Windows 10: Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

Discus and support Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After resetting my PC I have encountered some problems which do not allow me to install several programs: I am not able to install my Brother... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Arthur_505, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

After resetting my PC I have encountered some problems which do not allow me to install several programs:

• I am not able to install my Brother printers' drivers - installation ends with a message "Failed to decompress the archive". A similar message appears when I tried to install Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables - "the system cannot find the path specified".
    • Similar problem is Zoom app, the installation window with the title "Extracting.." which I managed to see before it disappeared disappears very quickly and I am not able to install the app.
    • Also, when installing Office language packs, the installation ends with a message that "there is no internet connection or not enough disk space".

I somehow managed to install the printers' drivers and the Visual C++ redistributables by moving the .exe files to another disk volume D: not C:, but thatdoes not work with other .exe files like Office/Zoom/other apps.

So, there might be two problems - one with self-extracting archives, and one with installing other apps when the installation just ends with a message that "there is no internet connection or not enough disk space", although every resource - internet and space - is available.

Resetting the PC for the second time also did not help, I have also tried sfc scan, disabling antivirus/firewall, updated drivers and installed latest Windows updates.

:)

Arthur_505, Aug 3, 2020
  2. J377 Win User

install EXE app

It's possible that you have a corrupt self-extracting installer (.exe file). If you downloaded it from the internet you could try to download again.

Self-extracting installers can often be extracted using the open source 7-ZIP ( www.7-zip.org/ )or the shareware program WinRAR . If you're able to extract the installer with one of
    those programs, you should be able to change to the extracted directory and run the .msi installation.

J377, Aug 3, 2020
  3. pyramid10 Win User
    Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Aug 3, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

How can i extract a bios file from an Asus .exe file ??

Well after extracting the exe it contains a bunch of dlls a cfg and few sys files, as far at the main update its a exe within a exe, no rom files, exist. If ya want a rom file for it, you'll have to flash your card and then back it up with gpu-z.

FYI Winrar can extract archived exe files.

thraxed, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

1. Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation - Similar Threads - Problem self extracting

2. problem installing an exe file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem installing an exe file: i had downloaded an old game file, needed to install it, however, the .exe file does not open. computer says "this app cant run in your pc. to find a version for your pc check with your software publisher." how do i solve this?? i tried the troubleshoot, the program doesnt...
  3. problem installing an exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem installing an exe file: i had downloaded an old game file, needed to install it, however, the .exe file does not open. computer says "this app cant run in your pc. to find a version for your pc check with your software publisher." how do i solve this?? i tried the troubleshoot, the program doesnt...
  4. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial...
  5. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial...
  6. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

7. I can't move nor extract .exe files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't move nor extract .exe files: I'm unable to move .exe files from a .zip into other location as they don't get moved. If i do it from the administrator account they get moved without any issue and stay on my other account, i have tried to enable admin privileges on my account but it seems like i did...
  8. Extracting Files and Accessing Programs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Extracting Files and Accessing Programs: I am the only user for my laptop. It was set up that way when I purchased the computer last year. Some way despite the fact that I am the administrator of the computer in the control panel the File Explorer had a user named Administrator and all my content and user privileges...
  9. Program's exe file missing

Program's exe file missing: Hello, So I ran into this issue where a program I downloaded Photofiltre 7 is now missing it's executable. It does even if I uninstall and reinstall the program. The installation shows the exe file being created, but than, the shortcut for the exe is blank, and the exe file...
  10. Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update: I'm trying to open a self extracting file to download a firmware update for a camera. Nothing happens when I click open or run as administrator. This same file worked just fine in November when I downloaded it for another camera. After hitting open 10 times or so I can...