Windows 10: Problem with installing W10

Discus and support Problem with installing W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I'm having problems with installing W10. First of all, for some reason, I'm still waiting for the upgrade to commense automatically. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sredna, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Sredna Win User

Problem with installing W10

Hi

I'm having problems with installing W10.

First of all, for some reason, I'm still waiting for the upgrade to commense automatically.

When checking the PC, via the installation tool, I'm told that there's a problem with the driver for the network card.
    Maybe this is why the installation dosn't autmatically start.
    I have been in contact with Asus support, which says that they are not shure wether a W10 driver will be created for this 2-3 year old motherboard ...
    Do you think there's a generic driver which will work?

Second, when running the 'MediaCreationToolx64.exe', where I can choose to upgrade or create an installation media, this fails, telling me that the reserved system partition coundn't be reserved.
    Problem with installing W10 [​IMG]

But as you can see, eventhough it's in Danish, there's lots of free space on the SSD.
    Problem with installing W10 [​IMG]

Any ideas for a solution for these problems, would be greately appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Sredna, Aug 29, 2015

2. PROBLEM WITH W10 SHUTDOWN AFTERR INSTALLING UPDATE

Since my previous posting on this forum, I have found another slightly different solution to this problem with Sleep, Hibernate and Shut Down after installation of W10. This solution was posted by Shahroze Sarfraz on Aug 23 on the same forum as the one
    by Tom Hack in my previous posting. Here it is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys i found a solution for the exact same problem ..
    I have "DellInspiron 15 3542"...

follow the steps given below .....

1. open device manager.

2. expand network adapters

3. update drivers for "Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)" and "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Properties"

4. then open properties for "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Properties"

5. open "power management" and then check first two boxes ....

6. then click ok .... close device manager...

7. restart your laptop....

8. now shut down to check if your problem solved .... mine was solved ... hope yours also be solved...

must reply if this works or not

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As you will see it is a variation on the same theme. Instead of altering the Power Management tab in the IME driver, in this suggestion the same tab in the Realtek PCle FE Family Controller driver is modified in exactly the same way. This may work in
    some cases where the previous one might not have. Good luck

John Smith II, Aug 29, 2015
  3. PROBLEM WITH W10 SHUTDOWN AFTERR INSTALLING UPDATE

Hello Vinod:

I appreciate your suggestions but I am not that comfortable with backing up the registry and modifying it. I also tried the suggestions of the many people who replied to this thread ie. hold the Shift key down while shutting down. That really didn't
    help. There were also people who suggested deselecting the fast reboot option in the Power Options dialogue box. I have done that. It also does not seem to help. The problem appears to be intermittent. Sometimes it shuts down properly and other times,
    not. Same with the Hibenate option. Only Sleep seems to work OK. Anyway, thanks everyone. As some remarked, I will also wait for MS to resolve the issue, but I won't hold my breath.

John

John Smith II, Aug 29, 2015
  4. owensdj Win User

Your System Reserved partition is separate from the partition that is your C: drive, so it doesn't matter how much free space you have on C:.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a driver packaged with Windows 10 that won't work with your network card. I've seen Windows 10 work perfectly on machines that were much older than yours.

The error message that says it can't update your System Reserved partition is a new one to me. It looks like your only course for updating to Windows 10 will be to fix that issue by doing a complete reinstall of Windows 7.

1. Get a copy of all of your data. That means documents, music, pictures, and anything else you want to keep.
    2. Start the Windows 7 install by booting from your install DVD. Delete all partitions during the install.
    3. Make 100% sure Windows 7 is activated with Microsoft.
    4 Use the Media Creation Tool to make a Windows 10 install DVD or USB flash drive. Make sure the Win10 install you make matches the Windows 7 install. 32/64-bit and Home/Pro.
    5. Run the Setup on the Windows 10 install media to start the in-place upgrade to Windows 10.
    6. After the Windows 10 upgrade is finished, make 100% sure that Windows 10 is activated with Microsoft.
    7. Boot to the Windows 10 install DVD/USB flash drive. During the install delete all of the partitions. Do not enter any Product Keys during the Windows 10 re-install. Just click Skip.
    8. After Windows 10 has done the fresh re-install, check to make sure it's activated with Microsoft.
    9. Copy your data back to Windows 10.
    10. Enjoy your completely stable, fast, and bug-free install of Windows 10.

owensdj, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Sredna Win User
    Hi
    I really appreciate your help.

Just a few follow up questions:

I have prioritized to install the software I use on an other physical harddrive.
    Is there anyway to back up the settings, so I can continue using these settings, after having done all this?

-and why do you recommend that I reinstall W10, once again after the first installation? -is it to get a completely fresh install??

Sredna, Aug 29, 2015
  6. owensdj Win User
    Yes. A completely fresh install is the best way to get a fast, trouble-free install. Since you're going to have to wipe out your existing install of Windows 7 anyway you might as well take the little bit of extra time to get a completely fresh install of Windows 10. You have to do an in-place upgrade from 7(also 8.1) to 10 get the free upgrade, but after that you can do a fresh reinstall of Windows 10. That's why I said to reinstall Windows 7.

