDD formating???

Pretty accurate listing Silverel.

I personally prefer FAT32. It IS faster than NTFS (there is a small but benchmarkable difference) and also it is much easier to recover from disastrous OS-induced and/or hardware disk crashes simply due to availability of more robust tools and the evident FAT32 approachability.

NTFS's alternate data streams (ADS) is something I find distasteful and an obvious security risk. In fact, if file system security matters to you, or data security in general, you might want to skip Windows operating systems completely and go straight into Unix territory. Seriously, when someone implies NTFS over any other file system (usually FAT32) on the basis of data security I can’t help but laugh.

Primary issue with FAT32 is the file size limit. So if you work with large video files and such I recommend an NTFS partition. (As a supplement of course.)

AddSub, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS

1. Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS - Similar Threads - Problem partition has

2. Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10: Windows Feature Updates have been failing to complete on my Dell Inspiron laptop for almost two years. I get notifications to update and restart every day and I want to solve this problem. I was told by Windows support that a clean install of Windows was required, using a USB...
  3. I accidentally format the EFI partition and change it to NTFS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I accidentally format the EFI partition and change it to NTFS: So, as you can see I accidentally format the EFI partition and now my laptop Asus-X441UV is "OS-less". Thankfully I still can access the data via boot menu Linux Mint haven't download for Windows one. What should I do? Thanks and sorry for my carelessness...
  4. Windows wants a partition formatted as NTFS

Windows wants a partition formatted as NTFS: I currently only have a MAC so after building my new computer I made a USB to install Windows 10 Home. Everything was going fine until I received an error which brought me back to the start. Once I got back to the page where you select where to install windows, 3 partitions...
  5. USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32: Hello everyone I have been having this issue for about a day now, I'am trying to format my Kingston Traveler USB drive to NTFS, but in a few seconds windows will report that (Windows was unable to complete the formatting) What is this issue? Why can't I reformat it to NTFS?...
  6. Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?

Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?: Sirs, I have an old pc and Bios ( non UEFI) . i formatted NTFS the 8GB usb flash drive, then found the Recovery drive creator by opening Control Panel (Windows key + X) Open Recovery Click Create Recovery drive , flash usb drive inserted , box labeled "Back up...
  7. Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS: Question is a flash drive formatted in FAT32 upward compatible to Windows 10 NTFS. If not what are the symptoms of incompatibility.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compatibility-fat32-to-ntfs/bbb8d2e0-5c09-4397-b909-ad8611da7ac0
  8. NTFS or FAT32

NTFS or FAT32: Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to delete it and download the October Update to use as a copy. I used Rufus but since the update has 5gb+ of files, and Rufus...
  9. change FAT32 USB to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    change FAT32 USB to NTFS: I purchased a 16 GB USB drive to use as ReadyBoost. In reading I discovered that NTFS is best because you can use more of the space and that you can convert FAT32 to NFTS. I had already devoted the drive to ReadyBoost before I tried this so maybe that is my problem....
  10. Windows 10 System Partition Requirement UEFI - NTFS or FAT32

Windows 10 System Partition Requirement UEFI - NTFS or FAT32: I was reading about Bitlocker and noticed this: Because pre-startup authentication and system integrity verification must take place on a partition other than the encrypted operating system drive, BitLocker requires that your computer has at least two partitions:...