Windows 10: Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup

Discus and support Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When trying to backup first i get asked to login, but immediately after i get message saying "Something went wrong. Please send us logs using the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Radek_menti, May 30, 2020.

1. Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup

When trying to backup first i get asked to login, but immediately after i get message saying

"Something went wrong. Please send us logs using the Send logs option"

I have sent logs, but I want to know whether I should delete old backup and try again or wait for you to fix it?!

* Moved from Community Participation Center

:)

Radek_menti, May 30, 2020
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Get Backup Errors - Third Try Didn't Work

This is my third try for help.

I've enclosed my problem, the steps suggested which I performed, and current status.

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

You had this question

• Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup [​IMG]

DM

Divya M replied on

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Method 1Perform a Clean Boot to see if there is any software conflict as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow Step 7 from the link to return the computer toNormal startup mode.

Method 2: Run check disk to check for any errors.

Note: If any bad sectors are found in the hard drive then it might try to repair that particular sector. If you have any data on that, it might be lost.

You may also follow the below link and check if it helps:

Get the latest Windows features | Install Windows 10 Insider Preview

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------

Yes, I need more assistance.

I ran a disk check on both the source and destination drives for the backup. No errors.

I executed a clean boot. (I have left myself in the clean boot). It doesn't seem to work

I'm not sure to check whether it has worked, and I just couldn't tell. How do I confirm that the initial, image, backup has been completed?

The event viewer reports this error every time I attempt to manually initiate a backup:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 201.

I'm assuming that with this error, my backups are not being done.

Bokenzhe, May 30, 2020
  3. Microsoft People App won't sync with Google 2FA account even with app password

When I try and sync contacts on the Microsoft People App - I am unable to with my google account that has 2FA setup. I tried to setup a specific app password but that doesn't work either. If I use the app password it says "try again with your Google Account
    password". When I try with my account password it says "wrong password. Try again or click Forgot password to reset it". I am able to use the Microsoft mail app just fine with the google 2fa but not this app. Any help is appreciated - thx.

LindsayMOAvery, May 30, 2020
  4. Bokenzhe Win User

Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup

1. Problem with Microsoft 2FA app. When trying to backup - Similar Threads - Problem Microsoft 2FA

2. Email and 2fa problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Email and 2fa problem: Hello guys,thanks for speding your time by helping me,i have a serious problem,my problem is that i dont have acces to my email and 2fa mobile app that is linked to my microsoft account,i have some info that may help you,i need the account because this account is linked to an...
  3. Email and 2fa problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Email and 2fa problem: Hello guys,thanks for speding your time by helping me,i have a serious problem,my problem is that i dont have acces to my email and 2fa mobile app that is linked to my microsoft account,i have some info that may help you,i need the account because this account is linked to an...
  4. Are there any backup codes for Windows 2FA login?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are there any backup codes for Windows 2FA login?: Hi, I am planing to start using multi-factor authentication to log in to my OS Windows 11. FIDO U2F security key + password. Are there any backup codes which Microsoft provides fow Windows login like some apps do Instagram, Google, Facebook, etc. so I can regain access to my...
  5. Are there any backup codes for Windows 2FA login?

Are there any backup codes for Windows 2FA login?: Hi, I am planing to start using multi-factor authentication to log in to my OS Windows 11. FIDO U2F security key + password. Are there any backup codes which Microsoft provides fow Windows login like some apps do Instagram, Google, Facebook, etc. so I can regain access to my...
  6. Microsoft Authenticator and VPN 2FA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator and VPN 2FA: Hi,I joined a new company few days ago. They require 2FA enabled on the company Microsoft account. I do not mind that. Problem is, that 2FA is requested also when connecting to the company VPN. Again, easily setup with Microsoft Authenticator - when you try to connect to the...
  7. Microsoft Authenticator and VPN 2FA

Microsoft Authenticator and VPN 2FA: Hi,I joined a new company few days ago. They require 2FA enabled on the company Microsoft account. I do not mind that. Problem is, that 2FA is requested also when connecting to the company VPN. Again, easily setup with Microsoft Authenticator - when you try to connect to the...
  8. Microsoft Authenticator and VPN 2FA

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. 2FA is disabled but Microsoft asks me for 2FA

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    2FA is disabled but Microsoft asks me for 2FA: I was going to sign in to Visual Studio 2019 with my Microsoft Account and then was prompted to use 2 Factor Auth. using the Authenticator App and I realized that it was not completely setup, meaning that Microsoft is asking for 2FA when I have not enabled mobile sign in. And...
  10. Problem with Microsoft account - backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with Microsoft account - backup: Problems: 1. choose setting > update & security > backup -- then move the "automatically back up my files" slider from OFF to ON Get error message: 0x8007052E 2. choose setting > update & security > backup > More Options > backup options Page says 'Total space on...