Windows 10: Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

Discus and support Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Dell Inspiron i5 laptop Intel HD Graphics 4000 I am posting here as I'm not techie enough to know if this is definitely a graphics issue. For a short... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

Dell Inspiron i5 laptop
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

I am posting here as I'm not techie enough to know if this is definitely a graphics issue.

For a short while now there have been multicoloured lines, though mostly pink, appearing across the top half of the screen when booting up.

They are quite random:

Sometimes there is a narrow band of lines, sometimes a wider band.
    Sometimes it's just one quick flash of lines, another time they appear several times, another time not at all.

The lines only stay onscreen for a second or two, and always disappear before the login screen appears.

We have run Dell's SupportAssist to do a thorough check of the laptop, and this is not indicating anything is wrong with the laptop, except the battery.

I'm looking for advice - as simple to follow as possible please - on how to check this out further.

Thanks

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Jan 30, 2021
  2. DarylAsem Win User

Black line (horizontal) on the screen

Thanks for replying, actually the problem is a black single horizontal line, not a black screen.

DarylAsem, Jan 30, 2021
  3. ecoh419 Win User
    Dual Screen horizontal lines and tearing.

Hello All

I have a dual screen setup, with my desktop extended to a second monitor. A week or so after updating windows 10 with the creators update my dual screen set up is experiencing a large horizontal line traveling up one of my displays with shaking below. I have attached an image.

Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot [​IMG]

This first happened on my primary display (29" Asus connect with display port). After rebooting the tearing then moved over to my secondary display where it has remained for the last week intermittently. (Samsung 22" connected with a VGA to DVI adapter). Both Monitors are connected to my ATI R9 270.

I have ruled out the display hardware as this issue goes away in safe mode. If I set my computer to only use one display either the 22" or 29", the issue is gone. I have also connected to another computer (mac book pro) and the tearing does not persist.

Other things I have tried:

• Reboot
    • Shut down
    • Pulled power cords from monitors and pc for 30 minutes
    • Update graphics card driver
    • Reinstall graphic card driver
    • Try different connectors
    • Uninstall display device in hardware manager

Any and all help is appreciated as this one is really driving my nuts!

ecoh419, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

horizontal pink and blue lines

I have horizontal pink and blue lines starting at the top of my touch screen at start up. The only way to "fix" the problem is to use the touchscreen and restart the computer. I can see a small portion of the desktop at the top of the screen and it appears
    normal. Any suggestions?

LINDADIESS, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

1. Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot - Similar Threads - Problem horizontal lines

2. Unusual Horizontal line on screen!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unusual Horizontal line on screen!: A little bit of background:Suddenly, I was facing some issues with screen flickering and all in Windows10Updated the driversSet the refresh rateI then updated it to Windows 11The issue was somewhat resolved after changing the refresh rate and allBut I am witnessing this line,...
  3. Laptop displays tiny consecutive horizontal lines across the screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop displays tiny consecutive horizontal lines across the screen: Hi, I was using my laptop when suddenly the screen went white and then it blurs out leaving me these ugly horizontal lines across my computer screen. Here is a picture taken from my phone:Here is a closed up view:As you may notice, there is an unaffected area at the topmost...
  4. Laptop displays tiny consecutive horizontal lines across the screen

Laptop displays tiny consecutive horizontal lines across the screen: Hi, I was using my laptop when suddenly the screen went white and then it blurs out leaving me these ugly horizontal lines across my computer screen. Here is a picture taken from my phone:Here is a closed up view:As you may notice, there is an unaffected area at the topmost...
  5. Grey Horizontal Lines on Screen

Grey Horizontal Lines on Screen: I've been having an issue where multiple big lines appear on my screen and flicker randomly when I move my laptop around. I'm on a Lenovo Yoga laptop, running Windows 10. How can I fix this?...
  6. Horizontal line on screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Horizontal line on screen: Recently when watching a video, the bottom half of the screen froze and the upper half continued as it normally would. After , some time instead of the bottom half freezing, it appeared darker and a little glitchy when compared to the upper half of the screen. That too went...
  7. Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot: Dell Inspiron i5 laptop Intel HD Graphics 4000 I am posting here as I'm not techie enough to know if this is definitely a graphics issue. For a short while now there have been multicoloured lines, though mostly pink, appearing across the top half of the screen when booting...
  8. There are coloured horizontal lines across the screen

There are coloured horizontal lines across the screen: Brand new PC - Windows 10 Graphics Card: GEFORCE GTX 1669 Super From initial load to setting up windows these lines have appears. I downloaded/install all windows updated And downloaded/installed NVIDA experience gaming plus driver. I've also tried multiple screens 2x...
  9. Dotted horizontal line appears/flashes across my screen

Dotted horizontal line appears/flashes across my screen: A dotted line flashes across my screen every 2 seconds, at the bottom of my screen, a little over the taskbar. The part of the screen under it also kind of jiggles, it appears during startup as well, the first time this happened, it went away by itself after a while, but...
  10. horizontal stripe across the screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    horizontal stripe across the screen: A couple of days ago, a horizontal, light color stripe - about 3" from the top edge, about 1/4" wide - appeared on the screen and is present in all situations; the color of the stripe is related to whatever background color there is, just a little darker. Most visible it is...