Windows 10: Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

Discus and support Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Today i was casually using my PC, when suddenly my screen freezed and I got the BSOD. Shortly after that the computer rebooted itself and instead... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ver0s, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Ver0s Win User

Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

Hi,

Today i was casually using my PC, when suddenly my screen freezed and I got the BSOD. Shortly after that the computer rebooted itself and instead of normally booting it displayed a message saying that I have to instert the proper boot device. I googled a bit and thought that MBR could be the culprit so I launched the command line and tried some commands like bootrec /fixboot /fixmbr and /rebuildbcd. None of them worked so I decided to perform a clean install but when it resets itself at the end you're supposee to change the boot device. So when i got into the boot menu and selected the drive where the OS was supposed to be installedKingston and clicked it, the screen just blinked for a second and didn't do anything else. Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager [​IMG]

:)

Ver0s, Jul 28, 2020

2. Windows Boot Manager - Windows failed to start

Hi yorkyukI'm

Wilfredo S an Independent Advisor

The following suggestions are described by another moderator regarding your problem where it was solved by following the steps below

The error message Windows boot manager boot failed appears if the Master Boot Record is corrupted. The most common reasons why a Master Boot Record will be corrupted are malware infections and improper shutting down of your computer. For us to assist you, we
    suggest that you repair the Master Boot Record of your Windows 10 computer. Here's a simple guide that you can follow to do it:

Press F8 while booting the system to go into the Windows Recovery Menu.

Click on Troubleshoot.

Click on Advanced options to get into Automatic Repair menu.

We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other:

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixMbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootsect /nt60 SYS or bootsect /nt60 ALL

Exit and now go ahead and reboot your system.

We highly recommend that you backup your Master Boot Record or create a System Recovery Disk so that in case something like this happens you don’t have to run the Windows Recovery Disk. To create a system recovery drive, just follow the steps listed below:

Press the Start button.

Type RecoveryDrive.exe.

Click Next

Once you insert the USB drive, it will start creating the Recovery on your USB drive.

Author>> Paolo Mag

Source>>
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I hope it helps you

Wilfredo_Soto, Jul 28, 2020
  3. mickmouse Win User
    Master Boot Record

If I knew what steps to take to resolve this issue I would take them and not have to ask Microsoft for assistance.

I have one hard drive that has always been partitioned so that I have been running 2 instances of windows 7.

One my wife uses and the other is for my use.

When I turned on my pc a boot menu came up so I could choose

Windows 7 Trev or

Windows 7 Jane...

It has been this way for years and has always worked even though I have periodically re-installed either one or the other or both.

The Master Boot Record has always worked fine with no problems..

I have burned my copy of windows 10 to a dvd after first upgrading one of the windows 7 operating systems to get the licence key.

Then after formatting the partition I did a clean install of windows 10 on one partition and a clean windows 7 install on the other partition.

The master Boot Record is there. It says

Windows 10 Jane And

Windows 7 Trev.

So I can boot into the one I choose. However whenever I boot into windows 10 then after doing what I want to do on it and switch off my pc or reboot it. Then it boots straight into windows 10 so I quickly press the re-set button on my tower and after the
    post screen the boot screen returns and I can choose to boot into windows 7 but before it boots into windows 7 it wants to run a full disk check which can take hours unless I press a key to make it skip the check but it always comes up whenever I want to boot
    into windows 7 until I have let it do the check and NO it never finds any problems with the disk.

This only happens when I have used windows 10.

I cannot elaborate any more than this and you obviously have not read my initial post or you would not have asked question 3.

mickmouse, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Pinchy Win User

Boot Problems Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager :(

Just out of interest, what got you the BIOS screen?

And in the BIOS, is everything set correctly, like is the raptor master, caviar slave, etc etc? And is the master set to boot up windows first in the boot priority list?

Pinchy, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager - Similar Threads - Problem Master Boot

2. Windows boot manager problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boot manager problem: Hi, So about 3 weeks ago I did the update from win10 to win11, but I had to convert C: drive from MBR to GPT I did it with the MBR2GPT command. Since then, I was able to enable UEFI mode in BIOS but my boot drive went from M.2 Samsung evo 2 wich is my C: drive to Windows boot...
  3. Windows boot manager problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boot manager problem: Hi, So about 3 weeks ago I did the update from win10 to win11, but I had to convert C: drive from MBR to GPT I did it with the MBR2GPT command. Since then, I was able to enable UEFI mode in BIOS but my boot drive went from M.2 Samsung evo 2 wich is my C: drive to Windows boot...
  4. Problem with windows boot manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with windows boot manager: I have installed windows on dual boot . One on SSD and one on HDD .I have deleted the windows partition on HDD and accidentally removed SSD boot manager in BIOS .I can still boot into windows on SSD with HDD boot manager . Now i would like to format my hard disk . could...
  5. Boot manager problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot manager problem: How can I solve it? Every time when I start my laptop the below setting appear on my screen. And after pressing enter button my windows turn on. I don't want this interruption. I have tried to solve it lots of time but I have failed. Need some technical support.[IMG]...
  6. windows boot manager problem

windows boot manager problem: Hi! I actually have 2 problems that i might need help with. 1st - I have an internal HDD where i just keep my old files, suddenly it stopped working and it hangs my computer whenever i try to access it. It gets read by the Bios and "this pc" but when you try to click it to...
  7. Master Boot Record

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Master Boot Record: Okay, so I remove, from my laptop, the SSD with Windows 10 installed. Then I put in an different SSD and install Ubuntu. Now I put the SSD with Windows 10 back in the laptop alonside the SSD with Ubuntu. I turn on the laptop. What happens next? -- Am I taken to BIOS and...
  8. Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive

Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive: I'm perplexed and frustrated. I have a legacy 64 bit dual core desktop (ASUS mobo). I have several Sata hard drives in it with the 4th partition of my 1 Terabyte drive containing my Windows 10 Professional boot OS. After converting another similar legacy machine to a NAS...
  9. Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

in Windows 10 News
    Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record: It’s hard enough for non-technical users to deal with ransomware infections: understanding public-key cryptography, connecting to the Tor anonymity network and paying with Bitcoin cryptocurrency. A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking...
  10. Problems with Windows boot manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Windows boot manager: I recently got an Intel Broadwell NUC and installed Windows 10 (build 10162) into it. I then added a Sandisk USB3.0 flash drive into which I had installed OpenELEC (a portable KODI OS if you will). I can access OpenELEC via NUC's boot manager/BIOS but that's pretty clumsy...