Windows 10: Problem with Disk Burn Utility

Discus and support Problem with Disk Burn Utility in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since upgrading to Windows 10, I have been unable to burn iso files to disk, sometimes I get an error message, saying this could be due to disk utility... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dorian mode, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Problem with Disk Burn Utility

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I have been unable to burn iso files to disk, sometimes I get an error message, saying this could be due to disk utility burn speed. Most of the time just a message, an error occurred.
    With this same computer, I never had a problem with Windows 8, I also have Linux Mint, dual-booted on this laptop, and it will burn images to disk.
    Is there some way to tweak the disk burn utility? Has anyone else experienced this?

:)

dorian mode, Jan 26, 2016

2. Delete free space from DVD

Hi,

By default, different disk burning utilities or applications would usually have an option to finalize a disk after burning data to it. This will essentially lock the disk from any future burn sessions and the computer will detect this automatically.
    Take note that different disk burning utilities or applications may have a different naming convention in finalizing a disk.

Also, you can check the post of SpiritX MS MVP on this
    link
    for reference. The post is mostly for Windows 7 but can be generally be used a reference for Windows 10.

Feel free to reach out to us for any further concerns.

Jordan Dom, Jan 26, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    windows 10 not recognizing my cd/dvd drive

Hi,

It might depend on what program you used to burn them...

In the XP point in history some burning programs used something like DLA to burn CD's... This requires a machine with a program capable of reading a DLA disk..

Roxio was one such program, I think Nero as well, and possibly CyberLink...

I don't remember the name of the utility at the moment unfortunately, but was a tool that burned a CD as if it were a hard disk...

slance310, Jan 26, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Problem with Disk Burn Utility

You will have a lot of people offering you their favourite iso image burning programs.
    It's up to you to chose which one suits you best.

I personally use Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

I use it since the early days of Win 7, and I have been using it to burn Win 10 iso to bootable DVDs.
    I chose it because of its simplicity. Practically ANYONE can use it without problem.

davidhk, Jan 26, 2016
  5. Thank you, That would have been my next question, if there was third party utilities available for windows. *Smile

dorian mode, Jan 26, 2016
  6. There are plenty available. BurnAware and CDBurnerXP are two that I have used personally. I prefer CDBurnerXP out of the two, but they are definitely not your only options.

DeaconFrost, Jan 26, 2016
  7. fireberd Win User
    fireberd, Jan 26, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

Whichever program you decide to use, see if settings can found for write or burn speed. If so, set it to 8x or 16x for readability by many older and recent cd and dvd players, boomboxes, car players, computer cd/dvd writers. It seems 8x and 16x burn better, more reliably, than faster write or burn speeds.

RolandJS, Jan 26, 2016
  9. fireberd Win User
    DVD burn speeds are limited by the burn speed capability of the DVD blank. If you have, for example, 8X blanks then that will be the maximum burn speed you can use.

fireberd, Jan 26, 2016
  10. RolandJS Win User
    You're correct; however, I've found DVD and CD blanks that often give a range of speeds possible, low to high, in those cases, I pick the slowest one listed.

RolandJS, Jan 26, 2016
  11. mike s Win User
    The useable DVD burn speeds are determined by the writing strategy used by the burner for the particular blank you are using. This usually based on a media capability table within the firmware of the drive, which then attempts to match the media identifier (MID) read from the blank itself, with the internal media table. If there is a match, then the drive's conception of what burn speeds are acceptable are then transmitted to Imgburn (or whatever you are using) and an appropriate menu of possible burn speed choices is displayed.

In some cases, a high quality drive may be capable (based upon in-house testing by the manufacturer) of burning reliably at a higher speed than the printed rating on the disk's package. This is reflected in what speed choices the drive communicates back to the burning software. Other drives (Benq, Plextor, Lite-On) can "learn" the characteristics of discs on the fly, and make more reliable speed choices based upon real-time feedback rather than predetermined tables alone. I regularly burn older high quality "8X" rated discs at 12X or faster if the drive feels it can reliably do so.

Media defects and quality issues aside, most failed burns are due to a burner-media mismatch. The drive is using the wrong writing strategy, or has **NO** strategy for that MID and is using a generic formula which may or may not work acceptably. If your software says that the "16X" discs can only be burned at 4X, this is a hallmark of that phenomenon.

