Windows 10: Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive?

Discus and support Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I occasionally take backups to a portable external USB drive. This is a non-too-swift drive so I set the "Better performance" for the drive. Following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pokeefe0001, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive?

I occasionally take backups to a portable external USB drive. This is a non-too-swift drive so I set the "Better performance" for the drive. Following completion of a backup the "Safely remove" process would often fail saying the drive was still in use. This condition would last anywhere from a few minutes up to several hours (at which point I would reboot). Process Explorer showed that files used by the backup were no longer allocated, but Windows still had some.

Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive? [​IMG]

A search of the web indicated that this was related to write buffering, and sure enough, when I changed to the "Quick removal" profile, the problem went away. In other words, the "Safely remove" function would work fine when it was no longer needed.

I doubt I will notice any performance hit if I don't use write buffering, but I find this a little frustrating. Is this a bug, or is there something I'm supposed to do (other than use the "Safely remove" function) to get this to work?

The drive is an old Western Digital My Passport . Widows is using a generic driver for it and says the driver is up to date. There is also a "WD SES Device" (2 of them, actually, since I also have a permanently attached WD USB drive).The associated driver is dated 2015 and Windows says it's up to date. WD says Windows automatically installs the appropriate drives for WD newer than 2011 so I suspect thisd is not a driver problem.

I'm running Win 10 2004.

:)

pokeefe0001, Sep 30, 2020

2. Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive?

I occasionally take backups to a portable external USB drive. This is a non-too-swift drive so I set the "Better performance" for the drive. Following completion of a backup the "Safely remove" process would often fail saying the drive was still in use. This condition would last anywhere from a few minutes up to several hours (at which point I would reboot). Process Explorer showed that files used by the backup were no longer allocated, but Windows still had some.

Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive? [​IMG]

A search of the web indicated that this was related to write buffering, and sure enough, when I changed to the "Quick removal" profile, the problem went away. In other words, the "Safely remove" function would work fine when it was no longer needed.

I doubt I will notice any performance hit if I don't use write buffering, but I find this a little frustrating. Is this a bug, or is there something I'm supposed to do (other than use the "Safely remove" function) to get this to work?

The drive is an old Western Digital My Passport . Widows is using a generic driver for it and says the driver is up to date. There is also a "WD SES Device" (2 of them, actually, since I also have a permanently attached WD USB drive).The associated driver is dated 2015 and Windows says it's up to date. WD says Windows automatically installs the appropriate drives for WD newer than 2011 so I suspect thisd is not a driver problem.

I'm running Win 10 2004.

pokeefe0001, Sep 30, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive?

Thank you very much for your reply.

Examples include
    Everything (by void tools)
    Task manager running

I find USB Safely Remove very useful (not free) - and so do a couple of others I suggested it to recently.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive? - Similar Threads - Problem Better performance

2. MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance": I've recently got an MSI laptop GF63 Thin 11UC, and found out that for some reason the CPU speed is faster when on the "Better performance" option than on "best performance". Does anyone know why this is/how to change it?...
  3. MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance": I've recently got an MSI laptop GF63 Thin 11UC, and found out that for some reason the CPU speed is faster when on the "Better performance" option than on "best performance". Does anyone know why this is/how to change it?...
  4. MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem with USB Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with USB Drives: I was running Dell's OS Recovery Tool to create a bootable USB on a ENUODA USB 3.0 64GB drive. An error appeared that was something to do with creating a ZIP file. I didn't record the exact details and was preparing to redo the process. However, I noticed that the USB drive...
  6. Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with "Better performance" profile for USB drive?: I occasionally take backups to a portable external USB drive. This is a non-too-swift drive so I set the "Better performance" for the drive. Following completion of a backup the "Safely remove" process would often fail saying the drive was still in use. This condition would...
  7. USB 3.0 flash drive performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB 3.0 flash drive performance: What is a good USB 3.0 flash driver performance (read/write speed)? I just picked up a pack of 5 USB 3.0 Kexin (no-name) flash drives, and I'm very unhappy with them. They seem extremely slow, not much, if any, better that a USB 2.0 drive. At less than $5 a piece, the price...
  8. Better Computer Performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Better Computer Performance: I'm running Windows 10 pro and would really (really) appreciate some tips on increasing system performance. I'm a neophyte when it comes to finer aspects of tuning a system. Thanks! Mike...
  9. How to change USB option back to Better Performance PC Wide

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change USB option back to Better Performance PC Wide: After updating my Windows 10 my USB Tether speeds have HEAVILY degraded. My speeds were fine before this update and speeds are fine on an older laptop, drivers are all updated, etc etc. Turns out this update changed the USB options from Better Performance to Quick Removal and...
  10. Better Performance & No Blue Screens

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Better Performance & No Blue Screens: After recovering from multiple blue screens I made a decision to use only Microsoft software - Mail, Edge, Defender. So far so good. Not one new blue screen. Could my MS only decision really be helping or is it just in my head? 102131