Windows 10: Problem with non standard character in user folder name

Discus and support Problem with non standard character in user folder name in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi y'all, I've installed windows 10 education on my machine and it consequently named the user folder after my name and surname ( because this license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MajorLuke, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Problem with non standard character in user folder name

Hi y'all, I've installed windows 10 education on my machine and it consequently named the user folder after my name and surname ( because this license is provided to me by my college ). This is turned out to be a huge problem when it comes to installing any program because my surname contains a non non standard character: "Č" . Some installers do work after changing the location of the .exe file and installing it from there, but a lot of others (e.g. java installer) aren't. I've looked up a lot of tutorials that use another administrative account but this method doesn't help me as I need to use the one with which I've logged in. Is there anything I can do that changes just the user folders' name and not my college account name? Maybe any other ideas?

Edit: Would changing the default language of windows to my mother language resolve these installer problems? It's currently set to english.

submitted by /u/MajorLuke
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MajorLuke, Apr 1, 2020

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 25, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Changing User Folder Name? (Windows 10)

Hi elkstra

Windows 10 is very different to previous versions of Windows, the user profile folder will generally be named with the first 5 characters of your name and even if you rename your user account, the name on that folder will not change . . .

Microsoft advise against renaming that folder, because that can cause issues at a later stage . . .

if you do wish to change the name on that folder, trusted MVP Shawn Brink provides the steps to do so in a safe way on this page . . .

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang...

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

DaveM121, May 25, 2020
  4. ddelo Win User

Problem with non standard character in user folder name

Unreadable non-ANSI characters in Notepad

The problem:
    People living in countries, with languages including non-ANSI characters and want a full English Windows environment.
    If the user sets the System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs) to the country they live in, then many apps will check this setting and without giving the user any option, are installed with a localized interface, i.e. GUI based on the System locale, which might not be desirable.

The apparent resolution is to change the System locale to English (US), which solves the apps interface issue, but because we’re talking about Microsoft Windows there is (as always…) an exception. In this case is Notepad…
    Notepad has ANSI (= ASCII & Extended ASCII) as its default setting for saving text files. If the text file contains non-ANSI characters then it gives a warning…which if you accidentally bypass and save the file with the ANSI encoding, all non-ANSI characters become unreadable.

Being such a user, I have an English (US) installation and to avoid the localized app interface, I have set the System locale to English (United States).
    For some reason, which I haven’t found yet, before version 1803, I could save text documents with Greek (non-ANSI) characters and since I wasn’t getting the encoding warning (at least not that often) when saving the file, a lot of files with Greek characters were saved as ANSI and had no problem.

This encoding issue has become stricter in 1803. My guess is the “Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support” setting that has been added when you change system locale has something to do with it. Either way this is, as stated, still in Beta, thus it doesn’t work as it supposed to, yet!

So how to read all these text files with ANSI encoding, which contain non-ANSI characters, that are now unreadable?

The solution:
    Step 1
    Go to: Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language > Related Settings > Administrative Language Settings (opens Control Panel) > System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs)

Alternatively, for short, type in Windows search/Cortana:
    control.exe /NAME Microsoft.RegionalAndLanguageOptions /PAGE /p:"Administrative"

and change the “System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs)” to the locale of the country you live in (Greece in my case).
    The system will need to reboot. Click Restart.

Step 2
    Download the UnicodeConverter.zip, save and extract it on your Desktop. The zip file contains three scripts:
    CheckFileEncoding.ps1
    ConvertFilesToUnicode.ps1
    ConvertFilesToUnicode_NoBOM.ps1 (for advanced users)

Step 3
    Open an elevated PowerShell and type the command:
    Code:
    Then type the following command (provided that you have saved the script in your Desktop):
    Code:
    The script will give you a list of all the ANSI text files, in all your user folders, as System.Text.ASCIIEncoding.

You can check some with non-ANSI characters and verify that they are readable. (They should, since your locale is a non-ANSI one).

Step 4
    Now you can run the command:
    Code:
    The script will:
    1. Create a backup folder in C:\Backup\ASCIItxtBackup and will save a backup of all ANSI files you have in your user folders
    2. Convert all ANSI files you have in your user folders to Unicode.

