Windows 10: Problem with sound and other functions

Discus and support Problem with sound and other functions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The last update to my computer (Inspiron 17 7000 series) took place several days ago. Since then, I am having a problem. When I start my computer, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DeborahD_777, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Problem with sound and other functions

The last update to my computer (Inspiron 17 7000 series) took place several days ago. Since then, I am having a problem. When I start my computer, the sound icon show that the volume is set at a certain level. However, as soon as I touch the keyboard (no matter the key), the volume mutes itself and the volume meter bar appears in the upper left corner of the screen. I am unable to get rid of it. Furthermore, every time I try to unmute my system the volume meter falls immediately back to mute. I have no sound with the Realtek audio or with my headphones. I have tried to change the volume setting in the sound mixer, with the same results. I have update the sound driver, but that has not helped.

Also, I am having difficulty in toggling back and forth between programs that I have open. Generally when I am in one program and want to go to another program I have open, I just click the open program and am immediately taken there. That's not the case anymore.

Any ideas on how to fix these issues?

Thanks, DeborahD_777

:)

DeborahD_777, Jan 19, 2019

2. Sound problem

Hi,

We need to investigate further so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running the Troubleshooter and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Type and select Troubleshooting on the Search bar/Cortana.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Playing Audio under Sound.
    • Follow the steps that will be provided.
    If the steps does not work. We suggest downloading a fresh copy of the audio driver from Realtek and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Jan 19, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Problem with sound and other functions :p

cadaveca, Jan 19, 2019
  4. fireberd Win User

Problem with sound and other functions

Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

Problem with sound and other functions

1. Problem with sound and other functions - Similar Threads - Problem sound functions

2. Time and other functions are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time and other functions are not working: The time works in my PC if I check on the time and date settings. However when I look at the bottom right hand corner it does not move. I noticed it just today but I dont know when the issue started. Also, other buttons like battery and sound is not clickable as well even...
  3. Time and other functions are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time and other functions are not working: The time works in my PC if I check on the time and date settings. However when I look at the bottom right hand corner it does not move. I noticed it just today but I dont know when the issue started. Also, other buttons like battery and sound is not clickable as well even...
  4. Time and other functions are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working

Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working: Hi thereI've had my PC for around 3-4 years and it has worked completely fine in that time. Only recently, for the past 4 months or so I've only been able to use sound through my monitor as trying to plug in headphones or earphones into both my front USB audio and mic jack...
  6. microphone catching sound, not functioning in other apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone catching sound, not functioning in other apps: in settings, i see that the integrated mic i use catches sound as it should, but in every app i want, the sound doesnt register at all. The inputs are correct, mics enabled, reinstalled drivers, still doesnt work, when i try to ."Intel smart sound technology for digital...
  7. microphone catching sound, not functioning in other apps

microphone catching sound, not functioning in other apps: in settings, i see that the integrated mic i use catches sound as it should, but in every app i want, the sound doesnt register at all. The inputs are correct, mics enabled, reinstalled drivers, still doesnt work, when i try to ."Intel smart sound technology for digital...
  8. Microphone for searches and other functions

in Cortana
    Microphone for searches and other functions: Hello, I have just received a new laptop and to much of my disappointment it does not come with google installed. To be honest the only reason I even ever considered using Google rather than Bing Microsoft program was because I was in an accident 12 yrs ago and was left...
  9. No sound with windows 10 media player or any other function on the computer such as...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound with windows 10 media player or any other function on the computer such as...: This problem began during my first attempt to stream a movie from AMC. Other streaming services, I've mostly used Netflix, used to work just fine. Now I can't get sound with anything....
  10. A device attached to the system is not functioning Sound problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A device attached to the system is not functioning Sound problem: I am running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 on an HP PC and when I hover over the speaker icon on the taskbar it says no audio output device is installed. In the Device Manager it shows under Other devices Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with an exclamation...