In general, burning 1 or 2 speed increments lower than the labelled speed of the media can give useable results if faster burns fail. The key is to use software (such as mentioned in this thread) which gives you full control over what you are doing, and feedback on what happens.

mike s, Jan 26, 2016
  12. Thank you to everyone. After trying a different app, without success, I think my problem has more to do with my DVD's than the burn app. I think I will take the laptop in to the Geeks at Best Buy and see if they can determine which media I should be using.
    Edit: I tried both NCH-IMGBurn and ExpressBurn, Along with The Windows Disk Burner. None of these gave me an option to change the burning speed (unless I missed something) I could not see anything that indicated what the
    default burning speed was. The burn speed indicated on my blank DVD's is 16X. All three utilities give the same error message ie; the burn speed of the media is not supported by the burn speeds supported by the device.
    Regarding the following reply; Quote.

"In general, burning 1 or 2 speed increments lower than the labelled speed of the media can give useable results if faster burns fail. The key is to use software (such as mentioned in this thread) which gives you full control over what you are doing, and feedback on what happens."

Where do I find this software, that gives this control? The ones I tried don't appear to have that function.

Edit; I have just tried to download BurnAware. This utility appears to have the most tools, it looks promising however after installation, I cannot find it in my apps, to set as default, although it does appear in the start menu.
    Very puzzling.

dorian mode, Jan 27, 2016
  13. Problem with Disk Burn Utility

As an update to this thread, I want to add the following information.
    When I took my laptop into the Geek's at Best Buy, we found that using my DVD's resulted in failure, however using their in house DVD's resulted in success. Both DVD's were 16X burn speed. The only noticeable difference was my DVD's are
    DVD-R, theirs are DVD+R. A google search reveals the difference, which is a difference in the way the laser reads the disk, although the search results suggested it should make no difference, and other tech's I talked too, also said it should not make a difference in performance, it obviously does make a difference. Needless to say, I came home armed with a package of DVD+R.*Cool

dorian mode, Feb 9, 2016
  14. mike s Win User
    Thanks for the followup, and glad you got a combo that worked.
    Most probably the DVD-R discs were a poor match for your burner, or were of poor quality.

mike s, Feb 9, 2016
  15. Thank you for the input. The interesting thing about these DVD-R that I have been using is that they work fine to copy data such as photos or text documents. The only problem was burning ISO images, and only on this particular machine. I have used them successfully many times on my Windows 7 laptop, to burn ISO images to disk. They are memorex brand 16X.

dorian mode, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with Disk Burn Utility - Similar Threads - Problem Disk Burn

2. Disk utilization problem in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk utilization problem in Windows 11: This is a fresh install of Windows 11 Home 64-bit and I noticed after checking Task Manager throughout the day that my system has a minimum disk utilization of 14% even when I boot up. It goes above 14%. but never below. On Windows 10 if I wasn't running any apps hammering...
  3. Disk utilization problem in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk utilization problem in Windows 11: This is a fresh install of Windows 11 Home 64-bit and I noticed after checking Task Manager throughout the day that my system has a minimum disk utilization of 14% even when I boot up. It goes above 14%. but never below. On Windows 10 if I wasn't running any apps hammering...
  4. disk utility 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk utility 100%: No matter what, Disk drive hits 99%. Did fresh reinstall, no luck. Lags during games or sometimes doing nothing at all. Please help before I buy a new SSD for my HP Omen laptop....
  5. burn to disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    burn to disk: How do I burn data to a dvd without formatting the dvd. I am looking for how to override the apparent default and just burn the data to the dvd. Windows 10 tries to format the dvd and renders the disk unusable in the process. Please repair the burn to disk feature as this is...
  6. Burn to disk failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Burn to disk failed: I have Windows 10 Home 1903 and I have been using Burn to Disk to burn CDs and DVDs for about two years. Two weeks ago, the function failed. Now I'm told that the burn failed and the disk may be unusable. I have an installed burner and two USB burners. I'm getting the same...
  7. disk utility

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk utility: reinstalled windows 10 home and now optimize disk references solid state disks rather than hard drive disks and utility does not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-utility/6ab769c7-e5fe-4832-ad75-826f85e108e2"
  8. Burning to a disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Burning to a disk: Could someone recommend a simple programme to burn a file to a disk as finally given up trying to understand Win 10's instructions which are beyond useless. Tried next to download one which came with a free virus, now gone, so anything tried and trusted would now be most...
  9. Burn bootable disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Burn bootable disk: I have a .bin file, how do I make this file bootable? 87221
  10. Burning a bootable disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Burning a bootable disk: I am trying to burn a bootable disk from a Windows 7 ISO for my brother he had lost the original media OEM I gave him with the machine I upgraded the CPU and RAM SSD etc for him.. Now I have done this before using PowerISO and did that at a relatively slow rate because I...