Windows 10: Problem with HDR in full screen mode

Discus and support Problem with HDR in full screen mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; In full screen games HDR mode gets disabled and all the colors are washed out. But in Windows Mode HDR mode gets enabled and the SDR game runs in HDR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by David Karki, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Problem with HDR in full screen mode

In full screen games HDR mode gets disabled and all the colors are washed out. But in Windows Mode HDR mode gets enabled and the SDR game runs in HDR

:)

David Karki, Feb 23, 2019

2. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hello moderator

1. Its all the games I own that don't support HDR10. Basically when I full screen on a non-HDR game, the screen goes black for a few seconds and HDR gets disabled and all the colors looked washed out (Like its in SDR)

I took 2 screenshots, One is in window mode, the other is in full screen

Windowed mode (HDR on) : Imgur

Full screen mode (HDR off) : Imgur

2. Yes SDR looks washed out. I want to play my games in full screen and in HDR. Playing in windowed mode is a nightmare

3. I know because the monitor goes black for a few seconds and all the colors look washed out (As shown in the screenshots)

Sadly the fixes did not work Problem with HDR in full screen mode :(

I updated the GPU drivers via GeForce Experience app.

My Monitor does support 4k HDR10

I tried lower the resolution and the refresh rate but that did not work.

Here is a video of my problem

YouTube Link :

Time Stamps :

0:00 HDR mode is on everything looks fine (In the video, when it looks high contrast, that means HDR is on)

0:35 I full screen the game. If you notice the high contrast is no longer there, the colors are washed out

0:46 I disable full screen and HDR mode is back on

*HDR looks high contrast, Ignore that, that's just the video itself.

Im also using windows 10 64bit 1809

WillyMcFly, Feb 23, 2019
  3. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hi Willy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you facing this issue with a particular game or all the games?
    2. Are the colors washed out in the game?
    3. How do you get to know that HDR mode gets disabled?

Meanwhile, try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1:
    Update Graphics Card Drivers.

Try updating the Display Drivers,
    restart the computer once after updating the drivers, and check for the issue.

Method 2:
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10.

Try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10
    and check if this helps.

Also, please refer to the section Display requirements for HDR in Windows 10 from the above article to check the compatibility of your monitor for HDR.

Method 3:
    Reduce Frame Rate.

Step 1: Go to Settings
    > System > Display
    > Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties.

Step 2: Switch to
    Monitor
    tab > Select 30 Hertz for the Screen refresh rate and click on
    OK.

Step 3: If you cannot find the option to change
    Frame Rate, reduce resolution by going to Display adapter properties, switch to
    Adapter tab, and select List All Modes.

Step 4: In List All Modes, select the setting that includes
    1920 by 1080, 60 Hertz, then select OK.

Step 5: Once you make the changes,
    restart the computer once and check for the issue.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 23, 2019
  4. Problem with HDR in full screen mode

Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Basically, When I go into full screen on a non-HDR game, HDR mode gets disabled and all the colors are washed out. However If I go into window mode, then HDR mode is enabled and the SDR game runs in HDR.

HDR does not work in full screen games. Someone please help me to fix this

Thanks!

Specs

GTX 1080

Ryzen 1800x

32GB DDR4 ram

LG 4k HDR10 27' 60hz monitor

***Edited Original Title From: Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen (HELP!!!!!!!!!!!)***

WillyMcFly, Feb 23, 2019
Thema:

Problem with HDR in full screen mode

1. Problem with HDR in full screen mode - Similar Threads - Problem HDR full

2. HDR minimize game in full screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR minimize game in full screen: HDR active, minimize the game after some time, can only run in window, when I deactivate the game can run I'm in windows 10 sometimes I manage to make it work but mostly is very difficult to keep the game in full screen...
  3. HDR minimize game in full screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR minimize game in full screen: HDR active, minimize the game after some time, can only run in window, when I deactivate the game can run I'm in windows 10 sometimes I manage to make it work but mostly is very difficult to keep the game in full screen...
  4. HDR minimize game in full screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. HDR turns off in full screen games

HDR turns off in full screen games: Whenever I try to play a game in full screen my HDR will turn off even though it used to run perfectly fine in full screen with HDR. I have the predator 4K monitor 3840 x 2160 120 hz refresh rate system specs AMD Ryzen 9 5950X AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT I am really not sure how to...
  6. Full screen mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full screen mode: When im playing fifa my windows randomly exits full screen mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/full-screen-mode/86d6b229-11ed-4bd3-b518-c92a0dc90bc2
  7. Why Is HDR Video In Full Screen Not Working Properly?

Why Is HDR Video In Full Screen Not Working Properly?: I have play HDR games and apps Stream HDR video on in the settings for both my external monitor and my laptop display. I have a Dell Inspirion 15 5000 series laptop and it may or may not be the problem rather than windows 10. At the bottom of the settings I adjust the...
  8. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.: Basically, When I go into full screen on a non-HDR game, HDR mode gets disabled and all the colors are washed out. However If I go into window mode, then HDR mode is enabled and the SDR game runs in HDR. HDR does not work in full screen games. Someone please help me to fix...
  9. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen (HELP!!!!!!!!!!!)

Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen (HELP!!!!!!!!!!!): Basically, When I go into full screen on a non-HDR game, HDR mode gets disabled and all the colors are washed out. However If I go into window mode, then HDR mode is enabled and the SDR game runs in HDR. HDR does not work in full screen games. Someone please help me to fix...
  10. Minimising & full screen mode problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Minimising & full screen mode problems: This is something that is driving me crazy *Confused So I thought I would share & hope someone has found a problem. 2 systems identical other than the CPU, 1 is FX 8350 & the other is FX 8370. Anyways. System A I use & have had windows 10 installed, updated along with...