Windows 10: Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

Discus and support Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GeorgeSinkinson, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL window to the desktop. I could then rename the shortcut as well as change the icon.Now when I drag the padlock to the desktop, rather than a shortcut, I now get an actual file with a .url extension. Clicking on the icon does take me to the site, but I cannot modify the the icon.The properties window only shows 3 tabs: General, Security, and Details.The properties on a real shortcut has 4 tabs: General, Shortcut, Security, and Details.Renaming t

:)

GeorgeSinkinson, Jan 24, 2022

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 24, 2022
  3. keakar Win User
    ad blocker doesnt run for my website shortcuts

first off, im using IE11, yes I know boo hiss its the devil, its too unsafe, but anyway....

I have adblocker and I cant find any reports on this issue but if I open the browser with the browser link adblock runs and its protected, but lets say I have a desktop shortcut to go to my email or here, well when you use a desktop shortcut to the websites, the browser opens without adblock running. I confirmed this in task manager that it is indeed still off and not a running process. I also noted that adblock is not listed in the services list but im not sure if it should be or not.

so any help or advice on this would be great, I use desktop shortcuts for stuff and this means adblocker isn't running for nearly half of my online activities, maybe more. if it cant run anytime the browser is open then why have it, I see nothing in the way of settings or preferences options except a website block list or allow ads for this site.

keakar, Jan 24, 2022
  4. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jan 24, 2022
Thema:

Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

1. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers - Similar Threads - Problem Desktop shortcuts

2. Desktop Shortcut Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcut Problem: The following desktop shortcut used to work but now I am getting the following error ... THE DRIVE OR NETWORK CONNECTION THAT THE SHORTCUT 'TRILLION.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or the network resource is available, and then try...
  3. Desktop Shortcut Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Shortcut Problem: The following desktop shortcut used to work but now I am getting the following error ... THE DRIVE OR NETWORK CONNECTION THAT THE SHORTCUT 'TRILLION.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or the network resource is available, and then try...
  4. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers: Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL window to the desktop. I could then rename the shortcut as well as change the icon.Now when I drag the padlock to the...
  5. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers: Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL window to the desktop. I could then rename the shortcut as well as change the icon.Now when I drag the padlock to the...
  6. Problem with desktop icon shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with desktop icon shortcuts.: Hello, since a half year ago I have been experiencing a strange behavior with desktop shortcuts. It is not a big problem, because it does not interrupt me to use my computer as always, it is just a bit disturbing when I notice it and it makes me think that my storage is...
  7. Desktop Shortcuts Problems

Desktop Shortcuts Problems: I am having issues with the files and shortcuts that I store on my desktop. If I save a file on my desktop or try to create a folder, I will not see it on my desktop, but if I go to file explorer or restart, I can see the file then. I can also not refresh or delete or move...
  8. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...
  9. Quick acess Desktop shortcut problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick acess Desktop shortcut problem: So, I started to use Quick Acess and everything seemed ok. But the thing is that, the 'Desktop' shortcut isn't showing my own desktop. It's only showing my program/games icons. Can you guys help me? Right now, it looks like this: [img] But it should look like this: [img]...
  10. Start Maintenance From Desktop Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Maintenance From Desktop Shortcut?: Hello, As it is now, I have this desktop shortcut shown below. [img] . Which opens to the page seen below. However, I still need to click on "Start Maintenance". In order to activate Windows Maintenance. [img] I was wondering, if a shortcut can be created. Which will...