Windows 10: Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

Discus and support Problem with having add an SSD and HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a relative new pc with Asus A68HM Series motherboard that came with 1TB Toshiba HDD and I decided to disconnect it and fit a brand new WD Blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scopio, Nov 17, 2019.

1. scopio Win User

Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

I have a relative new pc with Asus A68HM Series motherboard that came with 1TB Toshiba HDD and I decided to disconnect it and fit a brand new WD Blue 500GB SSD which I had spare.
    Connected the SSD and installed Windows 10 1909 and tasted the pc and all worked fine. I connected the HDD, which only had Windows 10 1909installed to the pc in order to delete the partitions but when I powered on the pc it booted the HDD and not the SSD so, I disconnected the HDD and connected it a docking station and connected it to another pc so as to delete the two partitions that I was able to, as two other partitions could not be deleted, on the larger of the resulting partition I created a Simple partition to use as my data storage. Connected the HDD to the original pc but it boots to Preparing Automatic Repair.
    I do not understand why this should be other than the HDD seems to have been configured as Dynamic instead of Basic as I did not intended for the HDD to be Dynamic.

Problem with having add an SSD and HDD [​IMG]

With SSD only connected (plus flash drive)

Showing HDD as Dynamic and unable to extend Healthy partition or delete other partitions

Any help would be most appreciated on how to set the HDD to all space to be Unallocated and as Basic instead of Dynamic.

:)

scopio, Nov 17, 2019

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Nov 17, 2019
  3. SSD and HDD problems

Or, is there any way I can copy everything from my SSD to my HDD, then remove all of the sub folders and files within the main folders of the SSD? This way, I will be able to manually choose what is booted by my SSD and HDD, but I have to manually move the
    folders from the SSD to the appropiate folders in the HDD. I do not think this would work, but maybe?

Don't want to do anything without any confirmation/help/etc.

Thanks! <3

robbieyoung, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

SSD and HDD problems

Hello

I currently bought a new computer (Acer Helios 300 PH317-51-7578 17.3" FHD GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM i7-7700HQ 16 GB Memory 128 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home VR Ready Gaming Laptop - ONLY @ NEWEGG - Newegg.com), but had a technician set some things up. As a default, everything is being installed on my SSD, but as it only
    has 128GB, I would like to be able to choose what installs where. However, everything came as a default on the SSD (such as Program Files x86, etc.), and I cannot install anything on my HDD (except if on the installation it allows me to change the installation
    location, which is rare).

• GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5
    • Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
    • 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD
    • Windows 10

I have already done this (the image attached), but it does not work. The only thing I can think of is reinstalling Windows, but as this is an Acer product, I do not want to void the warranty (I am not sure if doing this will void it, but just to be safe).

Problem with having add an SSD and HDD 5adc61be-c3d0-4d0f-bc50-b45605f2e191?upload=true.png

Also, I have a small pet peeve. When I go into the folder Users, there is one which says "Pat," and I would like to change that name, but cannot. Obviously the problem above is prioritized, but this would be appreciated too!

Thank you!

- Robbie

robbieyoung, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

1. Problem with having add an SSD and HDD - Similar Threads - Problem having add

2. Ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd to hdd: I recently purchased a new ssd for my PC but realised the secondary slot doesn't support it gen 4. My current ssd is gen 3 and is supported by the secondary slot. However my OS and things are installed on it. If I installed the new one and moved the old to slot 2, would that...
  3. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  4. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  5. Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows?: Hello, first of all, sorry for the bad "headline". I'll just get started: I got my SSD today, so I just plugged you in normally. Worked, cloned you, and everything worked. When the computer rebooted, it still booted from the HDD and not from the SSD. Thereupon I asked a...
  6. Replace HDD with SSD Problems?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HDD with SSD Problems?: Hello, community, I bought an SSD today and wanted to replace my old HDD with this one. I have successfully cloned the content of the HDD onto the SSD and now I wanted to put it into operation. But if I select the SSD in the boot menu as boot device, the screen stays black...
  7. I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?: I just got an Acer Nitro 5 Model Number: AN515-54-51M5 . I have 1TB HDD and a 128 SSD. Some reason, even when downloading the games to my HDD my SSD still seems to fill up? I have only 2 Gigs left on the SSD.... Only had the laptop a few days, but been downloading games to...
  8. Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

Problem with having add an SSD and HDD: I have a relative new pc with Asus A68HM Series motherboard that came with 1TB Toshiba HDD and I decided to disconnect it and fit a brand new WD Blue 500GB SSD which I had spare. Connected the SSD and installed Windows 10 1909 and tasted the pc and all worked fine. I...
  9. have a problem of detecting the hdd

have a problem of detecting the hdd: Hello, I just installed window on my ssd, but my hdd just never appear in the window. In the bios menu, and the installation process, both my ssd and hdd can be detected. I am here to seek my advice and some possible solution. Thanks!...
  10. ssd and hdd

ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715