Windows 10: Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive

Discus and support Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This is also posted on Windows Seven Forums. The question is whether or not at this point I would be better off trying to restore data to a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by andrew124C41, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive

This is also posted on Windows Seven Forums. The question is whether or not at this point I would be better off trying to restore data to a fresh install of Windows 10. Please read description below of what happened
    64 bit OS Windows 7
    ASUS MBAMD Processor
    16 Gig of RAM1 SSD C: With Win 7 OSI made a new PCs for my wife in 2014 moving the users folder to a hard drive E: This worked fine for years. I had been using either Acronis or now Macrium Reflect to backup the OS and Data drives separately. I had no problem restoring the OS or Data when there were problems. But recently, I violated the keep it simple principle!I now realize, quite foolishly, wanted to make a RAID 1 windows 7 software mirror and added a second HD. I created the mirror from Disk Management.The mirror initially worked but then I got a failed redundancy error. There was nothing wrong with the physical drive.I backed up the data drive using the free version of Macrium Reflect.I broke the mirror and now I am unable to logon getting the profile service problem. Somehow, the profile must be corrupted. I can boot to Windows but cannot log on. I have two full backups one prior to the mirror failure and one after.I now understand that Macrium does not backup the Dynamic state of the disk. I have tried restoring the data to either a basic disk or a dynamic disk created using diskpart but nothing seems to be working. I am wondering if I should try a fresh install of Windows 10

Should changing to Windows 10 be a better solution, what is the best way to do it?

Should I restore the data to a basic disk and assign and drive letter to it, that the fresh install will automatically find the data drive......or, do I have to write a script as I did for Windows 7 moving the users folder?

Please, any help would be appreciated. Any help would really be appreciated. I have no idea what to do at this point.

:)

andrew124C41, Feb 1, 2020

2. Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive

This is also posted on Windows Seven Forums. The question is whether or not at this point I would be better off trying to restore data to a fresh install of Windows 10. Please read description below of what happened
    64 bit OS Windows 7
    ASUS MBAMD Processor
    16 Gig of RAM1 SSD C: With Win 7 OSI made a new PCs for my wife in 2014 moving the users folder to a hard drive E: This worked fine for years. I had been using either Acronis or now Macrium Reflect to backup the OS and Data drives separately. I had no problem restoring the OS or Data when there were problems. But recently, I violated the keep it simple principle!I now realize, quite foolishly, wanted to make a RAID 1 windows 7 software mirror and added a second HD. I created the mirror from Disk Management.The mirror initially worked but then I got a failed redundancy error. There was nothing wrong with the physical drive.I backed up the data drive using the free version of Macrium Reflect.I broke the mirror and now I am unable to logon getting the profile service problem. Somehow, the profile must be corrupted. I can boot to Windows but cannot log on. I have two full backups one prior to the mirror failure and one after.I now understand that Macrium does not backup the Dynamic state of the disk. I have tried restoring the data to either a basic disk or a dynamic disk created using diskpart but nothing seems to be working. I am wondering if I should try a fresh install of Windows 10

Should changing to Windows 10 be a better solution, what is the best way to do it?

Should I restore the data to a basic disk and assign and drive letter to it, that the fresh install will automatically find the data drive......or, do I have to write a script as I did for Windows 7 moving the users folder?

Please, any help would be appreciated. Any help would really be appreciated. I have no idea what to do at this point.

andrew124C41, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Jonas Flo Win User
    how to convert Dynamic disk to Basic disk without data loss ?

Hi,

The process of conversion is quite tricky but not exactly that complicated. Suggested safe is to have your data cloned and work on the clone instead of the original. This suggestions and steps were provided by one of the Microsoft Community Forum MVP's,
    John John__ in his response on this thread. Follow the steps carefully
    to be able to avoid data loss.

I hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive

Op[tions for a failed dynamic disk

One of my raid 1 drives failed and I removed it. the remining drive is functioning well (have 3 TB of data used; OS is on a separated drive; all data are backed up in multiple splaces).

1. Is there any disadvantage to leaving the dynamic disk as is even though there is no corresponding mirrored drive?
    2. Can i replace my failed raid drive and establish it as a dynamic drive to work with the other dynamic one without having to remove the partitions on the still functional dynamic drive and start again?
    3. if i have to "start from scratch" would it be more effective to set up Windows 10 storage drives instead of RAID1?

Dr. ArtieKopelman, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive

1. Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive - Similar Threads - Problem Restore Dynamic

2. Unallocated on Dynamic disk !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unallocated on Dynamic disk !: Hey everyone , I have a laptop with a Windows 10 installed on an SSD [:C] and I've extra SSD slot with another 1 TB SSD [:E] installed into it . I've recently installed dual boot Ubuntu on on my [:E] disk by first unallocating 500 GB for the installation , after...
  3. Boot drive and Data Drive

Boot drive and Data Drive: So recently I've reinstalled windows 10 onto my new SSD and leaving my old HDD as a data drive. My problem is when I try to download and install new programs such as valorant or obs it goes to my SSD instead of the HDD. I've tried changing the directory path when installing...
  4. Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data

Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data: Hi, how do i convert dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data? I know you can do it via disk management, but for me its greyed out. I have 4tb one and i think why its greyed out is bc it will try to convert it to basic mbr disk (which supports only up to 2tb)...
  5. Problems with restored data

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with restored data: hey everyone , i recently Accidentally deleted my user folder by mistake, i tried to restore my files with shadow explorer but when i try to open JPEG file, i get this error: "we can't open this file" , or an distorted image can someone explain me what to do that the files...
  6. Invalid Dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Invalid Dynamic disk: I have connected my old laptops hard disk to a new one and it is not accessible. In device management the hard disk shows "Dynamic" and "Invalid". so what should I do ?...
  7. Disk Management and Dynamic Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management and Dynamic Disk: Hi, I'm a windows 10 user. While I was partitioning my disk using disk management tool, I've seen that I have created three F: drives. Is there any way to combine all three drives together?[ATTACH]...
  8. Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss ?

Is there a way to convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss ?: I have dynamic disk about 2.7TB (GPT), i need to convert it to the basic without data loss. Is there any program that can do that ? I tried couple nothing worked. Paid of free doesn't matter. 149391
  9. Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?

Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?: I have a 1TB ssd and a 500gb ssd. I want to span both to make a 1.5TB partition. Will this work if the 1TB drive is my boot drive with Windows 10 on it? submitted by /u/Mike0057 [link] [comments]...
  10. Disk Dynamic Invalid back to Basic with data loss help

Disk Dynamic Invalid back to Basic with data loss help: Hi, Not sute what happend but just noticed that one of my 1TB disks cannot be seen in Win10 1709 Exp. It shows as Dynamic Invalid. I have to parts that I nhave much data in. Is is full of audio files and the other of dp\ocs and p0ds etc. I have used cgisecurity...