Windows 10: Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all

Discus and support Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I was trying to manually scan an .exe file yesterday and couldn't find the Windows Defender scan-option when right clicking.. this prompted me to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohnWing3, Oct 2, 2020.

1. JohnWing3 Win User

Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all

Hi. I was trying to manually scan an .exe file yesterday and couldn't find the Windows Defender scan-option when right clicking.. this prompted me to go into Windows Security and here I found out Real-time protection to be turned off and grayed out. Things did not behave normally there at all. Most of the features do not work at all. The Security at a Glance page is just blank.

Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all 0c51a801-bb0b-4e21-886f-f9eabe8a08b0?upload=true.png

I sat with this issue all day long yesterday, did several scans with 3rd party Antivirus I did not have any installed prior to this and only got what I believe to be a few false positives.

Did a full scan today with MS Safety Scanner and got the following results:

Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all 8fab4611-4893-439e-8c84-8ad48598d5d0?upload=true.jpg

and the fix got me this:

Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all 67d7433c-d208-48f6-a98b-035a36a6144d?upload=true.jpg

I've also tried messing around with the registry, and in Services I can't run the Microsoft Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service:

Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all aba53ff1-8ba0-4408-ac81-9745d950a1cc?upload=true.jpg

I've also tried to reset the App itself and tried to create a new Admin profile.

Nothing works.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

:)

JohnWing3, Oct 2, 2020

2. Windows Defender Not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Oct 2, 2020
  3. Hydrate Win User
    Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

None of your screenshots work. I suggest uploading them to tinypic.com or imgur.com and then posting a direct link within your post please.

Screenshots would be helpful.

Hydrate, Oct 2, 2020
  4. SteV1der Win User

Windows Defender Security Center removes working HP Photosmart driver

I was going to do so (perform a roll back), but after thinking about it...are we sure it's a necessary step here? I didn't have Windows Defender Security Center operating on this system (or if it was, it wasn't showing up in the tray and it wasn't giving
    an error message) until this last Windows update.

Are we sure that this is a necessary step? If all it does is remove the Security Center from the tray or remove that feature, then I'm not sure anything has been discovered.

This is Norton Security 22.9.3.13, in case that helps and as you suggest, Windows Defender Security Center is still showing "Actions recommended" in the tray at the bottom right.

SteV1der, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem with Security Settings not sure Windows Defender is working at all - Similar Threads - Problem Security Settings

2. security defender problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    security defender problem: There are many problems and the are listed as- 1. when i turn on my computer i get a message at startup that execution cannot be done execution script host denied. 2. windows security is not being turned on rather than that it is showing error 1035. 3. gpedit is not being...
  3. security defender problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security defender problem: There are many problems and the are listed as- 1. when i turn on my computer i get a message at startup that execution cannot be done execution script host denied. 2. windows security is not being turned on rather than that it is showing error 1035. 3. gpedit is not being...
  4. security defender problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Defender and all security related stuff does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender and all security related stuff does not work: My PC is just part off a botnet or something where all my security is shut off and security stuff cannot be turned on no matter what. And I love these i must contact the ADMIN stuff. Who is the ADMIN to all my personal info and any related security stuff I cant even get my...
  6. Windows Defender and all security related stuff does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Defender and all security related stuff does not work: My PC is just part off a botnet or something where all my security is shut off and security stuff cannot be turned on no matter what. And I love these i must contact the ADMIN stuff. Who is the ADMIN to all my personal info and any related security stuff I cant even get my...
  7. Windows Defender and all security related stuff does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to Make sure Windows Defender is Working?

How to Make sure Windows Defender is Working?: 1-today i removed my third party firewall and anti virus cuz many told me defender and windows firewall are better, do u agree with this? 2-defender is not in the tray so does this mean it's not working real-time? 3-how to make sure defender and firewall are working well?...
  9. Security settings Windows Defender

Security settings Windows Defender: Hello, We have reached out to the Microsoft community regarding all Windows Defender security settings. I want to see and delete any infection I have on my computer. Please give me the steps that need to be taken to have perfect security. I am waiting for an answer from you...
  10. Security settings in Windows Defender

Security settings in Windows Defender: Good morning, Last night I installed Windows 10 Home and I kindly ask you to give me the security settings that need to be made in Windows Defender to have a good security. Thank you! Wait for response! God bless!!! A wonderful day!...