Windows 10: Problem with SPDIF input thriu USB sound box

Discus and support Problem with SPDIF input thriu USB sound box in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a StarTech 7.1 USB Sound Card - External Sound Card with SPDIF Digital Audio. I want to get the input from the SPDIF connector. I had this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thenin, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Thenin Win User

Problem with SPDIF input thriu USB sound box

I have a StarTech 7.1 USB Sound Card - External Sound Card with SPDIF Digital Audio. I want to get the input from the SPDIF connector. I had this working perfectly a few months ago, but perhaps some windows update or the like screwed things up.

Everything within Windows looks perfect. The default input device is set to SPDIF, Windows sound troubleshooter finds no problem, the Xear software is perfectly correct. I've tried uninstalling everything, including the driver, and re-installing, but that didn't help.

Here are the symptoms: Various sound applications that I try simply show no input. But the amazing Audacity at least reports the following error msg: "Error opening recording device. Error code: ‐9999 Unanticipated host error"

Do any of you have any suggestions on what I should try? Thanks!

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592)

Hardware: ASUS Z97-A/3.1, onboard RealTek display and sound, along with nVidia display and sound

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Significant progress has been made! I looked up the issue on the Audacity site and they emphasized that you need to change your Privacy settings to allow Windows access to your microphone. Once I did that, suddenly I could get audio through the SPDIF input!

Unfortunately, all that's coming in is mono noise and crackling. So my question remains active...

:)

Thenin, Apr 9, 2021
  2. Suman_B Win User

5.1 channel over SPDIF / optical not working since update(?)

Hi,

I understand that 5.1 channel over SPDIF/Optical not working after update.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

Method 1: Update your audio driver

1. Select the Start button and type
        device manager in the search box, then select it from the list of results.
      2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
      3. Right-click (or press and hold) your sound card, then select
        Properties.
      4. Select the Driver
        tab, and then select Update Driver.
      5. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

Method 2: Fix sound problems.

Suggest you to refer the article Fix sound problems
    in Windows 10

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Apr 9, 2021
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    5.1 option missing from SPDIF output

You may need to review your soundcard but I don't think 5.1 is supported via SPDIF.

I would suggest you check the speaker system itself. BTW I wasn't aware you could get 5.1 from the SPDIF out line? Though I'm no longer using the board my Gigabyte Z170 Gaming GT board has pretty much the same soundcard as you and it doesn't list 5 channel for the SPDIF digital out line.

Anyway if you say you were getting 5.1, who am I to argue. Anyway check your speaker system. You might also check the sound settings under Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab. Right click the SPDIF device and hit properties. Click the Advanced tab, and under Default format dropdown box check that 5.1 is selected (if supported). Again, I didn't think 5.1 was supported via the SPDIF out on PC soundcards, but....

Let us know.

sygnus21, Apr 9, 2021
  4. Problem with SPDIF input thriu USB sound box

Problem with SPDIF/IO on Windows 10 with Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio

Deepak, thanks for the detailed response! Actually the troubleshooter solved the issue because it

has a switch that directs all sound activity to the SPDIF digital output. This switch is missing in the system settings.

In the updated drivers for my specific sound card, The SPDIF settings are strangely disabled. Once I checked the 'digital only' check box in the troubleshooter. All the missing sound returned.

It is recommended to consider to add such option in the Windows 10 settings as many users will connect their Windows devices as home cinema media centers.

Spaceweaver_999, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Problem with SPDIF input thriu USB sound box

1. Problem with SPDIF input thriu USB sound box - Similar Threads - Problem SPDIF input

2. No Sound Input

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Sound Input: Hello,I recently updated my laptop to the newest version of windows 10. Since then my sound has not worked. My laptop has built in speakers which until recently worked fine.It tells me there are no speaks or headphones plugged in. I have tried uninstalling drives, updating...
  3. ghosting of text input boxes over adjacent input boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ghosting of text input boxes over adjacent input boxes: I upgraded to Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago and ever since have struggled with ghosting of text from different input boxes displaying over each other, see images attached.This is when using engineering design software called TEDDS by Tekla.When I pass my mouse cursor over...
  4. ghosting of text input boxes over adjacent input boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ghosting of text input boxes over adjacent input boxes: I upgraded to Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago and ever since have struggled with ghosting of text from different input boxes displaying over each other, see images attached.This is when using engineering design software called TEDDS by Tekla.When I pass my mouse cursor over...
  5. Input crosstalk sound problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Input crosstalk sound problem: I have tried almost everythingmy problem: My micinput is picking up all of my soundoutput from youtube and other games. While my mic is muted my input is still picking up ingame crosstalk, but not my voice. I am muted but it is still crossing the outputingame sounds to my...
  6. Input crosstalk sound problem

Input crosstalk sound problem: I have tried almost everythingmy problem: My micinput is picking up all of my soundoutput from youtube and other games. While my mic is muted my input is still picking up ingame crosstalk, but not my voice. I am muted but it is still crossing the outputingame sounds to my...
  7. Unwanted microphone sounds when using USB sound input

Unwanted microphone sounds when using USB sound input: I plugged in a USB turntable but the only input where I get sound is the MICROPHONE input. I changed it's input to 24bit Stereo and clicked LISTEN, so I can now hear the sound. Unfortunately the internal microphone is still on so I'm getting lots of echo. I've turned off...
  8. Sound problem with USB sound devices

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound problem with USB sound devices: Hey guys, I got myself 3 new audio devices Mic: Beyerdynamic Echo Fox USB Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 OHM Soundcard: Fiio E10K Olympus 2 (connects via USB to PC) The Problem: If I'm using the FOX microphone with my 990 pros everything works just fine, but when...
  9. Windows notifications won't sound thru optical SPDIF

Windows notifications won't sound thru optical SPDIF: Hello everybody I am having a weird problem with my PC... I have a pair of studio speakers connected to my motherboard via optical SPDIF, some days ago I noticed that the windows notifications don't sound anymore, but videos, youtubes, spotify... sound normally. It is not...
  10. Sound input

Sound input: after recent windows 10 update, windows mixer input option seems unaccessible , unable to prepare buffers error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/sound-input/24c10886-d78e-498b-abfd-940365476925

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 soundcard spdif input