Windows 10: Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...

Discus and support Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I found that I could not complete an installation of new software after Windows 10 version 1809, I spent several hours trying to find solutions to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BoydCarter, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...

When I found that I could not complete an installation of new software after Windows 10 version 1809, I spent several hours trying to find solutions to this problem. ​

The recurring theme that kept popping up was "Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182." I tried many proposed solutions but nothing worked.​

I finally searched on "What is bits service" and found a simple solution that solved my problem. The solution was found here. https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/background-intelligent-transfer-service-will-not-start/ (give credit where credit is due) and I quote from that page:​

"If BITS can’t be started for some reason, first make sure it is enabled in the Services control panel applet. Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and click on Services.

Make sure that Background Intelligent Transfer Service is set to Automatic or Manual as the startup type.

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is... [​IMG]

If it’s not set to Manual or Automatic, then double-click on it and change the startup type to either one of these. If the service is configured correctly, but BITS will still not startup properly, check to make sure none of the dependent services are disabled."

I double-clicked to edit the line, set it to Automatic, then manually started it. I installed my new software and am writing this solution for the benefit of others who may have this problem.

I just went back to it and found that it had stopped again, so right before I shut down my computer, I am going to set it to automatic and hope that it stays that way.

Hope this helps

:)

BoydCarter, Mar 22, 2019
  2. thegrey Win User

Problem with BITS service - Lockscreen

It begins with my Lockscreen not changing pictures when Spotlight is selected,. It works in preview, and Windows+L, but not when the system is shut down and restarted. I ran the background troubleshooter and received a message, "Problem with the BITS service.
    The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182." The listings under that search do not relate, they all concern windows update. I have run sfc /scannow. All is well.

thegrey, Mar 22, 2019
  3. Pait Win User
    Gaming Lag and Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)

The "troubleshooting steps" that you have linked to does not address my concern.

My problem is that the BIT-service can
    start at any moment and directly impact performance while I am engaged in
    performance-sensitive usage.

I understand that I can manually disable this service every time I reboot my computer, but I believe my Operating System should
    work for me and not vice-versa.

Here are the types of solutions I am looking for:

• Automatically suspend the BIT-service when Game Mode is activated.
    • Allow BIT-service to have a network usage limit (like 50 Kbps)
    • Allow BIT-service to be scheduled (between 2am - 8am)
    • Disable BIT-service unless the user has requested a Windows Update

Is there a "set it and forget it" solution to preventing the BIT-service from affecting my performance that will persist through reboots?

4. Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...

Windows Update fails. BITS service will not start.

Hi Johnps,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are unable to start BITS service. The issue could be if you are not logged in as an Administrator or you don't have the admin permission.

If your computer is connected to any domain network then I would suggest you to
    repost your query on

TechNet Forum: Windows 10 IT Pro

If it is not connected to any domain network then you may try the steps provided and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if you are able to access Windows Update services and also make sure that the following services are started. If it is not started follow the below mentioned steps:

a. Press Windows key + R, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in start run box and press
    Enter.

b. Locate Windows Update service.

c. Right click on the Windows Update service and select
    Properties.

d. In Start-up type, select Enable.

e. Click Start under Service status.

f. Click OK.

g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service.

If these steps do not help to resolve the issue, then you may proceed with the step mentioned below and check.

Method 2

Step by step instructions to get the issue fixed.

a) Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).

b) On the open Command Prompt window copy and paste
    the commands (all at once)

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

c) Wait for the process to complete.

d) Close the Command Prompt.

Now, try to install Windows Updates again and check if it helps.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...

1. Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is... - Similar Threads - Problem BITS service

2. A BIT of a problem my bits service is malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A BIT of a problem my bits service is malfunctioning: i will guve info if someone replies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-bit-of-a-problem-my-bits-service-is/21248491-61b6-429c-a406-1862210590bb
  3. Problem with BITS service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with BITS service: I took a screen shot on my phone of the error after running diagnostics but do not know how to transfer on to my pc. So this is exactly what is displayed. Service Status Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started....
  4. Problem with BITS service

Problem with BITS service: I took a screen shot on my phone of the error after running diagnostics but do not know how to transfer on to my pc. So this is exactly what is displayed. Service Status Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started....
  5. BITS Service not Starting.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    BITS Service not Starting.: I've had this problem for a few months now and anything I saw online didn't work. I needed to download something off the Microsoft Store and I got an error code 0x800700B7 that led back to the BITS Service. I looked at services.msc and saw that the BITS Service wasn't...
  6. BITS Service not Starting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BITS Service not Starting.: I've had this problem for a few months now and anything I saw online didn't work. I needed to download something off the Microsoft Store and I got an error code 0x800700B7 that led back to the BITS Service. I looked at services.msc and saw that the BITS Service wasn't...
  7. BITS Service not Starting.

8. Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...: I have a laptop with current version of Windows 10 1903. Things keep freezing or just stopping. When I run the update troubleshooter, it finds nothing. When I run the windows apps troubleshooter I get this message: Problem with BITS service : The requested service has...
  9. BITS service hase already been started

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BITS service hase already been started: I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Pro S 64 bit and switched to Windows 10 Pro. I then tried windows watered but I had the error "BITS service hase already been started". I took my laptop to service and I installed Windows 10 Pro S again. After I took my laptop from service...
  10. Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is...: I have reinstalled windows 10. I have tried everything and I cant get rid of this error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/problem-with-bits-service-the-requested-service/c08ec66b-9058-484f-9dcf-da078e9584a2

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

2. problem with bits service : the requested service has already been started. more help is available by typing net helpmsg 2182

3. problem with BITS service

4. problem with bits service : the requested service has already been started,
  5. problem with bits service already started,
  6. problem with bits service : the requested service has already been started.,
  7. Error Message : Problem with BITSservice : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2128.,
  8. net helpmsg 2182 windows 10 bits repair,
  9. service status Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. ,
  10. problem with bits service the requested service has been started,
  11. net helpmsg 2182 windows update,
  12. i have to disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service every day,
  13. problem with bits service windows 10,
  14. service statusproblem with bits service : the requested service has already been started. more help is available by typing net helpmsg 2182