Windows 10: Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar

Discus and support Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I am having a weird problem. Sometimes when I right click on the file explorer icon in the taskbar nothing happens when other times I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sixstring396, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar

Hello. I am having a weird problem. Sometimes when I right click on the file explorer icon in the taskbar nothing happens when other times I get the usual quick menu. It seems to be about a 75/25 split. I haven't changed anything and it only happens with file explorer. Other icons seem to work fine. I am using an ASUS laptop with Windows 10.

Thanks

:)

sixstring396, Jun 7, 2020

2. mouse right click will not open my file explorer in taskbar

Hello Carl,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What happens when you left clicking?
    • When you say right click, do you actually mean left click?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve this issue?

Left clicking with mouse will open File explorer or any other programs. Whereas right click will give you context menu.

I suggest you to right-click on the File Explorer
    on the task bar and select Unpin from Taskbar. Now in the search bar type
    File Explorer and right click on it and select Pin it to Taskbar
    and check if it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Simca Win User
    Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any

Registered to say I have the same problem and to give as much detail as possible.

In case anyone has a problem understanding the OP's description of the issue, it's fairly simple:
    1. Right-click on File Explorer icon on Taskbar.
    2. Left-click any location under 'Pinned' or 'Recent'.
    3. The menu closes as it should, but no Explorer window opens at all.

Notes:
    • The only option under the File Explorer taskbar icon that works is the option called 'File Explorer', which just brings you to Quick Access.
    • Instead of left-clicking on a location under 'Pinned' or 'Recent', you can also right-click and select 'Open'. However, this ALSO does not work.
    • All functionality besides opening Explorer windows works, including right-clicking a location and selecting 'Properties'. (Given that the whole point is to open Explorer windows though, this seriously damages the usefulness of it.)
    • Unpinning File Explorer from the Taskbar and then repinning it does not help.
    • I've even tried unpinning File Explorer from the Taskbar, deleting it from C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Taskbar\, restarting the computer, and pinning a new window. The problem persists.
    • ALL other taskbar icons' menus work fine, including ones that did not work properly for me on Windows 8.1 (Skype's menu options wouldn't work for me on 8.1 and they work fine on 10).

Simca, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar

1. Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar - Similar Threads - Problem right clicking

2. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  3. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  4. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right click on the folder in File Explorer: Right click on any folder on right screen or large icon or horizontal lists is fine.But every time I right click on any folder on the left screen or small icon or vertical lists , the file explorer crashes and closes.This problem occurred last a or two week ago.Any idea?...
  5. PROBLEM: Right Click And File Explorer Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROBLEM: Right Click And File Explorer Not Working: Ok, Let's Go Straight To The Point: Everytime I Press Right Click In The Desktop, I'm Greeted With An Spinning Circle, If I Do Nothing It Just Stay There, Spinning, If I Do Something It Blacks Out And Appears Again, And About File Explorer, If I Open Any Folder It Just Gives...
  6. Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer

Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer: I'm having major issues with right clicking things on the desktop and with right clicking in file explorer. When I right click on both the desktop and in file explorer, I get the blue spinning circle and it never returns back to normal. The right clicking on desktop started...
  7. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  8. Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar: I'm not sure what caused this problem but it seemed to appear somewhat suddenly a few weeks back or so. Whenever I right-click a file explorer window (i.e. This PC, Downloads etc.) on the taskbar, I no longer get the option to Close window. The only things that appear when...
  9. Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any: The Problem. Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Documents , Desktop or Anything on the drop down list Not Opening with any Double Click or Right Click > Open Click . . .On 1 of my PC's (main One) , Works OK on the Others. I believe they are all setup the same....
  10. File Explorer - Right click and crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Right click and crashing: Hello Please see my You Tube Demo video - when I right click on a file within File Explorer on Windows 10 it crashes; here is a video demo of the crash - as you can see the Bar down the bottom is disappearing Please can anyone suggest a fix. demo - YouTube 82170