Windows 10: Problem with the USB mass storage device driver

Discus and support Problem with the USB mass storage device driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by joeypitatwinkes, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Problem with the USB mass storage device driver

Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the control panel, but said there was a problem with the USB mass storage device driver. I reinstalled the mass storage, and it says its working properly, but the drive still wont show anywhere else. Disk management, fresh windows install, fresh linux install, boot repair cd, recovery programs, different ports and hubs, etc nothing. No problems with any other drives. Windows makes the 'device connected' sound every time its plugged in too.

The only place it appears is in my pc bios, if i press f9 to get the boot options, and select 'boot from EFI file'. Then, I can see all of the folders and select them, but thats all I can do. My pc is a HP 2740p with windows 10.

What happened was I have a lot of files on the drive, but also had some free space, enough for a system backup, but while i was making the backup, there was an error and i dont think it completed. And the drive has been invisible ever since, except in the bios.

If I could find something that will read the drive like the bios does and let me copy the files to another drive, that'd be great. Either with windows or pre-boot. I need to get my files. I found 'Hirens boot cd' which has a bunch of drive tools on it but its not working for me.

The only other thing i know to try really is to try it in a Mac, hope it shows up and can at least recover the files with a program if it doesnt just appear in the finder. I dont have a Mac, and was interested in installing OS X, but the instructions i found say that another mac is needed.

I thought I had bitlocker on it, but i guess it was off if i can browse the drive in the bios..i turned it off on the c drive to make a linux partition to see if it showed up there, but it didn't, same thing.

any other ideas?

:)

joeypitatwinkes, Jun 10, 2018
  2. Ma. Lau Win User

how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hi,

We would like to know the additional information to better assist you with USB mass storage concern. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Do yo have an updated Windows 10 on your computer?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far after your media player stopped recognizing the portable drive?
    • Do you have the updated USB driver on the current operating system that you are using?
    We are looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jun 10, 2018
  3. KevH123 Win User
    how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hello Ma. Lau:

Thank you for the reply.

Please see my answers below.

• Yes, I have an updated Windows 10 on my computer.
    • I have been trying to google the solutions and these past couple days I have been trying to update my device driver in Device Manager. However, none of the item under "disk drive" or "storage controllers" has the option to update the drive to "USB mass
      storage device". I also tried to update the driver by pointing the update path to "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" but still can't seem to fix it.
    • I am not sure if I have the updated USB driver on my Windows 10 PC. When I checked the USB controller under Device Manager, it says the software for the device is up to date.

Thanks again for the help!

KevH123, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

Problem with the USB mass storage device driver

1. Problem with the USB mass storage device driver - Similar Threads - Problem USB mass

2. USB Mass Storage Device problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  3. USB Mass Storage Device problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  4. Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device: I have been a Windows user for my whole life... starting sometime around 20 years ago I noticed that occasionally when connecting an external HDD with USB, Windows will refuse to safely eject the device even though there are no programs using it that I know of and no open...
  5. USB Mass Storage Driver

USB Mass Storage Driver: My external Hard Drive not recognized. USB Mass Storage Driver not available.What is the fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-mass-storage-driver/6cb297a3-d35e-4daf-888c-66bba5e2c34a
  6. problem ejecting USB mass storage device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    problem ejecting USB mass storage device: hi there: I received an error when trying to eject my portable drive. It states the error message in the screenshot. I can't find what program or programs/windows. How can I tell what is it? I don't have any thing opened and I still got the error message. It seems like I...
  7. Problem ejecting USB mass storage device

Problem ejecting USB mass storage device: Three USB devices were used to transfer files from one computer to another. Each was an open of file explorer then copy and paste into one drive. One drive and file explorer were each closed. How come the Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device displayed this device is...
  8. Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device: It is getting to the point where every time I leave a USB device plugged into my computer for more than 5 minutes, when I try to eject it, I get the INCREDIBLY annoying message: “Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device. This device is currently in use. Close any programs or...
  9. USB mass storage device problem

USB mass storage device problem: I am running a windows 10. AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.5Ghz 8GB Ram 64 Bit Windows Version 1803 I am trying to do some work where I need to write data (3D print files) to an SD card for printing. It is part of a product testing cycle. When I first turn the...
  10. Problems with USB SCSI Mass Storage Device

Problems with USB SCSI Mass Storage Device: Everytime my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive is plugged into my PC (Windows 10 64bit), Window's Event Viewer repeatedly reports warning messages: Event 129, UASPStor Reset to device,\Device\Raidport1, was issued Also, USB 3 write speed was extremely...