Windows 10: Problem with screenshots on Win 10 Pro

Discus and support Problem with screenshots on Win 10 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I've been using Windows 10 Pro (version 1607) for over a month and for some reason after a recent update I am NOT able to take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Win10Pro Win User

Problem with screenshots on Win 10 Pro

Hello everybody,

I've been using Windows 10 Pro (version 1607) for over a month and for some reason after a recent update I am NOT able to take screenshots of the active window using Alt + PrintScreen key combination (like before the update), instead I have to use Win + PrintScreen.
    The problem is that now I get a screenshot of the whole screen (taskbar included) which is driving me nuts.
    Any registry trick or a different key combination would be greatly appreciated as I'm not too keen on using third-party apps.

Cheers,
    Stefan

:)

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 Problem

After I updated Windows 10 today as I was instructed, I can no longer get on the internet. My wifi no longer shows up to click on it. It was working fine until I allowed the install. I have tried restarting the HP Spectre x 369 laptop and the router,
    but this has not helped. (I am using a borrowed Apple computer to search for a solution.) I need help to get back online. Can anyone help or tell me who I might contact for help?

Problem with 10, Dec 7, 2016
  3. Reloading - retrieving my installed WIN 10 PRO

Andre,

Thank you for the reply. Just to be sure I understand your procedure.

I successfully performed an upgrade from WIN 7PRO to Win 10 PRO last July during the "Free" upgrade period. Something has happened to the WIN 10 install -- it will not boot.

I have a complete disk image backup of the WIN 7 just previous to the WIN 10 upgrade that I can install on the computer. Then I want to do a second upgrade to WIN 10.

I assume that in your second screenshot above, clicking " UPGRADE THIS PC NOW" starts the upgrade from the currently installed WIN 7PRO to the new WIN 10 PRO. The same assumption applies to the last screenshot where the " I'm reinstalling WIN 10 on
    this PC " is inside the red box.

The end results I expect: The second upgrade will perform the same as the first upgrade; WIN 10 PRO will be the operating system and all of the programs, data files drivers, etc from the previous WIN 7 PRO will be available for use. I DO NOT want to do
    a "clean install"

Please confirm that following your procedure will produce a "upgrade from WIN 7 PRO to WIN 10 PRO" ( and NOT a clean install).

Thanks again for your support.

krazykat9999, Dec 7, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Why not use the Windows App Snipping tool under Windows Accessories? It comes with Windows.

spunk, Dec 7, 2016
  5. pepanee Win User
    There's two Alt buttons on your keyboard; try the other Alt button. Let's make sure it's not the Alt key that broke on you.

pepanee, Dec 7, 2016
  6. Win10Pro Win User
    A good idea but the Snipping Tools doesn't automatically copy a screenshot into "C:\Users\(user's name)\Pictures\Screenshots" folder. I usually take some 100 - 150 screenshots on a daily basis so it would take too many clicks.

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016
  7. Win10Pro Win User
    Thank you for your suggestion: I've just plugged in a separate keyboard to my desktop but it still doesn't work so the Alt key is not broken. I also tried the other Alt button but to no avail.

By the way: can you (or anybody else who is reading this post) take a screenshot by pressing Alt + PrintScreen on Win 10 Pro version 1607 (if the numbers matter at all, it should work fine on ANY Windows) to confirm that something's wrong with my system?

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016
  8. pepanee Win User

Alt + Print Screen:

Problem with screenshots on Win 10 Pro [​IMG]

Yes, sadly, your computer has some issue =/

pepanee, Dec 7, 2016
  9. Win10Pro Win User
    Bad news *Sad
    Thank you very much.

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016
  10. pepanee Win User
    Hey, question:

Does pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete work?

pepanee, Dec 7, 2016
  11. Win10Pro Win User
    Yes, it does and it takes me to the usual bluish screen with Change password, Logout, Task Manager etc options.

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016
  12. pepanee Win User
    Hmh, I see. (I wanted to see if that screen you just said shows up or not.. if it didn't work, that would definately mean that there's some software that's causing the Alt button not to work)

But yea, that's a little strange how Alt + Print Screen is procrastinating on you. Try to think back and see if you installed any new programs that run in the background of your computer (by checking in the Task Manager).