If I understand your first question, you can't keep the software you've installed on that other physical hard drive. You'll need to reinstall all of those software packages after you get the fresh reinstall of Windows 10 working. You should also wipe out all of that so you can start your software reinstalls fresh as well. This is a long process, but you'll be very happy with how well your system runs once you get to back the way you like it.

owensdj, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Sredna Win User
    Ok, thank you for your help.

Have a nice day

Sredna, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Problem with installing W10

A complete reinstall of Win7, to a blank drive, will recreate the current 100MB System Reserved partition -- it does that by default when installing to a blank drive. There's no reason to believe that the new System Reserved partition is going to be any different than the existing System Reserved partition.

What a clean install does do, which might solve the problem, is install a new set of drivers and only the default apps that come with MS WIndows. In some cases, drivers and/or apps have caused problems with the Win10 Upgrade.

However, BEFORE you do this, you need to do the following:
    1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) on your PC
    2) Use the MR option to create an image backup of your install, being sure to include the System Reserved partition, to an external drive
    3) Use the MR option to create a boot USB stick or CD.

NOW, you have a way to restore your working system -- should anything go wrong during the Upgrade, or if you find you simply don't like it and want to return to your current working system.

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  9. owensdj Win User
    The error message he's getting makes it sound like he has something wrong with his existing System Reserved partition, not a driver/app problem. Wiping out all partitions and letting the Windows 7 install recreate this partition should fix the problem.

owensdj, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    The Reserve partition needs to be at least 350MB. The installer should handle this but doesn't.
    Some people have fixed this problem using EaseUS Partition Manager to shrink the OS drive and expand the Reserve partition. Can;t be done using Disk Management.

Ztruker, Aug 30, 2015
  11. That's generally true, but as with nearly everything else associated with the Win10 Upgrade, it's not always the case. I thought it was always the problem until after I visited the HP Support forums and found out that lots of other folks with Win7 machines with the existing 100MB System Reserved partitions upgraded without problem.

Mark Phelps, Aug 30, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Hmmm, would that be because to 100MB partition was not set as active and the boot files were actually in the OS partition?

If so that might work as a fix too, transfer the boot files to the OS partition and mark it as active and not the reserve partition.

Ztruker, Aug 30, 2015
  13. Sredna Win User

Is the conclusion still that I have to do a complete reinstall, or would it be possible to repair or resize the partition?

Sredna, Aug 30, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    What I would do is install MiniTool Partition Wizard for free. Shrink your large C: drive partition by 250 mb, making 250 mb of free space next to the system reserved partition (so you probably want the 250 mb free space out of the beginning of the big C: drive partition). Then expand the system reserved partition by 250mb - making it 350mb in size. There is no need for boot disks or USB flash drives for that, Partition Wizard will install right in Windows and will do it's own reboot to shrink the C: drive partition.

MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

Then do your upgrade to Windows 10 and after it is activated you can do a clean install if you want to.

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2015
  15. Sredna Win User
    @NavyLCDR - that did the trick. I manged to install W10 after resizing the 100MB partition to 350MB.

thanks for your help *Smile

Sredna, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Problem with installing W10 - Similar Threads - Problem installing W10

2. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10: Hello, i have a problem. trying to install an operating system on my acer v5. The first problem is that I cannot create a partition.Images: https://files.fm/u/2422r8zq2https://files.fm/u/6putxs97wI tried to create new ones in cmd, but I couldn't. I tried to format the disk...
  3. Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with Partitions, cant instal W10: Hello, i have a problem. trying to install an operating system on my acer v5. The first problem is that I cannot create a partition.Images: https://files.fm/u/2422r8zq2https://files.fm/u/6putxs97wI tried to create new ones in cmd, but I couldn't. I tried to format the disk...
  4. problem installing W10 cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem installing W10 cumulative updates: Hi there, ive posted about this issue once before, but the last few W10 updates simply will not install on my machine.They download just fine, install in the windows update manager, and when it goes through the restart process it hangs at 7% - always at 7% - and then restarts...
  5. problem installing W10 cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem installing W10 cumulative updates: Hi there, ive posted about this issue once before, but the last few W10 updates simply will not install on my machine.They download just fine, install in the windows update manager, and when it goes through the restart process it hangs at 7% - always at 7% - and then restarts...
  6. problem installing W10 cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Problem with installing w10 on w7

Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  8. Problem when installing W10 in SSD

Problem when installing W10 in SSD: Hi. I'm going to describe inch by inch every single detail of my problem. Thank you everyone for trying to help and please someone like me who is dying about this issue... 1) I have a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and ALL my precious files. 2) I used to have Windows 7 in...
  9. W10 installation problem

W10 installation problem: I installed W10 on my W7 machine the first day it was available but I reverted back to W7 after two weeks due to video driver problems. Now I plan to install 10 again on a brand new hard drive in the same machine and I'm hoping that I can switch hard drives back and forth...
  10. Problems since W10 Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems since W10 Install: Since the W10 upgrade I have experienced problems. Firstly in any browser I am unable to use Ctrl c, Ctrl v or any other command that starts with Ctrl. When I press Ctrl the browser immediately zooms to maximum size and I am unable to reduce the magnification at all....