Windows 10: problem with external drive

Discus and support problem with external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As a follow up on my current problem posted on the 12/10/20 on the Microsoft community , I tried too check whether internally my computer could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Einar Osei Sies, Oct 14, 2020.

1. problem with external drive

As a follow up on my current problem posted on the 12/10/20 on the Microsoft community , I tried too check whether internally my computer could detect the drive. But by running command prompt as an admin, and opening up File Explorer they don't detect the drive but the computer gives me a beeping sound that the drive has been connected. The confusing part is that in device manager under drives it identifies my Seagate external drive but not in file manager and command prompt.

To be detailed in command prompt I runned a disk check using the D: /r /f command but it will return a value that the volume cant be accessed and by running diskpart to list the disks connected to my computer most of the times it only lists the disk 0 but when it lists disk 1 I will try running the D:/r /f again it returns the same value that the volume cant be accessed.

But in File Explorer when I connect it and open it up it displays a ''Not Responding'' message on the title bar sometimes it disappears for a while and list the external with its identifiable letterD but with no info about the drive like the storage info and even right clicking on it does not give me additional options of the drive

Using some 3rd party softwares like Easeus Data Recovery Wizard and Find and Mount do not detect the drive.

In all these I can hear the drive run but i cant work with it. Please any info

:)

Einar Osei Sies, Oct 14, 2020

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 14, 2020
  4. problem with external drive

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

problem with external drive

1. problem with external drive - Similar Threads - problem external drive

2. External drive causing problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive causing problems: Im using windows 11, with an external harddrive, serato dj and a numark controller, i store all my music on the external drive, i use i tunes for librarys, the external harddrive keeps sycing or checking the library to back it up, which causes the serato programme to freeze...
  3. External drive causing problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive causing problems: Im using windows 11, with an external harddrive, serato dj and a numark controller, i store all my music on the external drive, i use i tunes for librarys, the external harddrive keeps sycing or checking the library to back it up, which causes the serato programme to freeze...
  4. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  5. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  6. Problem Ejecting External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem Ejecting External Drive: I've been using a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive via USB for quite a while. Recently when I go to eject the drive, I get the following pop up. Before I get scathed, I realize that I don't need to eject it via taskbar icon, but I've been doing it that way for quite a long time....
  7. Encrypt External Drive Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypt External Drive Problem: Recently I had to re-image my Windows 10. After the process, At first, I was unable to unlock my external drive which had been encrypted prior to my computer re-imaging. I was able to unlock it, but now I cannot view the files located on the external drive. Do I need to...
  8. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: My Lenovo laptop has Windows 10. I was using a Sony 1 TB external hard drive to store files. Couldn't transfer any more files after it was half full, showing error 0x8007045D. So I saved all my external hard disc files and formatted it. Maybe I made a mistake when I...
  9. External drive problem

External drive problem: Hi all, I did a clean install of Windows today. I downloaded all the files from the site directly to my external drive, all went well, install no probs but now all that shows on the ext drive are the Windows set up files and it says ESD-USB instead of FreeAgent. Firstly,...
  10. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I got an USB cable to hook up an internal hard drive to my laptop. It will not see the drive. I am trying to use it so I can retrieve the data and also use it to put my one drive stuff on it. What can I do to troubleshoot this problem? 85400