Windows 10: Problem with my new install of Windows 10 File Explorer window search

Discus and support Problem with my new install of Windows 10 File Explorer window search in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I reinstalled windows after problems with the latest updates, and am struggling to restore my computer to former usability! The file explorer search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PTArtist, Jul 2, 2020.

1. PTArtist Win User

Problem with my new install of Windows 10 File Explorer window search

I reinstalled windows after problems with the latest updates, and am struggling to restore my computer to former usability!

The file explorer search seems to be broken: it seems to lack most previous features date modified, file type, etc. and sometimes when I type into this box file exploder wants to open my search string as a file, displaying a menu for which program to use!

Can anyone suggest how to fix, or recommend a good lightweight alternative search tool?

Thanks in advance!

PTArtist

:)

PTArtist, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 2, 2020
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jul 2, 2020
  4. r.h.p Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem with my new install of Windows 10 File Explorer window search - Similar Threads - Problem install File

2. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  3. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  4. Problem with new Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with new Windows 10 File Explorer: What used to work no longer did with the addition of the new File Explorer in Windows 10. Office files on a network would not open using File Explorer. However the file would open if one used MS Word or Excel 2007 "recent files". So. today there was some sort of an update and...
  5. File Explorer Search Problem

in Cortana
    File Explorer Search Problem: I have a Windows 10 user losing her ability to enter search criteria in a Windows 10 Search box. If logged in as her, and I click in the Search box from any number of places, no typing appears in the box. Also, If I open the Windows Start menu and attempt to type in a...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer and Windows Installer problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer and Windows Installer problem: Whenever I launch File explorer, windows installer starts and tries to install something but never completes, then after a while both close. Also, I am unable to launch anything with RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, again windows installer launches and after a while crashes or quits....
  7. Windows File Explorer search problems

in Cortana
    Windows File Explorer search problems: Since the November update (1909) there are several problems with searching in the Windows File Explorer (I don't mean the taskbar search). First, I can't see what I'm typing in the tiny search bar. And not because my eyesight is bad, but because the text I'm typing isn't...
  8. Search in file explorer - windows 10

in Cortana
    Search in file explorer - windows 10: Hello. Is it possible to search in file explorer (windows 10) for specific files based on a time, but not date? Regards, Leif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-file-explorer-windows-10/807da9a3-2e13-4c8c-b394-298a8acb7a78"
  9. Search in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Search in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 The Search Box in File Explorer allows you to find and view all your files and folders in one place. As you type in the Search Box, a simple search through the index begins to...
  10. File explorer problem - searching opens new window

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer problem - searching opens new window: Whenever I start to type in the search field, I never get to finish typing because explorer opens a new window right away after the first character. EDIT: Also, double clicking folders opens a new window as well. 37457