Windows 10: Problem with PDF thumbnails

Discus and support Problem with PDF thumbnails in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I have new laptop (Win 10 Home). The previews/thumbnails of pdf files, however, are only black squares/tiles. And even if I manage to get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Irriducibile, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Problem with PDF thumbnails

Hello
    I have new laptop (Win 10 Home). The previews/thumbnails of pdf files, however, are only black squares/tiles. And even if I manage to get a preview, the pdf is shown in such an ugly white square.

Problem with PDF thumbnails pdf.jpg

The problem is completely random, it can switch from black to preview when I activate hidden folders, or vice versa.
    I am using the newest Acrobat Reader
    Ive got also other devices with Win 10, but nowhere this problem.
    Any solutions?
    Thank you

:)

Irriducibile, Jun 20, 2020
  2. banditrvp Win User

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them.

• In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.
    • On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab, “Enable PDF thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer” is checked.
    • Adobe Acrobat is set as my default PDF viewer.
    • I have used Disk Cleanup to delete all my thumbnails to clear and rebuild the cache, yet the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on how I can see all the pdf icons as thumbnails?
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.657
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.006.20034)

I asked over in the Adobe Acrobat Reader forum a few days ago but have received no replies.

Problem with PDF thumbnails [​IMG]

Ron

banditrvp, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

Hi Michelle, my name is Martin and I'm an Independent Advisor. I'll try to help you here.

Preview and Thumbnails of PDF files can be disabled on your PC . . .

I suggest that you follow steps below to enable this feature

Start Adobe Reader

Tap on Edit in the menu bar and select Preferences

Under Categories highlight General

Put the checkmark next to the box Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

I also recommend the article - Enable thumbnail of PDFs in Windows Explorer to get further information

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-pd...

Martin Jenkinss, Jun 20, 2020
  4. idgat Win User

Problem with PDF thumbnails

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

Uncheck this and see what happens.

BTW, which are you looking for, generic Adobe icon or thumbnail ... or just curious why the difference?

idgat, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

Problem with PDF thumbnails

1. Problem with PDF thumbnails - Similar Threads - Problem PDF thumbnails

2. PDF thumbnail view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF thumbnail view: Is there a thumbnail view for PDFs? PDF docs in folders are displayed as icons. It would be very helpful if I could view them as images. I have Acrobat DC, and the whole creative suite....
  3. PDF thumbnail view

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF thumbnail view: Is there a thumbnail view for PDFs? PDF docs in folders are displayed as icons. It would be very helpful if I could view them as images. I have Acrobat DC, and the whole creative suite....
  4. Thumbnails for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails for .pdf files: On Windows 10, latest updates installed, how can I show thumbnails of .pdf file in Explorer instead of the generic pdf icon, as it happens with .jpg files?Regardsmarius...
  5. Pdf and Word thumbnail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pdf and Word thumbnail: I can only see very few thumbnails of my document roughly about 20% of word and pdf. I have tried various common methods to show my thumbnail yet nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-and-word-thumbnail/3f213019-ad51-4cfd-8429-de7d50ae5b4d
  6. PDF thumbnails broken in windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF thumbnails broken in windows: Its never worked great but pdf thumbnails in explorer seems pretty broke in windows 10. I dont know if its the latest CU update or a recent update to Adobe reader (both have occurred last few days) but now just get generic Adobe icons for pdf. the old trick to open Adobe...
  7. PDF thumbnails disappeared in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF thumbnails disappeared in Windows Explorer: Hello Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎28-‎May-‎20OS build 19042.746 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 PDF APP: Nitro Pro, Sumatra, Foxit After the Windows update of mid Jan 21 and the update to Nitro 13.33 Pro the thumbnails of PDF...
  8. Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available: I installed Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit and Adobe Acrobat X Pro but I cannot see preview and thumbnails of pdf files. I just find the Icon for Adobe Acrobat on each pdf....
  9. Crash While Creating pdf Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Crash While Creating pdf Thumbnails: I have had several instances of an error where Acrobat crashes while creating PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer. It usually occurs when there are a lot of thumbnails to create. All thumbnails on the system will disappear and need to be recreated. Event Viewer reports the...
  10. PDF thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF thumbnails: I’d like to learn how the file explorer preview pane display thumbnails of PDF documents. I need it to capture and then save the thumbnail of the first page of PDFs to a photo format (e.g., jpg, png, tiff, etc)....