Windows 10: Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files

Discus and support Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi, I would like to set Firefox as the default app to open .pdf files, but when I go to the default apps tab in the settings I can't see it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SupremeOwlTerrorizer, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files

Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files SP1RrxuLWpW4UzOOmeyJS964VAWRNBL1hJmC7B65Juo.jpg

Hi, I would like to set Firefox as the default app to open .pdf files, but when I go to the default apps tab in the settings I can't see it in the options listed and I have no possibility to use the file explorer to manually set it, the only other option beside the apps listed is to look for apps in the Microsoft Store (img below). So, how can I set Firefox as the default app to open .pdf files in another way in Win10?

https://preview.redd.it/9u0bui0khpf...bp&s=4731b101e0751dad855c5d0fb43ab7e125dfc863

submitted by /u/SupremeOwlTerrorizer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SupremeOwlTerrorizer, Feb 8, 2020
  2. Deva Win User

How do I make Firefox my default pdf viewer in Windows 10?

I faced same problem. In Windows 10's default apps section, Firefox is not even listed for PDF file type. The below steps helped me:

1. Right Click on pdf file
    2. Choose "Open With"
    3. "Choose Another App", Check "Always use this app to open .pdf files"
    4. Select firefox (if not listed, open from firefox.exe locatin)
    5. PDF opens with Firefox, from now on

Deva, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Tailwind Win User
    Cant set FireFox as my default browser

Just tried your suggestion.

Step 2 does open the URL in Firefox.

Step 3. unchecked the "check FF default on start up.

Went back to Default apps in the Systems Setting window.

Select FF when offered as one of the default choices

Win10 Settings still does not show that it has set FF as default.

FWIW: I had a similar problem with trying to set Adobe Acrobat as the default for .pdf files. Win10 Settings | System | Default apps would not reset to Adobe Acrobat for .pdf files. The only way I could get the Default settings to be correctly reflected
    in the Settings window was to open Acrobat and force the issue from within Acrobat by making Acrobat the default in the Acrobat preferences window.

This is a Win 10 UI problem at the very least and should be fixed.

Tailwind, Feb 8, 2020
  4. Victek Win User

Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files

Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files

1. Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files - Similar Threads - Problem setting Firefox

2. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  3. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  4. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Set Firefox as default .pdf reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Firefox as default .pdf reader: I used to use Firefox as my default .pdf reader. Somehow, the default app was changed to Evernote. When I went to Default App Settings for .pdf files, Edge of course, Chrome, and Opera were listed as options but not Firefox. How do I add Firefox as an option for my default...
  6. Set Firefox as default .pdf reader

Set Firefox as default .pdf reader: I used to use Firefox as my default .pdf reader. Somehow, the default app was changed to Evernote. When I went to Default App Settings for .pdf files, Edge of course, Chrome, and Opera were listed as options but not Firefox. How do I add Firefox as an option for my default...
  7. an app caused a problem with the default app setting of pdf ... why Microsoft is so pushy...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    an app caused a problem with the default app setting of pdf ... why Microsoft is so pushy...: I get really pissed off every time this happens , I think MIcrosoft team deliberately programmed this to happen in order to promote Microsoft Edge.Once again I have to reassociate pdf to Adobe Acrobat Reader....
  8. an app caused a problem with the default app setting of pdf ... why Microsoft is so pushy...

an app caused a problem with the default app setting of pdf ... why Microsoft is so pushy...: I get really pissed off every time this happens , I think MIcrosoft team deliberately programmed this to happen in order to promote Microsoft Edge.Once again I have to reassociate pdf to Adobe Acrobat Reader....
  9. Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files: Last update of Windows 10 changed all my .pdf default to open with MS Edge. I do not want to use MS Edge, because I open .pdf documents from inside applications and MS Edge is not a full-fledged .pdf editor. With Edge, you cannot add pages, combine pages and and add...
  10. Setting Default App Problem

Setting Default App Problem: I prefer to open pdf files in Acrobat. My computer is determined that I shall not. It will open only in MS Edge. I try to set the Default App by Type to Acrobat, but even if I select it in the drop down table, it refuses to change. How can I PERMANENTLY set my...