Windows 10: Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer

Discus and support Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a persistent issue with the Downloads folder in Windows Explorer. I used a program called Winaero Tweaker to re-organize the left-hand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by witten1972, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer

Hi, I have a persistent issue with the Downloads folder in Windows Explorer.

I used a program called Winaero Tweaker to re-organize the left-hand side pane in Windows Explorer.
    To test it out I chose the option to remove the Downloads folder, and then put it back quickly thereafter...

At first glance this worked as it should be, but closer inspection showed that the default icon in the navigation pane of Explorer changed to a common folder.

Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer [​IMG]

Yet when I go to C:\Users\My Profile the Download folder looks fine.

Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer [​IMG]

I can live with a different icon, tho my issue arises when I work with files in the Downloads folder, accessed via the left hand side navigation pane. The latter is important, because when I access the Downloads folder thru my Profile I can open a .zip file, cut or rename a file I'm working on with no problem at all.

Like I said when I'm working in a random folder and have to use a file stored in the Downloads folder I access it via the navigation pane of Explorer and then that folder hangs for a while and then I can work on it, or just freezes and I have to end that process and restart Explorer.

I also notice that my PC has to work very hard during the phase I'm working in that folder. Windows usually works smoothly, and I like to work fast, so its really frustrating to have to wait many seconds, or even minutes before I can continue working.

Suffice to say that Winaero Tweaker screwed things up, and if you ask me it might have something to do with permissions. Then again, if I knew the root cause of my problem I wouldn't be here eh *Wink So all things said I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable then me to assist me and offer adequate help...

Thanks for reading my plight this far and hopefully you can mend my problem...

Regards Carlos.

:)

witten1972, Dec 29, 2017
  2. Arul_D Win User

downloads folder in Internet Explorer 11

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If you delete files from the downloads folder your files will be deleted from the device.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Dec 29, 2017
  3. downloads folder in Internet Explorer 11

OT- ronnie

what happens if i remove a download from the list of 'downloads' - do i lose the programme?

ronnieeden, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer

Run a system restore to before the issue pal, just one of those things lol.

kingtez1984, Dec 29, 2017
  5. System Restore is not an option because I have this problem for a while and I don't have any restore points from before my issues came to light.

Also replacing the Downloads folder with a previous version, via Properties of the Downloads folder doesn't help.

And yes I already did a "sfc/scannow" & "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" to na avail at all...

witten1972, Dec 29, 2017
  6. I do have an Image stored as backup, and if my problem was just the Downloads folder in My profile I could replace that easily, but since my problem occurs within Explorer I don't know how to tackle this...

witten1972, Dec 29, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Have you tried an in place upgrade/repair install?

Cliff S, Dec 29, 2017
  8. Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer

I use the latest version of Windows 10, so I don't see how I could upgrade, which leaves us with a repair install.
    No I haven't thought of that, because I figured there might be a less drastic option than this.
    Haven't said that I recently installed the latest major update (Fall Creators update, or something like that) and that didn't resolve my issue.

witten1972, Dec 29, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    In Winaero Tweaker there is a button to Reset to Default after every action. Have you tried this?
    Also, you can Right click the Downloads folder on the Left panel, choose Properties/Previous Versions tab. Or go to the Customize tab and choose Restore Default or Change Icon

spunk, Dec 29, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    A repair install is an in place upgrade.
    But you might want to try.
    Just mount an ISO in file explore, and be very sure to select keep programs and files, otherwise it will become a clean install.
    I was careless once, but was lucky and had a system image to go back on.

You could also try running this in an admin command prompt to set if it reverts the changes Tweaker made:

Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

Cliff S, Dec 29, 2017
  11. "Right click the Downloads folder on the Left panel, choose Properties/Previous Versions tab.
    Or go to the Customize tab and choose Restore Default"
    Tried these options already and it didn't cure my problem.
    But this one nailed it buddy!"In Winaero Tweaker there is a button to Reset to Default after every action. Have you tried this?"
    Worked like a charm, thanks a lot man!
    Also thanks to the other participants in this thread.
    Best wishes for 2018 guys ;-)

witten1972, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer

1. Problem with the Downloads folder in Explorer - Similar Threads - Problem Downloads folder

2. Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer: I have a Dell laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalledAn issue I've had since the start is that the Downloads folder often hangs when I open it in explorer. It can take about 2 minutes before explorer responds again.Today the issue occurred once after using Explorer to...
  3. Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer: I have a Dell laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalledAn issue I've had since the start is that the Downloads folder often hangs when I open it in explorer. It can take about 2 minutes before explorer responds again.Today the issue occurred once after using Explorer to...
  4. Folder download problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder download problem: Hello, I accidentally deleted the DOWNLOADS folder on my laptop, but when I was able to return the folder name and also the contents of the folder the same as the DOCUMENTS folder, I tried to restore the location but the result remained the same. I need help urgently. I use...
  5. Folder download problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder download problem: Hello, I accidentally deleted the DOWNLOADS folder on my laptop, but when I was able to return the folder name and also the contents of the folder the same as the DOCUMENTS folder, I tried to restore the location but the result remained the same. I need help urgently. I use...
  6. Folder download problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer issue - upload/download/folder creation problem

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issue - upload/download/folder creation problem: Hello guys, I have a really big issue with hiccups on my Win10 (build: 10.0.19043) machine. Almost every time I create or delete a folder inside File Explorer I experience a hiccup/freeze lasting a few seconds after which I have to refresh the File Explorer window to see...
  8. Downloads Folder Freezes Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downloads Folder Freezes Explorer: When I click on the Downloads folder under This PC on the leftmost pane of Windows Explorer, the explorer.exe process freezes. The memory/CPU usage keeps continuously increasing until I terminate the process from the Task Manager. This issue does not happen if I navigate to...
  9. View in "Downloads" folder in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    View in "Downloads" folder in windows explorer: My Downloads folder sorts my downloads by name but it also sorts them by date categories. Exp: Yesterday - Last Week - Last Month - A Long Time Ago. I didn't have those time divisions before, they were just sorted by name. How do I get the Yesterday - Last Week - Last Month -...
  10. File Explorer Downloads Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Downloads Folder: After the 1903 update, the Download's folder in File Explorer is now showing a history of downloads, e.g., notice that Downloads is showing a download from "Last week (1)". How can I stop this folder from keeping track of downloads and have it behave as all the other system...