Windows 10: Problem with permissions

Discus and support Problem with permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am often told that I need permission to perform a certain action.. usually when I continue, the action is performed. But I want to stop these notices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by martinlest, Oct 2, 2018.

1. martinlest Win User

Problem with permissions

I am often told that I need permission to perform a certain action.. usually when I continue, the action is performed. But I want to stop these notices coming up altogether. It's a pity that when Windows is installed there's no option to tell the programme that you are the owner and that bringing up a window saying you need to get permission to do whatever is as silly as it is irritating.

I have tried setting permissions for a number of folders in the C:\Program Files directory (to rename them temporarily) but when I get to the permissions page for the folder in question, I can't change to full permission as the boxes are greyed out. My user account is set as administrator..

None of the pages I have arrived at by Googling show the eventuality of these boxes not being 'tickable'... How do I set things, for the Windows folder say, so that I can rename, edit, move folders or files etc. without being told I need permission? (I am not a Windows beginner by the way and can be trusted to make changes in these folders!).

(My UAC is already set to 'off').

Thanks.

:)

martinlest, Oct 2, 2018
  2. Bennet Martin Win User

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 2, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 2, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

Problem with permissions

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Bree, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

Problem with permissions

1. Problem with permissions - Similar Threads - Problem permissions

2. I'm having Windows 10 Defender and permission problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'm having Windows 10 Defender and permission problems: Ok so let me explain the full story. I for the first time in like 8 years of using a Windows PC got a real virus on my PC. It was really dumb from me but it did happen. It was a multitude of them (browser pop-ups, svchosts.exe virus, TrustedInstaller, still don't know if I...
  3. I'm having Windows 10 Defender and permission problems

in Windows 10 Support
    I'm having Windows 10 Defender and permission problems: Ok so let me explain the full story. I for the first time in like 8 years of using a Windows PC got a real virus on my PC. It was really dumb from me but it did happen. It was a multitude of them (browser pop-ups, svchosts.exe virus, TrustedInstaller, still don't know if I...
  4. Problem with permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Problem with permissions: I am often told that I need permission to perform a certain action (such as deleting afolder from the desktop or renaming something): usually when I continue, the action is performed. But I want to stop these notices coming up altogether. It's a pity that when Windows is...
  5. Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem?

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs can't write to Documents folder - Permissions problem?: I can't put my finger on what triggered this, but I get an error message whenever a recently installed program tries to write to my Documents folder or Desktop folder (built-in Windows programs and other programs that I installed many months ago do not have this problem)....
  6. Network access permission problem w/ Windows 10 build 1803

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network access permission problem w/ Windows 10 build 1803: Two identical computers on an ethernet network, both running Windows 10 Pro 64b build 1803. Each can see the other on the network. Computer 2 can access shared directories on computer 1, but no.1 is denied access to no.2 with the familiar "you don't have permission..."...
  7. Permission problems with DB on NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission problems with DB on NAS: I have a simple home network. I have an Access DB stored on a NAS where I need to set "Full Control" permissions to ALL computers on the LAN. Or, at least two specific computers. (Actually there are only two desktops and a wireless laptop.) How so I do that? Do the two...
  8. "You'll need to provide admin permission to..." - Problem/Need Help

"You'll need to provide admin permission to..." - Problem/Need Help: I took out a drive from from an old machine (circa 2007-2009). Machine died but the drive is fine. I plugged the drive into a BlacX USB drive docking station, and trying to copy/move files from this drive to my NAS. I'm getting "You'll need to provide administrator...
  9. Only Mindbody is problem for security or permission issues.

Only Mindbody is problem for security or permission issues.: I use Mindbody for my business. Computer need permission to go Mindbody? It's not working since yesterday. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/only-mindbody-is-problem-for-security-or/721caec0-7dae-48a8-8dc4-a608756e2268"
  10. Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission problems after migrating desktop in Win 10 Pro x64: Hi there, So I thought it would be smart to keep my M.2 ssd system drive fairly clear and so migrated the location of desktop, documents, downloads etc to my D: drive. However a weird thing happens. All Microsoft progs, Office and windows native apps like notepad etc...