There is a possibility that there's a program that's running in the background that could be forcing this combination to not work.

Go to your Task Manager:
    Ctrl + Alt + Delete > Task Manager
    Press the Details tab

Try to End Task the programs that you see as familiar, that you have installed (don't worry, ending their task just forces them to close during this session of your computer running, after you restart the computer, everything loads up again, I'm sure you already know that).

But that is my best guess. I am assuming that you may have installed something very close to the 1607 update that is making you think that the 1607 update caused this... but HEY,I could be wrong! But I would try my suggestion anyways. Good luck bro, I hope that some app is that you can find is causing the issue.

I talk too much

pepanee, Dec 7, 2016
  13. Win10Pro Win User

Excellent idea, thank you so much!
    Actually last week I couldn’t connect my handset to my PC so I installed a ton of „miraculous” apps that didn’t work only to discover later on that I'd forgotten to install Samsung drivers in the first place *Redface

I’m going to uninstall them, one by one, to see if they interfere in any way with my Windows shortcuts.
    I’ll let you know after work (it’s 8.40 AM here in Poland).

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016
  14. pepanee Win User
    Okay!
    Have a great day at work =)

pepanee, Dec 7, 2016
  15. Win10Pro Win User
    Thank you!

I was so impatient to find a quick solution that instead of checking your method I typed in „FastStone Capture” (a fantastic, but unfortunately paid, application for taking screen shots) into Google and I found a great freeware tool, called Greenshot which meets my expectations: with a simple left Alt + PrintScreen I get a screenshot of the active (yeah !) window written (unlike Microsoft’s solution) to a predefined folder on a hard drive.

The program offers a myriad of options. I highly recommend it.

Win10Pro, Dec 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Problem with screenshots on Win 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Problem screenshots Pro

2. Problems activating Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating Win 10 Pro: HiI built a machine and installed Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.I have my 25 character activation keyThat machine died, I built a new one.I entered the activation key when I installed Windows but I'm not activated.Version is Windows 10 Pro 22H2.I feel like I've been...
  3. Problems activating Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problems activating Win 10 Pro: HiI built a machine and installed Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.I have my 25 character activation keyThat machine died, I built a new one.I entered the activation key when I installed Windows but I'm not activated.Version is Windows 10 Pro 22H2.I feel like I've been...
  4. Problems activating Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. A problem installing win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A problem installing win 10 pro: I am having a Win 10 Pro 64 bit install problem in a Toshiba Satellite model L455-S5000 laptop. I pulled out the 250gb SATA HD (loaded with Win 10 home) out of the Toshiba and installed a 500GB SATA HD. The 500GB HD has been wiped clean. The Win 10 Pro install starts ok and...
  6. Screenshot problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screenshot problem: Good morning, I am trying to take screenshot using windows+prtSc,but no screenshot is captured. It was working earlier. Please suggest. Regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screenshot-problem/c9dc8820-b837-497b-8546-ca4c086da569
  7. A problem with win 10 Pro desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    A problem with win 10 Pro desktop: This is on a Gateway laptop model NV570P-18U, OS Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I am on my Sony backup laptop because I clicked on something in the in the notifications box on the right side of task bar to the right of the clock that has screwed up the Gateways desktop so bad that I...
  8. screenshotting problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    screenshotting problem: Whenever i screenshot, the screenshot is always much brighter than the actual picture. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screenshotting-problem/52ea9c54-3b9b-4cc8-9569-4e3befecc639
  9. Win 10 PRO activation problem

Win 10 PRO activation problem: I have a digital license for win 10 home. I accidently upgraded to PRO during all the Microsoft free win 10 upgrades. I thought I was "updating". Now I can't activate PRO. Is there anything I can do? Can I download win 10 Home someplace? Thanks, Ed...
  10. Win 10 Pro activation problem

Win 10 Pro activation problem: My laptop was affected recently when a number of Win 10 Pro users started seeing a watermark telling them that their OS needed to be activated. After I discovered that the warning on my screen resulted from a Microsoft mistake, I figured Microsoft would fix it, but it’s been...