After that, you can do again Step 3, to verify that there are no ANSI files in your user folders.

Step 5
    Go to: Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language > Related Settings > Administrative Language Settings (opens Control Panel) > System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs)

Alternatively, for short, type in Windows search/Cortana:
    control.exe /NAME Microsoft.RegionalAndLanguageOptions /PAGE /p:"Administrative"

and change the “System locale (Language for non-Unicode programs)” to the English locale of your preference.
    The system will need to reboot. Click Restart.

That was it. After your computer restarts and since all the text files are now saved in Unicode, they can be read with any System locale.

Important Note:
    If you want to change either the backup location or the folders where the ANSI text files reside (e.g. search all C:\), open the script “ConvertFilesToUnicode.ps1” and as shown in the red box, in the image below, go to the section where we define the locations and change them according to your needs (e.g. $SourceDirectory = ‘C:\Personal\My Files’). Don’t forget to enclose the folder in quotes (e.g. ‘C:\Backup\My ASCII files’).

Problem with non standard character in user folder name [​IMG]

For Advanced Users
    Microsoft Notepad, saves all Unicode files with BOM (Byte Order Mark). In case you don’t want to use BOM in your Unicode text files, use the “ConvertFilesToUnicode_NoBOM.ps1”. It will do exactly what the “ConvertFilesToUnicode.ps1” does, but instead it will save the text file in any Unicode encoding without the BOM.

Additionally, to change the Unicode encoding, to another format, in the convert section of the script change the Unicode in the “set-content $_.FullName -Encoding Unicode” part to any other of the available values:

‘ASCII’: Uses the encoding for the ASCII (7-bit) character set.
    ‘BigEndianUnicode’: Encodes in UTF-16 format using the big-endian byte order.
    ‘BigEndianUTF32’: Encodes in UTF-32 format using the big-endian byte order.
    ‘Default’: Encodes using the default value: ASCII.
    ‘Byte’: Encodes a set of characters into a sequence of bytes.
    ‘String’: Uses the encoding type for a string.
    ‘Unicode’: Encodes in UTF-16 format using the little-endian byte order.
    ‘UTF7:’ Encodes in UTF-7 format.
    ‘UTF8’: Encodes in UTF-8 format.

Credits:
    The function Get-FileEncoding, 03-Feb-2015, by VertigoRay - Adjusted to use .NET's [System.Text.Encoding Class] (Encoding Class (System.Text))

ddelo, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Problem with non standard character in user folder name

1. Problem with non standard character in user folder name - Similar Threads - Problem non standard

2. Name problem in the Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Name problem in the Users folder: HelloI have Windows 11 and I have synced Windows with my Outlook account, the problem is that my name is not displayed correctly in the Users folder.I wanted to know how to change the name in the Users folder I found ways and methods, but none of them are official and have...
  3. Name problem in the Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Name problem in the Users folder: HelloI have Windows 11 and I have synced Windows with my Outlook account, the problem is that my name is not displayed correctly in the Users folder.I wanted to know how to change the name in the Users folder I found ways and methods, but none of them are official and have...
  4. User folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User folder name: I set up my new pc and it's showing as C:\Users\User. I've noticed from reading and watching online people they have their name or a user account name ie C:Users\Tim. I'm the only person using my pc, should I set myself up as a new User, or should I just change the folder...
  5. User's folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User's folder name: Hi,I am using Windows 11. My username is different from that of the folder in C, Users. When I installed Windows, I filled out a kind of interactive form and connected to Windows with my Microsoft account. Fortunately, I managed to turn it into a local account from the...
  6. Problem about changing the name of the Users folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem about changing the name of the Users folder: The name of my Users folder is the first 5 letters of the email I used to create my Microsoft account. This is obviously very annoying and I absolutely hate it. I searched around and I found that you can't directly rename it, but you have to create a new local account with...
  7. Non unicode Greek charactes problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Non unicode Greek charactes problem: Hello, I tried a lot to install a greek engineering software, but i have a serious problem with my non unicode characters. I own a razer blade 14" 2017 bought from america if that make any sense. I made without changing something those steps: - Control...
  8. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. User folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...
  10. User folder name...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder name...: I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is...