Windows 10: Problem with deleting directories from the c dive.

Discus and support Problem with deleting directories from the c dive. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have about 500 empty directories on my c: drive with names like the ones pasted below. I believe a failed Quicken install left them there. Anyway,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TexasJohn, Jan 4, 2016.

1. TexasJohn Win User

Problem with deleting directories from the c dive.

I have about 500 empty directories on my c: drive with names like the ones pasted below. I believe a failed Quicken install left them there. Anyway, normally this would be no big deal, but in this case, they are all at the root level and it makes my "real" directories hard to find. I've tired several things to get rid of them. Here's an example of one of my attempts from an Administrators command shell:

dir *.tmp
    . . .
    09/11/2015 04:51 PM <DIR> QuiFAC7.tmp
    09/11/2015 04:51 PM <DIR> QuiFAC8.tmp
    09/11/2015 04:51 PM <DIR> QuiFAD9.tmp
    0 File(s) 0 bytes
    501 Dir(s) 1,337,724,145,664 bytes free

C:\>rmdir quifad9.tmp
    Access is denied.

C:\>takeown /f quifad9.tmp /a

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\quifad9.tmp" now owned by the administrators group.

C:\>rmdir quifad9.tmp
    Access is denied.

I've tried it with PowerShell and with the "hidden" Administrator id, no luck. I also tried to change the security setting for the c: drive itself, also with no luck. Do any of you have a PowerShell script or something similar which will remove these annoying empty directories?

John

:)

TexasJohn, Jan 4, 2016

2. Cannot delete application shortcut from desktop

You can try to navigate to your C:\Users\Public\Desktop or C:\Users\Default\Desktop directory and see if it is there. If so, try and delete it from that directory. Please let me know if that helps.

digitaltorres, Jan 4, 2016
  3. Deleting C:|msi*.tmp empty folders

Thanks.

But I did not say the empty directories were malware. I said that the program that Microsoft posted on one of its responses was labeled malware by its own operating system, Windows 10. Win-10 told me that the Microsoft program was not safe because it's certificate
    was not valid - it advised me not to run it.

I am fine with deleting the empty directories ---- they cannot be really important since they have zero bytes.

I also tried to use Disk Cleanup but it did not do anything - I suppose this is (as you say) because these are empty directories, not files. And deleting them would not free much disk space. However, having 104 extra empty directories in C:\ is unsightly.

Again - the problem is that Windows will not allow the empty directories {C:\msi*.tmp] to be deleted even with administrator privileges. And it will not allow me to take ownership and delete them either.

Incidentally, all of these files are from 2013. It appears that I was able to delete the more recent directories.

John_R_Bennett, Jan 4, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi TexasJohn and welcome to Tenforums.

Perhaps you can try booting to this custom Win10PE disk one of our members has prepared.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

You can try deleting the directories that way.

simrick, Jan 4, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    The trick is to delete them without Windows running. Thus if you have Windows installation media, you can boot from that, select Repair, Troubleshooting, and navigate to a command prompt.

dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    The owner of an object doesn't necessarily have authority to do anything with it (except change authority). You have to both take ownership and grant authority - it was the second step you were missing.

As they are directories you should specify /r on takeown and /t on icacls to recurse through any contained files/directories also.
    Code: takeown /f quifad9.tmp /r icacls quifad9.tmp /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Problem with deleting directories from the c dive. :(F) /t[/quote]
    If they are locked though you'll need to delete them from outside windows (or at least when whatever is locking them isn't running) as mentioned in the posts above.

lx07, Jan 4, 2016
  7. TexasJohn Win User
    Thank you, the icacls command did the trick. All those directories have now been deleted.

TexasJohn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with deleting directories from the c dive. - Similar Threads - Problem deleting directories

2. Fixing and scanning Dive C

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fixing and scanning Dive C: Hey anyone got any solution.Everytime I boot up my device it says scanning and fixing Drive CI sort it out how to fix through a video,But want to know does this affect my laptop's performance?...
  3. Hard Dive problem i think

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hard Dive problem i think: My son used my computer and he downloaded something and deleted it but now my storage that was 953 866 MB is gone and i cant get it back so if anyone knows what to do i will be thank full. Is it a malware if so what should i do ?...
  4. C dive full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C dive full: My c drive says 57 GB of storage is taken up. I tried all sorts of solutions and ran cleanup multiple times. nothing is working. I have files left to delete. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-dive-full/d64f50ca-569e-4abd-baf3-ca2aa1d35f95
  5. Problem With Delete a Directory

Problem With Delete a Directory: Hi There, Some Minutes Ago I tried To Delete a Directory By Pressing Del Delete Button on keyboard But Unfortunately I gave an error from windows. I Inserted that below. Please Guide Me. [ATTACH]...
  6. C dive fulling up automatically

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    C dive fulling up automatically: My C dive fulling up automatically Starts suddenly to full up and windows activating message disappear and nothing working to stop this thing. I've tried every thing. so please help!...
  7. c dive consuming more space

c dive consuming more space: why my c drive is taking more space than the files it contains?in c drive properties it was showing that used space was 48.2gb,i have cleared system restore point files also it freed about 10 gb but previously it was 58gb used space. can anyone help me with this?[ATTACH]...
  8. Deleting Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting Directory: I am logged in as an Administrator and I cannot delete a directory- I don't have permission. I checked in to properties and it says Administrators have Full Access. It also shows Trusted Installers have Full access - who is that???? How do I uninstall a directory ? Thanks...
  9. M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems: OK- cloned my Samsung ssd850 contents to my new m.2 Samsung 970. Bios will not recognize the m.2 with the ssd850 installed. Either work by themselves fine. Motherboard is Asus Gaming Aura Pro 970. My question is how can I get my Bios to recognize both and set boot order?...
  10. Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory: Hi In Windows 10, how do I delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory? Thanks Bye 22003