Windows 10: Problem with my shift key

Discus and support Problem with my shift key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, I use a Lenovo Thinkpad E431plus the latest update of Windows 10 on it. I recently started having a problem with my shift key, it switches on and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Krae_king, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Krae_king Win User

Problem with my shift key

Hey, I use a Lenovo Thinkpad E431plus the latest update of Windows 10 on it. I recently started having a problem with my shift key, it switches on and off on its own and most times it stays on even without me pressing the shift key. This prevents me from typing in my pin except if I use the on screen keyboard and the problem still persists even with the on screen keyboard. It's really annoying, sometimes it goes back to normal but now it shows no signs of going back to normal. Please help me get this fixed permanently.

Ionno if I would be notified via email with the fix, but twill be cool If I could.

:)

Krae_king, Jan 28, 2019
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Jan 28, 2019
  3. Shift/ctrl key problem.

Hi Jovan,

The issue you're experiencing is probably due to incorrect settings. A Windows Ease of Access feature called
    Filter keys is an accessibility function that tells the keyboard to ignore repeated strokes. When this function is enabled, it ignores whatever key is pressed down or repeatedly pressed. To verify this, follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on Ease of Access.
    • Under Ease of Access Center, click on Change how your keyboard works.
    • Under Make it easier to type, click on Set up Filter keys.
    • The Turn on Filter Keys should not be checked, as well as
      Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds

We also suggest that you play around with the features and check which one works best for you. If the issue persists, let us know.

Patricia Yu, Jan 28, 2019
  4. Problem with my shift key

Problems with shift key

Hi,

If there are settings that need to configure this issue might happen. Let's troubleshoot your issue by creating a user profile and check if it works. To do this follow the steps below:

On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:

• First, click Start, then select Settings.
    • Select Accounts, then select Family & other people.
    • Then, Add someone else to this PC.
    • Lastly, enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.

On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:

• First, click Start, then select Settings.
    • Select Accounts, then click Other people.
    • Then, Add someone else to this PC.
    • At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select
      Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    • Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next.
    Disclaimer: Once this troubleshooting steps fix the issue, it means that the previous user account is corrupted.

If the issue still persists, we suggest the following links:

How do I reassign hot keys for my keyboard?

How do I use the Fn key/F Lock key/Alternate command keys?

Also, for us to isolate your concern, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages or error code that may explain the problem?
    • Were there any changes, recent updates, and newly installed applications on your device that may have affected your computer's performance?
    • Which version and build of Windows device are you using? To verify your Windows, press
      Windows + R to open the Run window. Type WINVER
      and press Enter. A new window will open showing the version and build number of your Windows device.
    • To avoid repetition, can you provide us with all the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

Problem with my shift key

1. Problem with my shift key - Similar Threads - Problem shift key

2. There is a problem with my shift, alt, and ctrl keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is a problem with my shift, alt, and ctrl keys.: So here im playing this game Roblox™ and they have this mouse feature they call "shiftlock" and its activated by the shift key, but the problem im having is that its being activated by the CTRL key and another thing that annoys me is that normally you click the key once to...
  3. There is a problem with my shift, alt, and ctrl keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is a problem with my shift, alt, and ctrl keys.: So here im playing this game Roblox™ and they have this mouse feature they call "shiftlock" and its activated by the shift key, but the problem im having is that its being activated by the CTRL key and another thing that annoys me is that normally you click the key once to...
  4. shift key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    shift key: hello everyone another problem so i was typing and cant use the shift key i have to long press it for it to work and the days go by when i press it doesnt hold it so i thought the actual key was broken so i tried the right one but still the same problem all the other keys...
  5. keyboard problem with shift key

keyboard problem with shift key: when ever I press left shift I get the a bracket like this instead of just helping with writing capital letters and when I press right shift the whole written text gets deleted , please help me out I have been trying to find a solution on the net but couldn't find one , I...
  6. problem with Shift key

problem with Shift key: some of my keyboard keys are not working correctly, only when I use shift. Tried 3 different keyboards, all the same issue. but in bios setting working correctly I searched on the internet and I find the keyboard driver has an issue. I uninstall the driver many times and...
  7. Problem related to malfunctioning of shift keys

Problem related to malfunctioning of shift keys: The shift key is'nt working for some of the keys like zxcv and tags. One of my shift key the right one has also stopped working. the left key starts working fine while using sticky keys....
  8. my shift keys are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    my shift keys are not working: I have a H p pavilion laptop and the shift keys are not working I have tried sticky keys and updating keyboard driver but still not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-shift-keys-are-not-working/c2f30f5a-42ed-4526-af9e-8e2a4b5224ae
  9. shift key problems with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift key problems with Windows 10: Not sure why this problem persists after it seemed to go away?? Right now I can use the question mark and the shift key but just 3 hours ago when I was using this same computer I could not use any of the shift key functions to capitalize nor to get special key strokes....
  10. my shift keys are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    my shift keys are not working: my shift keys are not working so eg cannot use question mark and instead get _ . Just checked the key to the right of zero and if I press the shift key on that I get the interrogation mark. It seems that these two keys have swapped over and similarly if I press shift key...