Windows 10: - Problem with file extension - .html

Discus and support - Problem with file extension - .html in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HELP *Sleepy I can´t seem to get any file with the .html exstension to open, I use Firefox and made sure in the file associations that it has this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mickeymontes, Mar 16, 2017.

1. - Problem with file extension - .html

HELP *Sleepy

I can´t seem to get any file with the .html exstension to open, I use Firefox and made sure in the file associations that it has this program as the default. BUT.. whenever I double click the files it gives me a message that there is no program associated with this file, I don't understand, plus, the right click menu does not show the open with option just open

:)

mickeymontes, Mar 16, 2017

2. Unable to open htm attachments in outlook emails

Hello Houston1,

Does it only happen with .htm extension files or also with the .html extension files?

Thanks

Sergio P ., Mar 16, 2017
  3. e.gray Win User
    Exporting Bookmarks from Edge to Chrome

A simple renaming of the file extension will do.... just change the extension from ".htm" to ".html"

e.gray, Mar 16, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

- Problem with file extension - .html

Hello mickeymontes, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You might see downloading and merging the .reg file for the listed .html item in the table of Option Two below may be able to help. It will restore the default associations and registry entries for .html files. Afterwards, you should be able to set Firefox as the default app.

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 16, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Try a test by taking the l off one of the files or a copy of one of the files. HTM and HTML are HyperTextMarkupLanguage and should open in any browser or editor. Try right-clicking one and choose Open With and Notepad.

Berton, Mar 16, 2017
  6. Thank you for your quick reply!

I had already downloaded and applied the .reg file but it still acts the same way. It does show firefox as the default, but on double click it keeps saying there is no program associated...

7. tried this and still nothing.. cannot choose open with notepad since the menu does not have the open with option, and this is only with this file extension all others (or at least the ones I use often, have it)

I did open the file by opening notepad first and this is what it shows:

[InternetShortcut]
    URL=https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-mx/niv/groups/11988353
    IDList=
    HotKey=0
    IconFile=C:\Users\Michael Montes\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bn0xbzuc.default\shortcutCache\doX8h9Gn4vixcT_Kfc+quA= =.ico
    IconIndex=0

8. Ztruker Win User

What do you see if you go at it the other way?
    Open File Explorer and navigate to a .html file. Right click and select Properties.
    On my PC I see this (Seamonkey is my browser):

- Problem with file extension - .html [​IMG]

You should see Firefox there.

Ztruker, Mar 17, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    That is not an .HTML file. That is an Internet Shortcut. The defaults for opening an Internet shortcut are set by choosing your default browser, not the file associations for .html or .htm.

This is an HTML file...
    Code: html Hello World! /html[/quote] ...or it will be if you copy it into Notepad then save it with a .html extension. What happens if you make that .html file and try to open it?

10. Ztruker Win User
    Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
    Click on Set your default programs.
    Scroll down and click on Firefox then click on Set this program as default.

That "should" fix the Open problem. Keyword being "should" of course *Smile

Ztruker, Mar 17, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Yes, @Bree was right. It is an internet shortcut, try to open Firefox then drag and drop the file into the browser.

topgundcp, Mar 17, 2017
  12. Ok, I had overlooked the following. This is hapening with shortcuts! not actual .html files. The problem then is, that any shortcuts I have saved to websites, are the ones that don't work... I am stumped

mickeymontes, Mar 17, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Mickey,

Just to make sure that we have the correct file type, could you post a screenshot showing the General tab in the properties page of one of these affected shortcuts like what Rich posted above?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums

Brink, Mar 17, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    It may help to know that I have saved the one you gave in post #5 to my desktop as an internet shortcut. It works for me, so the shortcut itself seems to be OK.

15. Ztruker Win User
    Have you tried the Set your default programs I suggested above?

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. - Problem with file extension - .html - Similar Threads - Problem file extension

2. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  3. How to change default app for HTML extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for HTML extension?: I recently re-installed my Windows 11 and struggled to set the Default App for the HTML file, it can only be opened with Ms. Edge, even when the default browser isn't Ms. Edge. I can't set the default app to the Code Editor such as Visual Studio Code or another app. Here's...
  4. i created a html document in notepad with a html extension, i'm not able to find it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i created a html document in notepad with a html extension, i'm not able to find it: i created a html document in notepad with a html extension probably half a month ago, when i tried to search upon that file i'm not able to find it please help it was efforts of 4 months. i tried to search with every file name i knew but was failed, everytime i searched it in...
  5. i created a html document in notepad with a html extension, i'm not able to find it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i created a html document in notepad with a html extension, i'm not able to find it: i created a html document in notepad with a html extension probably half a month ago, when i tried to search upon that file i'm not able to find it please help it was efforts of 4 months. i tried to search with every file name i knew but was failed, everytime i searched it in...
  6. i created a html document in notepad with a html extension, i'm not able to find it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Type extension Problem

File Type extension Problem: My files ,videos, music are affected by an extension type called .47lful55V all files and cant open any of the files and cant use. I have tried several methods to fix this but none of them give hands please help me to fix this issue I cant us any apps files videos music...
  8. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

in Browsers and Email
    Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension: On my system at least (Win10 2004): When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open...
  9. Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Save as MHTML defaults to HTML file extension: On my system at least (Win10 2004): When one chooses Save as MHTML from Edge, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave the file extension comes up in the Save As Dialog window as .HTML instead of .MHTML The resulting HTML file is really a disguised MHTML file and does not open...
  10. Problem with file extensions

Problem with file extensions: Hi , A virus changed all of my file extensions in my windows ( internal hard , external hard , flash drives ) and add the extension( .etqfc ) to all files in my computer how can I delete these extensions with one command in command prompt or powershell ?...