Windows 10: Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files

Discus and support Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 and have done all the updates per schedule. I accessed an Excel file on June 7th, turned the computer off as we were gone for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CherylVieira, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files

I am running Windows 10 and have done all the updates per schedule. I accessed an Excel file on June 7th, turned the computer off as we were gone for 2 days and now when I got back on June 9th, I get an error message on all document files and downloaded files - "Windows cannot find ....name of file. Make sure you typed in the name correctly etc.". I cannot access any document files from a Flash Drive either. I have rebooted my computer, uninstalled KB4560960 update but am unable to do that to KB4560959 or KB4556799 and restarted Windows Explorer from Task Manager. I am running Avast Free Antivirus plus Avast Cleanup Premium. Strange thing is that I can access my picture files which is a good thing as I am in the middle of a huge digitalization project form photo albums. Unfortunately when I had my computer upgraded a few months back, the guy did not reset up my Restore points so I don't have that option either. Any help is much appreciated as I NEED access to these files now! Thank you.

:)

CherylVieira, Jun 10, 2020

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Jun 10, 2020
  3. "open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jun 10, 2020
  4. Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files

1. Problem with opening any documents or downloaded files - Similar Threads - Problem opening documents

2. can't open recovered C drive files but can't open any of the documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can't open recovered C drive files but can't open any of the documents: I accidentally deleted a file word document from a flash drive E:, I attempted to restore/recover the file by Googling a how to using CMD, this created 12 Local Disk C: recovery file which has several PDF files titled by random numbers that I cannot open_any advice? assuming...
  3. URGENT HELP NEEDED: File Explorer not opening any documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    URGENT HELP NEEDED: File Explorer not opening any documents: Hey, I recently installed all the possible updates. But now every time I try to open a document via file explorer the hourglass icon pops up and nothing happens. Not sure if the problem is with the file explorer or not. I tried ending the file explorer in Task Manager and...
  4. Problem with Opening Downloaded Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Opening Downloaded Files: I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad that's about seven years old. I recently updated it to Windows 10. When I try to run a downloaded file, it won't open. Can anyone help me?...
  5. files not opening in documents

files not opening in documents: None of my docs XLS etc files are connected tot he app and I cannot open them - what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-not-opening-in-documents/2fa36e32-22d9-40d8-a6d8-f86294dbe757
  6. Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders: Since the past two days, after having downloaded a few documents, I am unable to open them. When I right click to open, it just gets stuck and I have to close it. I have tried moving the folder onto my desktop but once I open that and try to open a document inside, it just...
  7. WINDOWS IS REMOVING ANY DOCUMENT OR FILE I DOWNLOAD

WINDOWS IS REMOVING ANY DOCUMENT OR FILE I DOWNLOAD: How do I turn of virus protection in windows. It is deleting every file I try to download https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-is-removing-any-document-or-file-i/1018bcc4-bdfa-4747-9891-8a9e82958acd
  8. Problem opening downloaded files

Problem opening downloaded files: Cannot open or save any downloaded file or email attachment. Files seem to download OK but when I click open or save I get an error message that says a virus has been detected and file is deleted....
  9. Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file: Greetings tenforums I've recently updated to windows 10 and I'm encountering a problem with downloaded word documents opening in Wordpad instead of Microsoft word. A few details: The documents in the site in downloading from has always used microsoft word documents,...
  10. Problem Opening a Downloaded File in OneNote

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problem Opening a Downloaded File in OneNote: Hello all, did some searching for this here and online and came to some solutions close to what I am experiencing, but not on target and would appreciate some help. I have downloaded a OneNote file that I would like to open and am having trouble with it. Every time I try I...