Windows 10: Problem with Advanced Power Settings

Discus and support Problem with Advanced Power Settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought a used computer, updated to Windows 10. It runs great for what i use it for, but i noticed the CPU was running hot. Core #0 runs at 99c at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015.

1. MikeJ Win User

Problem with Advanced Power Settings

I bought a used computer, updated to Windows 10. It runs great for what i use it for, but i noticed the CPU was running hot. Core #0 runs at 99c at full load such as watching a movie. I did my own research and decided to change the processor power management . So I go into my Power Plan Settings. I run the High Performance, so i click on Change plan settings. On the Edit Plan Settings page i click on Change advanced power settings. IT WILL NOT OPEN ! Right click, left click, double click, it does nothing. It is not grayed out. I tried to research it more but really haven't found any info except their may be a power scheme overriding windows. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015

2. Power Options: Edit Plan Settings & Advanced Settings - Restore Power Plan Defaults Not Working

I am having the same issue, did anyone figure it out?

KellyMcGee, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Power Options: Edit Plan Settings & Advanced Settings - Restore Power Plan Defaults Not Working

I have a similar issue. Both my default Power Plans have gone missing on my SP3. I have been told the powercfg command line feature has had the /restoredefaultschemes removed.

Running SFC /Scannow does not fix the issue.

I am concerned that the only fix is to do a Refresh however, I do not want to have to re-download and install GB's of Apps because the Powerplan function is broken. surely their must be a way to re-add the Powerplan config files.

PorscheLuvr, Nov 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 7, 2015
  5. MikeJ Win User
    Thank you for the welcome, and your suggestion. I tried both options. When i clicked to open the shortcut, nothing happened . Have another suggestion? *Smile

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, you might consider resetting Windows 10 since it's a used PC. This way you can start fresh.

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Nov 7, 2015
  7. MikeJ Win User
    I did a reset yesterday, but i did choose to Keep my files. Will it be better to remove everything? I only have a few pictures on here. I also tried to restore Windows 7 (original build) but could not find the previous build.

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  8. MikeJ Win User

I forgot to mention that i bought the computer from a PC Store and it had a fresh install of Windows 10

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Specs listed here is for a Laptop, is this the one in question ? Can you then list the one you are having issues with, specs.

jds63, Nov 7, 2015
  10. MikeJ Win User
    yes the specs are for my laptop.

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Nov 7, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Nov 7, 2015
  13. MikeJ Win User

was just curious to see what processor temp was running so i downloaded CPUID HWMonitor last week. I couldn't believe the temp was that high. Core#0 reaches 100c max. I'm not sure if the monitor will read any higher or not. Core#1 has maxed at 86c. It will stay at that reading wit Core#0 around 97c to 99c while watching movies on netflix. The idle temp is 49c to 52c for both cores. I have had this laptop for several months and it never cut off or gave me a problem. the fan does run faster when temp is up, and slows down when temp drops. I figured the heat sink may need new compound, but i'm not willing to break the laptop down to look yet . Core#0 seems to run 10-15c higher than Core#1

MikeJ, Nov 7, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    If i am correct Core #0 is CPU Package temp which would be main concern one then Core# 1.So Core # 1 maxing at 86c close i believe then to max temp allowed. Watching a movie should not stress it like playing a graphic intense game or software.
    Seems again warm at idle 49c-52c. Normal for fan to run this way, at least we know it is running.

Keep Laptop on top of something when using, material which is not good, more better on hard surface like a desk or table.
    Maybe since used inside has dirt and dust buildup if not something else is causing this to happen. How long have you had this used laptop ?

jds63, Nov 7, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    Older model Laptop back from 2009, all system driver updates are not listed on HP site it says windows 10 has them

jds63, Nov 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Problem with Advanced Power Settings - Similar Threads - Problem Advanced Power

2. Advanced Power Plan setting not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced Power Plan setting not working: Hi,Since my last Windows 11 update to version 22H2, my PC does NOT automatically go to sleep. It sleep on if I use the CTRL + F1 keys of my keyboard.When I try to use the Advanced Power Plan Setting to High Performane, the Apply Button does not highlight and my Power Setting...
  3. Advanced Power Plan setting not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced Power Plan setting not working: Hi,Since my last Windows 11 update to version 22H2, my PC does NOT automatically go to sleep. It sleep on if I use the CTRL + F1 keys of my keyboard.When I try to use the Advanced Power Plan Setting to High Performane, the Apply Button does not highlight and my Power Setting...
  4. Multimedia Settings is not listed in advanced power options

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multimedia Settings is not listed in advanced power options: [ATTACH] Windows won't turn my display off or go to sleep anymore (since 2 weeks or so). I did not change anything and I don't know since when my advanced power option settings don't have the Multimedia stuff anymore... I tried to get them back by doing this...
  5. Advanced power settings help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advanced power settings help: Hello a few months ago i downlaoded AVG battery saver lnto my laptop and i deleted it awhile sgo snd now its still being used on my laptop even though the app isnt on my laptop. everytime i turn my laptop on the battery lowers and i looked on my advanced power settings and...
  6. Why no USB Settings in Advanced Power Settings?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why no USB Settings in Advanced Power Settings?: My wife's Dell computer has a lot more options in the Advance Power settings. Including "USB Settings". Why would my HP Envy 32 not have those options? I have USB devices plugged in. Like my mouse, a hard drive, an m-disc drive....
  7. Missing most settings in the "Advanced power options"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing most settings in the "Advanced power options": I have a new dell vostro 7500 with win 10 2004. When I got to advanced power options under any of the power plans, I don't see many of the options I normally see. here is all i see https://ibb.co/kxgZLrT I tried the instructions on the following page, but my regedit does...
  8. advanced power settings

advanced power settings: Hi all, Its very frustrating that I am not getting all the options in x1 yoga 3rd gen computer. i have tried powercfg -attributes 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a -attrib_hide for showing the wireless option but no luck ! tried...
  9. No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings: I have an ASUS Zenbook, Windows 10 Home 64bit. I wanted to adjust the USB settings, specifically to have the USB shutoff while in sleep mode. I believe the USB is still being powered as my battery drains when I have a mouse plugged in, even it is off. Originally my problem...
  10. Can not change Advanced Power Settings

Can not change Advanced Power Settings: I have switch to the high performance power plan but I want to change a few of the advanced power settings but when I click on it nothing happens no menu, nothing!...