Windows 10: Problem with my Toshiba external drive.

Discus and support Problem with my Toshiba external drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I'm very sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section. Previously I have only ever posted a 'response' to a particular thread. My problem is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Milton, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Milton Win User

Problem with my Toshiba external drive.

Hello. I'm very sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section. Previously I have only ever posted a 'response' to a particular thread.
    My problem is this. Recently I tried (and failed) to create a bootable version of Window 10 on my (blank) external 1TB Toshiba external drive. Once I realized that I had failed, I then wanted to format the drive for other use. I then noticed that somehow I had acquired an extra 'RECOVERY' drive. Please see attached screenshot.
    Regardless of how many times I format the Toshiba drive......that 'RECOVERY' drive remains.
    Please can any of you wise people help me get rid of it ?

:)

Milton, Aug 22, 2018

2. Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

The manufacturer does not list a driver for the Canvio HDTC705AL3A1 model which shows the problem. The drive was visible from an XP machine, and after this was visible once on a Win 7 Machine but is currently not visible on the Win 7 machine. There are many
    driver update programs available, but the disappearance of visibility on the Win 7 machine would seem to indicate a hardware problem with the device.

A post describing a I TB Toshiba USB Drive which could be accessed from XP but not Win 7 is at

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/1tb-external-hard-drive-works-on-xp-but-not/3f04c33a-1eb2-49d6-9cbe-8384962ff52d

The answer was:

I found the problem to be with the controller that Toshiba uses on their external hard drives.

I removed the Toshiba hard drive from the casing, put it into a SeaGate casing (thus using a SeaGate controller) and it worked fine.

To my knowledge their is no software work around for a Toshiba Ext HD and W7. Take the HD out of the casing, buy a cheap eSATA to USB connector & problem solved.

Do you think this is likely to be my problem? I don't have any spare removable USB drives to try the treatment suggested

SimonKravis2, Aug 22, 2018
  3. Toshiba External Drive wont respond even though it connects

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us with the information.

Let’s check if this is an issue with external drive. I would suggest you to connect the external drive in different computer and check if you are able to open the drive.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Hope this information is helpful. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Problem with my Toshiba external drive.

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Problem with my Toshiba external drive.

1. Problem with my Toshiba external drive. - Similar Threads - Problem Toshiba external

2. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  3. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  4. Toshiba external drive is not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba external drive is not detected: Mi disco duro externo toshiba no es detectado en lo absoluto por mi pc cuando la conecto a mi computadora mi computadora no detecta nada, es como si no hubiera conectado nada, la prove en otros dispositivos y estos si la reconocen, alguien podría ayudarme...
  5. Toshiba external drive is not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external drive is not detected: Mi disco duro externo toshiba no es detectado en lo absoluto por mi pc cuando la conecto a mi computadora mi computadora no detecta nada, es como si no hubiera conectado nada, la prove en otros dispositivos y estos si la reconocen, alguien podría ayudarme...
  6. Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive: Drive won't be recognized by Windows 10. Toshiba states it's because of a windows 10 update. How do I remedy this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-1tb-external-hard-drive/c97c98c0-f558-41d9-9099-f8690942888e
  7. Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized: [ATTACH] This is a Toshiba 3Tb external hard drive I have used in the past and it worked fine until one day I got this error. I have tried updating drivers, windows says I have the latest version. I've looked into partitioning, windows doesn't even show the hard drive. I...
  8. Toshiba external hard drive (HDD)1TB

Toshiba external hard drive (HDD)1TB: Hello, I have the above HDD and used it for storage for some while. I can no longer access the device. When I connect it to my laptop a light inside the unit flashes indicating it is receiving power. However, when I try to access the unit through "this pc" it is not showing...
  9. Toshiba external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Toshiba external hard drive: windows 10. I installed the harddrive. did everything by the book. The device has been recognised and the owners manual uploaded to device, then I backed up to device, but can't open any files. The file icons are shown, but don't show size and I can't open any?...
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...