Windows 10: Problem with UK Government sites access

Discus and support Problem with UK Government sites access in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a problem with UK Government sites on this computer. I have tried accessing and filing on the companies house site, and have today tried to file... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Toddbooks, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Toddbooks Win User

Problem with UK Government sites access

I have a problem with UK Government sites on this computer. I have tried accessing and filing on the companies house site, and have today tried to file a tax return with HMRC. In both cases I have been able to log in, but when moving to the next step to actually do anything I get either an error message or a screen freeze. I have not had problems with any other websites.
    I have used an old laptop computer and found that both sites work well on that machine without problems, using the same email address and access codes, so it would seem that the problem lies with this computer but I cannot work out what the problem might be.
    Are there any suggestions as to what I could try?

:)

Toddbooks, Jul 2, 2017

2. Blocked Government Sites

Hi Mitch,

Have you run windows update yet to upgrade your windows version and Microsoft software?

Start>Settings>Updates and Security

If possible include links to websites that you are having problems with your questions. This allows us to visit the exact same site as you and to do some tests to give you informed answers.

Regards.

IECUSTOMIZER, Jul 2, 2017
  3. Jane Lla Win User
    Blocked Government Sites

Hello Mitch,

If the Use recommended security and compatibility settings (from the security window) was enabled, most likely IE11 will block the access to said website.

Windows Defender SmartScreen helps protect you from malicious websites and software by sending some web addresses to Microsoft to be checked. Compatibility list are downloaded to make Internet Explorer 11 features work better with changing websites and older
    PC hardware.

You can read more about this in our
    Microsoft Privacy Statement
    article.

As a workaround, if you're sure that the website you're trying to access is secure, you may add the web address or whitelist the URL to give authorization and confirm access. Here's how:

IE11 > Settings (gear icon) >
    Internet Options
    > Security tab > Trusted sites > click on the
    Sites button > follow the on-screen instruction on how to add the website.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Jane Lla, Jul 2, 2017
  4. robgr Win User

Try clearing browser history, cache etc
    Failing that try a different browser.

robgr, Jul 2, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    Do you have any form of ad blocker installed?

Bastet, Jul 2, 2017
  6. Toddbooks Win User
    Sorry for the delay in coming back.
    It looks as if the cache might be the problem, since following the procedure above seems to have improved things - some aspects seem to work although I have not explored the problem sites in detail.
    Thanks

Toddbooks, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with UK Government sites access - Similar Threads - Problem Government sites

2. accessing site problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    accessing site problem: Whenever I try to log on to my servers website, I get an "error has occurred, try again or call us" message which just repeats. Yet I can log on using my android phone Similarly, when accessing a travel booking site, I get an "your session has expired message", again I can...
  3. accessing site problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accessing site problem: Whenever I try to log on to my servers website, I get an "error has occurred, try again or call us" message which just repeats. Yet I can log on using my android phone Similarly, when accessing a travel booking site, I get an "your session has expired message", again I can...
  4. accessing site problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Edge - unable to download legitimate files from government site

in Browsers and Email
    Edge - unable to download legitimate files from government site: Repeatedly tried to download a file from a government site. Only accessible using login credentials. In the end I gave up and used Chrome to download the file. Normally Edge would show a bar at the bottom of the window asking what to do with the file. Enabled the "Ask me...
  6. I have problem with access to some sites

I have problem with access to some sites: I cannot get access to some sites. I tried to disable antivirus with the same result. This problem in only on this laptop Lenovo running Windows 10. 2004...
  7. Accessing Web Sites

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accessing Web Sites: I try to get into certain web sites and get a message saying that I need permission. how do i set up my comp to allow me to access all web sites ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accessing-web-sites/bae33951-25c9-4a4a-b166-71fcda280bf8
  8. fast download of BBC series (for those with access to BBC UK sites)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fast download of BBC series (for those with access to BBC UK sites): Hi folks Seems the BBC has got a whole load of TV series on their iPlayer -- probably good for people stuck for long times at home. If you've got access to BBC site and / or UK based VPN then there's an excellent app called get_iplayer. perfectly 100% legal. get_iPlayer •...
  9. Access secure sites

Access secure sites: Cannot access my bank site on windows 10. How do I fix?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-secure-sites/0a00c61c-eb86-4b44-9045-e8b00cc370cf
  10. Microsoft sites down in UK?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft sites down in UK?: Trying to get to the Win 10 page, Access Denied or links in the Tutorial section just produces a blank page? Anyone else with this problem? 56441