Windows 10: Problem with Local Admin Functions and accessing User Account Priveledges

Discus and support Problem with Local Admin Functions and accessing User Account Priveledges in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Several backup installation applications require "Run as Administrator" to proceed. Generally my computer is refusing to allow me to "Run as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JamesWoodruff1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Problem with Local Admin Functions and accessing User Account Priveledges

Several backup installation applications require "Run as Administrator" to proceed. Generally my computer is refusing to allow me to "Run as Administrator". My computer has only one user account "legacy from Windows 7" which is a "Local Administrator" account. When I try to run "lusrmgr.msc" by any of the 5 methods suggested in another forum, I end up with the message: "This snapin may not be used with this edition of Windows 10, to manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel."

When I go that route the graphic indicates that my account is a "Local Administrator". For some reason my Windows 7 "Backup and Restore" utility has stopped working. Most buttons and click points on its screen will do nothing. It stopped working early this month "Jan 2020". I've now tried installing two different 3rd party "Backup" applications, and both want to "run as administrator" to install., When I click the appropriate spot to "Run as Administrator", one reports "no administrator privilege", the other just stops and does nothing at all.

My questions are therefor several: Does anyone know how to deal with this problem? Is there a way to install a better edition of Windows 10 without loosing use and license to my 60 or so legacy programs originally installed in Windows Vista or Windows 7. If I try uninstall upgrades in my upgrade history, would that perhaps fix this problem?

JWY

:)

JamesWoodruff1, Jan 20, 2020
  2. dch1950 Win User

admin accounts (local or Microsoft?)

Hi I have used Win 10 since it came out and in general, I'm happy with it.
    Is there a difference in system access rights given to a local account administrator as compared to an Microsoft account based logon to an admin account?
    The reason I ask is that I only have one log on (as I'm sole user) to a local account with admin rights (or so I thought)
    I wanted to remove/in-install a program today, and was presented with a message which said I MAY not have sufficient priveledge to remove the app. As I'm GOD on my system - how can this possibly occur?
    Any thoughts?
    regards
    Dave Hickman

dch1950, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

4. Arun B J Win User

Problem with Local Admin Functions and accessing User Account Priveledges

Cannot access my User Account on local machine but can access Admin account. Need help finding password but NOT reset it as it will delete saved data.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you reset the local account password it will not delete the Saved data.

I suggest you to back up the saved data and files from the admin account and try to reset the password and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

• Press Windows + R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Reset Password.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Problem with Local Admin Functions and accessing User Account Priveledges

1. Problem with Local Admin Functions and accessing User Account Priveledges - Similar Threads - Problem Local Admin

2. user account access problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user account access problem: Need to restore access password reset to my wife's account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, can you help? Web interface is continually rejecting requests. The account in question is connected to my wife's user account on her laptop. She does not use it for email...
  3. user account access problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user account access problem: Need to restore access password reset to my wife's account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, can you help? Web interface is continually rejecting requests. The account in question is connected to my wife's user account on her laptop. She does not use it for email...
  4. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  5. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  6. No Admin access and cannot switch user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No Admin access and cannot switch user account: I need help please! My laptop has 2 very big problems first I can't switch users and second I don't have Admin rights even though I have admin password. Anything that requires admin access can no longer do. what should I do? I am on Windows 10 Home and this started about 2...
  7. user local and admin accounts missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user local and admin accounts missing: Since a about a week my local user account and my admin account are gone. With it, the documents, pictures and downloads directories are nearly empty, only the most recent documents are listed. Luckily I save most of my documents on other drives but I would like to find my...
  8. Admin access to users accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin access to users accounts: Now that I've upgrade our main machine from xp64 to Win10, I am not trying to restore everyone profile stuff. However, even as admin I can't seem to access anyone's profile but mine. How can i access their profiles so I can load all their stuff back into them? It would...
  9. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...
  10. No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account

No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account: Hello All, I'm delighted to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please!*cry I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help*Smile Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which...