Windows 10: Problem with Task Running at Logon

Discus and support Problem with Task Running at Logon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I setup a task to run when I logon. However, this task runs at startup. I have it set to run only when a certain user (me) logs in, but it runs at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by W Northrup, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Problem with Task Running at Logon

I setup a task to run when I logon. However, this task runs at startup. I have it set to run only when a certain user (me) logs in, but it runs at startup no matter what. The task uses power shell to mount a .VHDX virtual drive.

:)

W Northrup, Oct 16, 2019
  2. jkh239WTF Win User

List all tasks triggered by logon

After logon there are MANY background update tasks (adobe, AV, MBAM, chrome, etc). I'm trying to determine how to list ALL tasks that are triggered by logon. Thanks in advance.

jkh239WTF, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Window's Task Scheduler Not Running

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Have you tried recreating the task? If so, are you getting the same issue?
    • Have you tried creating a new task?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you ensure that the Task Scheduler is running. You can verify if the service is running by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Services (Local), make sure that the Task Scheduler service's status is
      Started or Enabled.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Problem with Task Running at Logon

Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Problem with Task Running at Logon

1. Problem with Task Running at Logon - Similar Threads - Problem Task Running

2. Logon problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Logon problem: My wife's Lenovo Thinkpad just updated Windows and now demands a log-on password. She had previously set it to no password-what should she do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logon-problem/ab3bc1c5-389b-4241-9ece-a551d1587ec2
  3. Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler - Trigger "At Logon" executes task BEFORE logon!?: Long story short: I ended up using the Task Scheduler to run a batch file when the user logs on, which is after the user entered and confirmed their password. Or so I thought, because it's described like this on every site and every forum. Yet for some reason the task runs...
  4. Logon script runs at startup and not at user logon

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon script runs at startup and not at user logon: I have 3 PCs, and my logon script in my Group Policy (C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon) runs as expected at user logon in all 3 PCs. However, in my fourth PC, the logon script runs at startup prior to a user logging onto this PC. I cannot seem to figure out...
  5. scheduled task restart & logon

in Windows 10 Support
    scheduled task restart & logon: It is often the case that when I come to work in the morning and wake-up my desktop, automated programs get triggered and really slow down my computer and I can’t really do efficient work for a while, sometimes an hour or so. These include full disc scans mandated by the...
  6. Window 10 with WSL Task Scheduler task run at Startup/Logon running a PowerShell script...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 with WSL Task Scheduler task run at Startup/Logon running a PowerShell script...: Here is the content of PowerShell script I am trying to run via a startup or log on task created via Task Scheduler in Windows 10. #power shell file saved as autostartsshd.ps1 bash -c 'sudo service ssh start' This runs fine when run with powershell. But running from...
  7. Scheduled task does not run after removing RDP logon access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scheduled task does not run after removing RDP logon access: Hi, Allow me try to explain step by step: 1. I had an account in ms windows. 2. I wrote n scheduled some .bat files... worked fine 3. The admin removed rdp logon access from this account using gp. Account still exist in local admin 4.ISSUE: scheduled scripts not...
  8. Clipboard logon problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clipboard logon problem: Why does Clipboard sign on ask for Microsoft account and then after clicking there it shows Facebook account request. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipboard-logon-problem/9159f4e0-5760-4fe6-ab55-02b9c3126671"
  9. Logon/Login Problems

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Logon/Login Problems: Greetings, first let me make my self clear(as I was accused on another forum) in no way do I want to hack, steal, bypass, or do anything else I've been accused of. I simply seek advice from others who may have had a similar problem. Last week I had changed my MS password...
  10. Logon Problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Logon Problem: Here is my dilemma: I am running Win 10 Home. At first I had on my Lockscreen Windows Spotlight. But it also had a message from Microsoft to join Rewards. Even though I turned off all notifications, it still showed up and as soon as I was logged on, it would take me to MS...